Week #84 ~ Farewell to Gurteen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Farewell to Gurteen, which is an Irish jig.

Here is the abc from thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Farewell To Gurteen
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmaj
    |: F2 D FGA | dfd ecA | F2 D FAF | GEF GFE|
    F2 D FGA | dfd ecA | fef gec | Adc d2 A :|
    |:d2 f fef | dfd ecA | dAF D2 f | ece gfe|
    dAd fef | dcA AFA | Ace gec | Adc d3 :|
  2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Hurrah! I love this tune! I had already recorded this a few weeks back when I first got the Vintage A, so I guess I'm the first one to hand in me homework! Played on my '08 Weber Custom Vintage A, using a Blue Chip TD35 pick...

3. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Awesome stuff Jill, the triplets are great as usual, something I have been working on but lack a bit of consistency at speed. The Vintage A sounds superb......
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks Tosh! When I first started playing triplets I used to notice that I could play them fine slowly, but at speed they were a bit patchy - then my banjo teacher pointed out to me that at speed I was actually playing them a wee bit too fast so timing wise it would throw me off. She said to back off a bit, speed wise, when playing the actual triplets - I did just that, and like magic, suddenly my triplets at speed sounded a million times better!
  5. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Beautiful tune and it sounds wonderful from your hands, Jill. One more on my the very long "to learn"-list. Your new mandolin sounds really punchy and round to me, nice. It seems to be loud, too.
    Thanks for the little triplet-workshop. Thatīs something I have to work on. Iīll check this out, what your banjo teacher said. Was this Angelina Carberry?
  6. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    .tef file for STD Notation and TABz

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...5&d=1291385664
  7. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks for the excellent demonstration, Jill.
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Michael - thanks for the kind words, and "round" is exactly one of the words I've found myself using to describe the sound of the Vintage A. It's definitely louder than my Gallatin was. And yes, it was Angelina who gave me the tip about my triplets.

Manfred - you're very welcome sir, glad you enjoyed it!
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    A great bouncy tune for a Friday morning. Maith a cailin, Jill.
  10. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Well done as always Jill.
  11. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    awesome!! Love the hammer-ons in the A part! This is definitely one I'll be working on
    It always feels nice to be inspired.
  12. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Awesome Jill. I hope you don't mind I took the liberty of tabbing your version. I think it's close anyway. I much prefer it to the other versions I've seen.

X:1
    T: Farewell To Gurteen
    C:
    L:1/8
    Q:240
    M:6/8
    K:D
    z4[Az]G |: FAE FDD | dfd ecA | EFF DEF | GFG BAG | FAE FDD | dfd ecA | fef gec | \
    ABc d2A :|3 D(3DDD FDF | DFA AFA | DFA DFA | ECE GFE | D(3DDD FDF | DFA AFA | ABA GFE | \
    FDD D3 :| \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers for the kind words folks! I learnt this from Angelina Carberry's playing and the "hammer ons" are something she utilizes a fair bit. Oh, and I have to mention this: I heard some mp3 short sample clips from her da, Peter Carberry's CD "Traditional Music from County Longford" and it is awesome! Lots of banjo on it courtesy of Angelina and also I think from Peter himself (he usually plays the box). A must have and definitely on the top of my "to buy" list...
  14. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff there David! And your Sobell sounds awesome as always!
  15. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    David, fantastic and it's always nice to hear a Sobell! Here's mine, a bit tentative and short and sweet.....

16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice job Tosh! That sounded lovely sir!
  17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Jill: you've set the bar mighty high...and we wouldn't want it any other way. Also, thanks for the triplet workshop. I can just imagine all the mandolin pickers around the world busy practicing triplets... I'd have to be included on that list. Your new bridge on the Vintage A seems to be settling in nicely. I'll bet you've noticed quite a difference between now and when you first got it back from the shop.

David: Great picking on a superb instrument. (I always like your take on backing up a tune – slightly downtown but still very traditional.)

Tosh: you seem to have put your "snow days" to good use on Farewell to Gurteen. Those Sobells have incredible sustain. Are they a light mandolin compared to most?
  18. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Michael: I have definitely noticed a big difference since I first got the Vintage A back - the more I play it the better it sounds!
  19. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Jill, thanks very much for the kind words, as Michael says, the triplet workshops make being a member here worthwhile in anybody's book.
    Michael, it's freezing but the snow has gone here in London, the rest of the UK is suffering! David plays the Sobell, mine is a Paul Shippey, Indian Rosewood back & sides, Spruce top, Mahogany neck....and soooo wonderful !!!!!! We are blessed over here with a few good luthiers, Shippey, Sobell, Vanden, Davidson, Tonjes, Fylde, Forster, Moon, Buchanan and a certain Mr Kelly!!!!
  20. Charles Dumont
    Charles Dumont
    Here is my attempt. Played on my Krishot mandolin.

21. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff Charles, nice to see an F amongst the Ovals! I'll have to have another bash at this me thinks.........
  22. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Charles, that's not just an attempt, your rendition of Farewell To Gurteen was a successful performance!

Tosh, sorry about the mandolin maker mistake. In the dim lighting they do look a tiny bit alike. Paul Shippey it is! (and the mandolin still sounds great even though I got the name wrong.) No snow here at the lower elevations but lots of rain. However, above 5000 ft in our mountains there is a great deal of snow...and it can stay there too!
  23. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Michael, it's OK, Paul has called off the pack of hounds now!!!!! There are so many makers out there it's easy to get it wrong! I'll try and get a close up of the head stock next time! The tone and sustain is what I love about Paul's mando's, couldn't be happier. The north has the snow, and welcome to it they are!!!!
    This is one of those great tunes that doesn't get the attention it deserves.......
  24. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Jill, I like your banjo teachers advice on those triplets, sounds like it's working for Tosh and David too.
    Charles, I liked your B part, a bit more happening there than my version.

Here is a bit of an experiment of 1st half Mando melody, 2nd half Mando backup and flute takes the tune. Given my time over I would do something to lower the volume on the Mando backup (record it as seperate audio and post-edit or simply turn away from the mic!)

25. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Harry! It's the crack of dawn here and I'm on me way out to work but had to give a listen to this before going - well done to you sir!
  26. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Cracking Harry, always nice to hear the flute. The only other instrument I play reasonably is the drums.....not very melodic!!!!!!
  27. Toycona
    Toycona
    Excellent arrangement, Harry. And a nice mandolin. what are you playing?
  28. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I love the flute, Harry. And your mandolin chording backs it up so nicely.
  29. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Thanks, the mando is a Weber Gallatin F and the flute is an antique Hawkes and Son
  30. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's mine finally. I don't think I've attempted a song yet that changes strings so many times. It's definitely a study in accuracy.

31. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done Marcelyn! And you're so right about all the string crossing on this one - I sometimes get confused when I'm playing it because of how much it moves around!
  32. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks, Jill. Good to know I'm not the only one.
  33. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That was great Marcelyn... very fast and clean.
    (Oh, my package arrived today on the big Brown truck!)
  34. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Woo hoo! Maybe you should name her Gurteen in honor of the song of the week. Can't wait to hear it.
  35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Michael, what'd I miss? What did the big brown truck bring you?
  36. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Good show Marcelyn!
  37. Eddie Sheehy
    Do I hear a "flat" in the B part?
  38. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Barbara, nothing special... just a new National RN1 mandolin. Soon as I learn a song I'll post it so you can hear how great it sounds.
  39. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hmmm... Was that supposed to be a C sharp, Eddie?
  40. Eddie Sheehy
    A C natural?
  41. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Yeah, that's what I played, naturally.
  42. Eddie Sheehy
    I don't know the tune. I'm trying to learn it. To my ear all the version sposted have a flat note or C natural (mixolydian) in the B part. Is it just me?
  43. Eddie Sheehy
    Ah, our posts crossed. Thanks Marcy.
  44. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You're welcome. I thought this would be a tune you'd go for. Looking forward to your version.
  45. Eddie Sheehy
    Soon as I have the dots sorted out... now which instrument should I use....?
  46. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    That was another challenge for me. After finally learning D U D U D U D, I had to learn how to play the triplets D U D D U D. It was harder for the quarter note followed by an eighth note, followed by a triplet, I think you're suppose to go D D D U D.

After about 60 takes, I have to go to bed. Here's my best try.

47. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    tnt, nothing wrong with that... even if it DID take 60 takes!

You are correct in how the quarter note, then eighth note, then 3 eighth notes should be picked: D D DUD. However, I don't believe that those last 3 eighth notes are technically triplets, in this instance (but I could be wrong). This is a jig, which is 6/8 time signature. The strong beat is on count 1 and 4, and I pick jigs DUD DUD, so that beat 1 and 4 are downstrokes.

I believe that the triplets that Jill so awesomely executes, are 'ornamental' triplets. The abc that Jim Baker contributed, as his take on what Jill was playing, demonstrates the triplet in the B part. My take on those, is that without the triplet, the measure would be quarter note, eighth note (3 counts; 1,2,3) then 3 eighth notes (3 counts; 4,5,6). The way that Jim has the triplets notated in the ABC, the first count (1 2 3) of the measure, has 4 notes... the first eighth note, and then the triplet (3 notes) in the place of the 2 eighth notes. I find it's kind of tricky, adding triplets into jigs. The way that I pick that measure is DUD D (DUD). However, I could be totally wrong about this!!!!!

I did a little research about triplets, and found this 'rule': Triplets occupy the same space that two notes of that value would normally occupy. That seems to be what I was trying to explain about inserting a triplet into a jig (6/8). You are turning 2 eighth notes, into three eighth notes. I think, however, that when playing the ornamental triplet, you are actually playing 2 sixteenth notes, followed by an eighth note.

Here is a link to a discussion on playing triplets, with some music files you can listen to, to hear what he's describing.

This is another good article on triplet ornamentation in Celtic music In this one, he uses a reel (4/4 time) to demonstrate.

I got Enda Scahill's tenor banjo tutor, and in that, concerning ornamental triplets, he said that he didn't really care what pick direction you used to pick the ornamental triplet, but that you should always pick the NEXT note, as a downstroke.

Hope this makes sense!
  48. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    More on triplets! Mike Keyes (a member here!) has this online:

https://sites.google.com/a/mikekeyes...hatdarntriplet

Be sure to check out all the videos, etc. on the left side of the page!
  49. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    nice version there tnt2002 - you get a lovely "jig" feel to it, which is sometimes easier said than done! And I so know about that "60 take" feeling - the worst is when I do tons of takes and then still end up going with the first or second one!!
  50. Eddie Sheehy
    I've done that so many times that now I just go with the first one - flubs included. It puts down a marker that I can improve on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast