Week #95 ~ O'Carolan's Lament

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is O'Carolan's Lament.

Here is a link to standard notation, abc & a midi file on abcnotation.com

Here is the abc from that site:

X: 69
    T: O'CAROLAN'S LAMENT
    B: O'Neill's 69
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    Z: Transcribed by John Chambers <jc@trillian.mit.edu>
    N: "Mournful"
    K:Dm
    (FG) \
    | A2 (A>B AG) | A2 d2 (F>G) | A2 (A>B A>^F) | G4 (=F>G) |
    | A2 (A>B AG) | A2 d2 (d>e) | f2 e>d ^ce | d4 ||
    || (d>e) \
    | f2 (e>d ^ce) | d=c A2 (d>e) | f2 (e>d ^ce) | d4 (d>e) |
    | f2 (e>d ^ce) | d=c A2 ^FG | A2 G=F (E>F) | D4 ||

Here's a link to the standard notation, with chords

Thesession.org has an abc to a tune someone has called O'Carolan's Lament, in G rather than D minor, but to me, it doesn't seem like the same tune.

Here's Wikipedia's entry on O'Carolan...

Oddly, in my quick search, I can't seem to find a tune called "O'Carolan's Lament" in the works of O'Carolan.... several called Lament for (so and so)....
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    We've had that discussion over in the O'Carolan Tunes thread: O'Neill's has 76 tunes attributed to Carolan, but a good half of those do not appear in the "definitive" 1958 edition of Carolan's complete work by Donal O'Sullivan (I posted several of those "extra" tunes over in the other thread). In the ABC Barbara has posted, the tune is annotated as coming from O'Neill, so I would think it's one of the "extra" tunes.

Martin
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's my version from a few weeks ago.

4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I liked this version and your usual quality visual creation, David. Must learn this tune now!
  5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks for this excellent demonstration, David. I had just printed out the notation and was wondering how to play it.
  6. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    David - Great job and spectacular scenery! I feel like brewing a pot of tea and eating scones! (Or sipping some whiskey...whisky?...)
  7. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    David, a top notch effort in every way.
  8. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Very nice video David. This one is a bit rough and ready in comparison. Played on a Savannah
  9. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Here it is hopefully
  10. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Maybe this time
  11. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Twenty-one O'Carolan tabs in the Cafe's tablature archive but not this one?!
    It's neither in the Mandozine tab archive, nor the Traditional Music UK archives.
    Hoping someone will post a link to the tab.
  12. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Here you go maudlin. You only need to paste in the characters after the = sign in the youtube url.
    Sounds great!
  13. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Here's mine. I gave in and tuned the Regal tenor guitar to GDAE, though you can barely hear it because I was trying to mix the super loud click track down. Also Big Muddy MW-0 mandolin. Oh, and don't miss the action sequence!
  14. Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    Alright, here we go. First time trying out the Song-a-week group -- this is my The Loar LM-700.

15. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's a tune called O'Carolan's Lament which I transcribed from the playing of harpist Laurie Riley. It's in the key of C and seems to be a different tune completely from what everyone else is playing. I started learning it about a week ago from a track on Laurie's CD. It's played on my Gibson F2 mandolin and backed up with my Baeur guitar. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did learning and playing it.

16. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Mst, that was a great first video nice control and use of tremolo

Michael, just beautiful, great arrangement great playing
  17. MLydiat
    MLydiat
    Please excuse this intervention form a newbie who is not actually a mandolin player but who does know a bit about Carolan. I don't think this tune is a Carolan composition. It is not in either the O'Sullivan or O'Neill collections - I think it might be a composition by someone else (recently) in memory of Carolan. There are NO Carolan compositions in either main collection called Carolan's Lament - though there are many laments for others.

O'Sullivan's book has a section called Tunes without Titles (numbers 171-180 in his system). Several have 'acquired' names over the years - notably 171 which The Chieftans played for the Pope's arrival in Ireland in 1979 and which they named Carolan's Welcome. For my own web site I spent the best part of 2 years arranging all Carolan's tunes for open tunings on the guitar and took the liberty of naming another in this section - in 2007 I called tune 172 Carolan's Lament - it's too good a tune to have no name - you can find me playing it on You Tube here. Thanks.
  18. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great vids so far and welcome Msthomp. O'Carolan or not, it's a great tune. Apologies for the TV, was waiting for the footy to come on.....

19. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Maudlin, 10 or 5ths, Msthomp, Michael, and Tosh, fantastic videos! Very fine playing and enjoyable work by all - Thanks!
    Oh, and this really is a profoundly beautiful song. It has such a strong Elizabethan/English Renaissance feel...I suspect John Paul Jones and Ritchie Blackmore (Blackmore's Night) have played this tune a time or two.
    Thanks to everyone who voted to make this song a SAW - Great choice.
    I very much look forward to learning it.
    Oh and MLydiat, I really liked your performance of "172 Carolan's Lament" as well.
  20. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    MLydiat: I think you're right that this tune was not written by Carolan. However, it is indeed in O'Neill's Music Of Ireland with the name "O'Carolan's Lament", and the number #69 -- he just doesn't attribute the authorship to Turlough Carolan. So, the tune is not a modern composition but dates from at least 1903 (when O'Neill's book was published).

Either way, it's a very nice tune, and I've recorded two versions of it: first one on my Ajr and the second on my long-scale bouzouki (tuned GDAE). The Ajr version has a few double-stops thrown in, and the zouk version has the tune played three times through, each time with a different technique (first plain melody, then with added drones, then an octave up).

Martin
  21. Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    It's fun to see how many different ways people have this already. I was a little worried when recording about whether or not I should just stick to the sheet music or try to embellish the melody a little since I had no backing music. Seeing how everybody else is throwing a little bit of their own flavor into the pot is great. After all, a whole bunch of people all trying to play the same song could very easily turn into a war flashback of the days when chair tests were the norm. *shudders at the thought*

Great playing everybody!
  22. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    Here's me and my son Tim.
  23. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    A lament is a song or hymn of mourning composed or performed as a memorial to a dead person. As such all of the above tunes qualify and should keep us under the radar of the "music police"...

"Good job" to Tim and father tnt2002. Martin, very nicely done as usual. Tosh, who won the game? (Good job on the mandolin too!)
  24. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Nice comparison Martin, love the Ajr. tnt2002 it's good to start 'em young in music and I'm sure Tim has a great future, I started late so there's no hope for me!!!! Michael, it was an FA Cup Replay Man City 5 Notts County 0. As a Man Utd fan I was hoping City would get knocked out, but it was not to be although the scoreline doesn't reflect the game, where County had their chances early on. I rushed my mandolin vid but time isn't on my side lately...six day working week at the mo but it pays the bills.....
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm playing it here on my Petersen tenor guitar. I changed it up (like David did), in the next to the last measure, changing the f# to an f natural...

26. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Extremely nice, Barbara. And wow, that's a big bodied tenor guitar. Maybe it's the camera angle but it appears to be a full sized guitar body with a tenor neck. Whatever it's origin it sounds great...
  27. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Work is the curse of the pickin man. Today was my first chance to sit down and check out the tune for this week. It was one I had never heard, but I like it a lot. I'll be playing it for years to come. With that little red light off I'm already playing it better. I couldn't find any of my good picks this morning so I shouldn't have even tried tremelo, but my hand has a mind of its own. Thanks for all of the great posts they really helped in learning this song. Looks like Martin started something last week. More Tenors.
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's the best I could do, multi-tracking-wise... this is me playing my mandolin along with the youtube video I just made. I basically just played the A part all the way through....

29. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Michael. It's a tough day for laments. The sun is shinning here. Any day I can hear your F2 is a good day. Watching Tnt and his son has to make you happy. Barbara's smile, British tellie, cats running away when you play [just like mine], a new member [who plays better than me], trying to play both of Martins posts at the same time, using David's and maudlins posts to learn a new song, and beating Marcelyn to the post before her kids steal the show, these things make me happy.
    Gary
  30. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Lots of interesting ideas out there. David's version is wonderful (although he had a headstart on us). I see just about everybody, me included, took their cue on tempo from David -- when I first sightread the music, I played it at typical lament speed, but when I heard David playing it much faster, it sounded more right to me, so I increased my tempo.

Barbara, it sounds great on the Petersen. Interesting work on the double-tracked version: I wouldn't have thought of using the A part as the harmony to the B part (or vice versa, as you prefer), but they mesh just fine.

Incidentally, I checked the online edition of O'Neill's at the Old Music Project, which has the tune transposed up to F-minor. Sheet music is here and the ABC is:

X:0069
    T:"O'Carolan's Lament" (air) 0069
    C:Unattributed (O'Carolan??)
    B:O'Neill's Music Of Ireland (The 1850) Lyon & Healy, Chicago 1903 ed.
    C:mournfully
    N:Transposed from Bb
    Q:1/4=60
    I:abc2nwc
    Z:FROM O'NEILL'S TO NOTEWORTHY, FROM NOTEWORTHY TO ABC, MIDI AND .TXT BY VINCE BRENNAN 6-21-03 (HTTP://WWW.SOSYOURMOM.COM)
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    K:A
    "_vb"(AB)|c2(c3/2d/2 cB)|c2f2(A3/2B/2)|c2(c3/2d/2 c3/2^A/2)|B4(A3/2B/2)|
    c2(c3/2d/2 cB)|c2f2(f3/2g/2)|a2g3/2f/2 ^eg|f4||
    (f3/2g/2)|a2(g3/2f/2 ^eg)|fe c2(f3/2g/2)|a2(g3/2f/2 ^eg)|f4(f3/2g/2)|
    a2(g3/2f/2 ^eg)|fe c2^AB|c2BA (G3/2A/2)|F4|]

Possibly noteworthy that the tune is annotated "mournfully" and the tempo given as 60bpm, i.e. one quarter note a second. That's slower than most (or all?) of the above, but not vastly slower. By my reckoning, I played it at about 72bpm.

Martin
  31. Toycona
    Toycona
    Tremendous effort, GK. So moody...you capture the spirit of the lament perfectly. Even the shooting of the video contributed to the overall look and feel of the piece. Well done
  32. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I felt compelled to have another bash at this as I wasn't happy with my first effort. I did it three times, once on the Paul Shippey 10 String, once on the Paul Shippey Cherry and lastly on the Eastman 815........

33. Eddie Sheehy
    Played on a 1913 Gibson K2...

34. Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    great sounding K2, Eddie.
  35. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Eddie you gotta quit feeding your mandolins so much. They'e all huge. [But Cool]
    Tosh that was a great slight of hand. Turning 2 Shippey's into an Eastman.
    If you could turn an Eastman into 2 Shippey's I'd send you one.
    Gary
  36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie... that was the MOST lament-ful version yet!!!!
  37. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Wow, once again everyone is really stepping up on this one!
    All of the submissions are just excellent - Well done Everyone!

For those (like me) who can not read standard notation, I transposed the standard notation provided by Barbara in the first post to tab. It can be found here.

Also, here's my take:

38. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Here's my take on mandolin and mandola - with apologies for Abbey (our dog) jumping up in the background...
  39. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Let's try that again...

40. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Ed - nice job. I couldn't figure out how to convert to tab from abc so I gave it a shot by ear.
  41. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Chris, excellent job! I'm particularly impressed you did your arrangement by ear.
    Very good work...Oh, and nice job by Abbey also.
  42. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Also, at the risk of being redundant, I want to say again what great work I think everyone is doing on this song...I'm very impressed by all of the videos here.

It is so delightful to be able to listen to several arrangements of a song when one is trying to learn it. I struggled so during my lessons a few months ago because I was trying to learn songs I hadn't heard, and that I was not at all familiar with.

I guess I'm just trying to express my appreciation for what's going on in this group. Thanks, and good work everyone!
  43. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Agreed! I'm very impressed with all of the posts and how the group members manage to tackle so much material in such a short timeframe. Being new to SAW, I'm also enjoying checking out all the prior threads - they're an excellent resource!
  44. Toycona
    Toycona
    Here's my quick upload of this song. I learned it literally by listening to all of these fantastic versions.1na4aYJwQgY
  45. Toycona
    Toycona
    Let's try that posting again...

46. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Great job! Very clean - the Mann sounds excellent!
  47. Toycona
    Toycona
    It's a really nice instrument. I couldn't be happier.
  48. Bernd Bannach
    Bernd Bannach
    So many different ideas for playing one tune, I am very impressed. Here is my version, played on my Weber Octar.
  49. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Bernd. Your Octar is a beaut. Are they 24 inch necks? This group is blessed with a lot of beautiful and great sounding instruments. By the way I love my Eastman. But, I would trade it for 2 Shippeys.
    Gary
  50. Bernd Bannach
    Bernd Bannach
    Gary, it has a 23 1/2 inch scale and with my short fingers I would not want it longer.
    Bernd
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast