Week #85 ~ Golden Slippers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week was a tie, and I hope that the 'loser' this week, ends up being the 'winner' next week! I had to choose, and since it's been a while since we had an old-time tune, I chose Golden Slippers.

Here is a link to the standard notation and abc on abcnotation.com

Here is standard notation, lyrics & a midi file on digitaltradition.

Here is a link to the search results (.tef files) on mandozine.com

Here's some ABC

X:7008
    T:Golden Slippers
    T:Dem Golden Slippers
    Z:Paul Hardy's Session Tunebook 2010 (see www.paulhardy.net). Creative Commons cc by-nc-sa licenced.
    R:Reel
    C:James A. Bland (1879)
    O:USA
    M:4/4
    L:1/4
    Q:1/4=200
    K:D
    d/e/|"D"ff f/e/d/e/|ff fd/e/|ff gf|"A7"fe ec/d/|
    "A"ee/f/ e/d/c/d/|ee/f/ ec/d/|eg fe|"D"ed d:|
    |:B|"D"A3d/e/|fe d=c|"G"B3e/f/|"Em"gf ed|"A"^c>Bcd|
    |1"A"e>fec|"D"d3/2c/ de|fd"A7"c:|2"A"e2 g2|ff/g/ fe|"D"d3|]
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    I keep confusing the A part with Polly-Wolly-Doodle...
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    And wanting to go eat my Golden Grahams!
  4. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    .tef for Std Notation and the TAB's
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...5&d=1292008035
  5. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    Hi all,

I actually voted for this song this week (a first...I voted!), so I figured the least I can do is post something. I learned this version from Roland White's book, where he tells the story that his mom would always put down whatever she was doing to dance to this tune.

Here's my debut contribution to SAW group (another first!). Been enjoying this group for over a year now, but just haven't really gotten the gumption (er...guts...) to record anything. Hope you like it.

6. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    Hmm, having trouble posting the youtube video.

Here's the URL: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../0/O7dk-oUcwjE

I've read Barbara's guidance on how do to this but can't seem to make that work...cany anyone give me some guidance?
  7. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Good job, clean picking.
    I will try to give you the instructions:
    When you wanna post your message, scroll down to the bottom. Do you see the button "Go Advanced" ? Click on it.
    You should now see a lot more icons, including "Tube"
    Write your message. Where you want to insert your video, click on "Tube".
    You will get a window.
    In YouTube, copy the last part of your video info after the "=" sign.
    Copy this into the "Tube" window in your message.
    Post the message.
    Now you should see yourself
    Hope this makes sense.
  8. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Nice playing Eric. Here is my attempt.http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...9&d=1292072490
  9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really nice guys. Eric, I really like the slides and double stops in the B part.

Eddie, thanks a lot, I wasn't confusing the two tunes until reading your insightful post. Now, you may get an unintentional medly from me.
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eric, very nice contribution! I think the problem with posting, is that what you linked to is your 'channel', so the url is for the video within your channel, and not just the url straight up for the video (if that makes sense). Not knowing how to get from your channel, to the video (not in your channel), I did a search for Chakatrain, then clicked on Golden Slippers, and then I got your video, and copied the code after the "=" in the URL.

11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely version there Eric! I've just realized that I actually know this tune because the great John Carty does a version of this on the tenor banjo as one of the last tracks on his "I Will if I Can" CD.
  12. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    Hi all...thanks for the kind words (they help!) and the tips for posting the vid. Barb & Manfred: thanks for figuring the help and explanations. Next time should be even smoother! Fun tune.
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Golden Slippers played on the Mandonator.

14. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Nice version David. My father would have loved your version of that tune. I like it too.
  15. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Awesome David! And it really got my new puppy's attention as well - he's sat here on my lap in front of the lap top and his eyes were riveted to the screen the whole time your clip was on! This is a fun tune, gotta work on it tomorrow...
  16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Did this real quick as I'm about to head out the door - heavily influenced by the version John Carty plays. Looking forward to trying it on my soon to be arriving B & D Silver Bell tenor!

17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nice Jill! I've always loved this tune and yes, I too, get the A part confused with Polly Wolly Doodle!
  18. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Jill, I love that version and am going to have to track down the CD. Tonight, I brought my Gibson A downstairs to take advantage of the crackling fire and festive decore.

19. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Oh Them Golden Slippers... that was a little slice of mandolin heaven, thanks Marcelyn!
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    That was awesome Marcelyn, and very festive indeed!
  21. Susanne
    Susanne
    Hi all, very nice playing from you!!
    I have no time to learn things decently right now, can only play music a few minutes here and there. But I've played this tune before so I decided to record it just to let you know I'm still around..

I have new glasses so I don't squint so bad anymore and my skin is better after going gluten free, so to celebrate that I let you see more than my mandolin for once .

I actually wanted to sing this, but there are so many words to squeeze in, so no, not this time at least... so many words, so little time!

22. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Susi, that was great with all the slides and old-time character. Now that you've let the cat out of the bag, I'm going to keep bugging you until you sing something.

Thanks Jill and Michael. Maybe this "slice of mandolin heaven" will balance out a few of my earlier postings--pieces of mandolin purgatory or worse.
  23. Susanne
    Susanne
    Thanks Marcelyn!! Hmm.... maybe some Christmas song within reasonable time.. maybe...
  24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff, Susi!
  25. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    All a very nice job indeed! I worked this up this weekend in the key of G, but haven't gotten it recorded yet. I have always heard it and played it in the key of G, but I "youtubed" it and only found it in C and D. I even googled it and only found it in C and D. Go figure.
  26. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I was thinking my fiddle teacher taught it to me in G too, Martin, but I can't be sure.
  27. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    Marcelyn, that was truly awesome. I love all the double stops. Is that version tabbed anywhere?
    Jill, nice version, love that Vintage A.
    Susi, another nice version, first video I've seen from you, hope to see more!

The notation I got was pretty boring, so I added a backing track on my guitar, and played it an octave lower the first time around.
  28. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks TNT, I'll bet the tab is around somewhere, but my method this time was to play an open string along with the melody whenever possible, and when it sounded bad find the note on that string that fit.

Nice work on your guitar-mandolin duet. Someday, I hope to work on fun stuff like making backing tracks.
  29. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    I love the versions posted here...so different...each pulling something different out of the tune.
  30. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I wasn't so concerned with playing all the melody just right and it's really sloppy on the execution to boot still I think it has that old time feeling I was after. This is a really fun tune!

31. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Michael - that was the business!
  32. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really great, Michael! You've got this signature style in your playing that's just amazing.
  33. Susanne
    Susanne
    Nice job, Michael, more bluegrass than oldtime, but NICE. I'm not a lot into bluegrass anymore, but I like your playing. You get that sweet tone out of the mandolin. Beautiful!
  34. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    You're a mando maniac Michael!
  35. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Why doesn't my Kentucky sound like that when I play it. Great fun stuff Micheal.
  36. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic versions by everyone, I love the variety of the posts so far. Mine is a rush job and I used the version from Rich Del Grosso's book The Hal Leonard Mandolin Method, which incorporates tremelo, at which I'm poor and it shows. Maybe I should call mine Golden Kippers..........

37. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Nice 'n' clean Tosh. And I thought your tremolos sounded fine. I especially liked that last chord. Was that an A#m7th twice diminished?
  38. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Martin, it's called the 'Chord Of Frustration'!!!!!! I'm totally diminished!!!!!
  39. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Loved the tremelo, Tosh - well done to you sir!
  40. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Good job all around with a great alternate song title. (Hey I think I know that ending chord too... did you use an E-gad or was it maybe a D-molished?
  41. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I don't know, Michael, it sounded like L to me.

Great job Tosh. I like your varieation on the melody. That's funny to hear someone else put those chords in. They're after at least half my takes.
  42. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Thanks for the kind words guys, I love D-molished but I think it was more E-god than gad !!!!!! Happy Xmas to All......
  43. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Here's my submission in the Key of G.

44. Eddie Sheehy
    Tosh, I think that last chord was A7th Demolished... very nice rendition.
  45. ieatcrayons
    ieatcrayons
    As usual lots of great stuff from everyone.

Here's my attempt once through, still having trouble recording audio without lots of noise but doesn't seem as bad.

Decided to try to keep from planting my pinky, as well as tried to pay attention to pick direction, and tried to bring up to tempo as best I could.

It's far from perfect, but I think I'm making some progress

46. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely done! Congrats
  47. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Very clean. Good job.
  48. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Good clean picking and steady tempo Crayon-Eater.
  49. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice playing by everyone above. I am so late this time that there are too many before me to be praised by name.

I have been having trouble uploading my video, and will try to post later.
  50. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    It took the whole night for my video to process after uploading.

I am afraid I have cheated again: the accompaniment is courtesy of Band-in-a-Box. I am envious of the multi-instrumentalists out there who can do everything themselves. I am a dabbler on the guitar at best, so I just don't have the time to get the guitar recorded too.

Here we go:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast