Week #81 ~ Sally Gooden / Sally Goodin

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Sally Gooden (Goodin)

I'm not familiar with this tune, here's what I've found:

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=ww.../publicdo/0078

This is the abc from the above site (abcnotation.com)

X: 79
    T:Sally Goodin
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    Q:120
    C:Traditional
    R:Reel
    K:A
    AB|"A"cABc A2 AB|cABA F A2 B|cABc ABAF|[1"E"ECEA "A"F A2 B:|[2"E"ECEA "A
    "F A3||!
    "A"ABcd e2 cd|efed cAcd|efed cdcB||[1"E"ABAF "A"EF AB:|[2"E"ABAF "A"EF A
    2|]

Jay Buckey's site has free tablature

http://www.jaybuckey.com/free_tablature.htm

Here is a link to the search results for Sally Goodin TEF files on www.mandozine.com
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    This is a really fun fiddle tune with great lyrics if anyone cares to attempt that. The trick to making it sound like the fiddle players do is feeling like a contortion act right now, so I might just practice it and leave it off the recording, but who knows. If you want to try, place your pinky on the 7th fret of the D string to make that string an A just like the one next to it. You keep the pinky there the whole time you're fingering the melody on the A string. When the melody moves up to the E string or down to the D, you play the open A along with it and it sounds like you never switched strings.
  3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    If you're not familiar with this tune, like me, here is a great version with a little history. Actual music starts about 1:20
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE1-rbi9Y2M
  4. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Here is another .tef for SN and TABs
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...2&d=1289568175
  5. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    Barb,

How can you be from Texas and never heard Sally Goodin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU_-QAFZq4I
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    This tune sounds great on a fiddle, so I set out with the intention to get an old timey feel in my playing. I started with the Jay Buckey arrangement and started playing the main theme but after numerous times through the tune I had discovered that the melody has morphed into something else. I tried to play some old timey backup but that too morphed into something else. Long story short: This is not Sally Goodin but I'm not inclined to try again. My humble apologies.

7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That sure sounded like Sally Gooden to me, David. I like the chords you put with it too. Someday, I hope to develop your knack of changing up a melody each time through.
  8. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Mission complete! well part 1 of many. I have this down on guitar, now just need to record a rhythm track. Then I will do guitar and mandolin to it. Start new job tomorrow, so I will have less time to work on it, so may be posted Thursday of Friday.
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice work, David. It may not be Sally Gooden, but it is Sally Goodenuff.
  10. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Yay, Old Sausage is back! I was just thinking that I wish I could hear the way you'd play this one.
  11. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    That sounded great, David and it is soundin' like Sally Goodin'. Mandonator for ever!!!!

I thought I smelled some Sausage? Could it be possible your heavy work load might be letting up enough to come on back and hang a bit here?
  12. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Sally Goodenuff. LOL. Nice job as always David.
  13. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    David, as with OS, it's Goodenuff for me too. Beautiful relaxed feel....just love it....
    Good to see OS back around....
  14. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I found this a toughie, but I mullered it!!!!

15. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    My arrangement is becoming a little to involved and difficult task to take on since I just started a new job today. Busy week with all the new work related info I have to learn this week . Hoping it turns out when I find time to take it on.
  16. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    If "muller" means to give a brilliant performance, then I agree. That rendition sounded very natural and old timey, Tosh.
  17. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Thanks for the kind words Marcelyn, the term 'muller' is used here much in the same way as 'bodge'. I think the Americans would probably use 'botch' or 'fudge'. Chambers dictionary says it's a 'Heavy stone or iron pulverizing tool'! Well I pulverized it alright!!!!
    The version I used was from Andy Statman's 'Teach Yourself Bluegrass Mandolin'..........
  18. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    David: great job on Ms. Goodin (Sally Goodin's big city cousin).
    Tosh: loved all the variations and the relaxed way you played it. (Didn't sound fudged to me!)
  19. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    According to your dictionary, mullered could mean a tune that's been beaten into submission then. My takes of Sally Gooden last night weren't mullered yet but definitely bodged.
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Good 'un there Tosh! And David's free form mandonator version was "mand-tastic"!
  21. luckylarue
    luckylarue
    Great version Tosh. I learned it from the same book. Will try to post a take in the next few days.
  22. Douglas McMullin
    Douglas McMullin
    Nice first videos David & Tosh. You are making me feel lazy, as I have yet to start working on this even though I voted for the song! I will try to start learning it tonight.
  23. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's an attempt at Sally Gooden. I gave up on trying to play it like I learned on fiddle, but my pinky finally got a callous, so at least some good came of the effort.

24. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Marcelyn, you have the Old Time feel well & truly nailed and your effort paid off. As for my vid I WAS beaten into submission and as you can see from the beginning I'm shaking my head because for about the 15th time I cocked up the last time around yet again and the vid you see above is when I managed to get through it!!!!!
    Jill, Luckylarue & Douglas, thanks for the kind words........
  25. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    You've got that good old time feel, Marcelyn! I could very easily dance to it if I only knew how -- I did tap my feet though...
  26. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    I found this performance - fiddle, guitar and bass - and it blew my mind:

Oh - I see now mikeyes already posted this - sorry - late to the party.

But, twice can't hurt, eh?
  27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    No, well worth posting again, what a nice touch on the fiddle she has.
  28. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Awesome fiddle performance. I love seeing/hearing the young people carry on tradition!
  29. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    I'd play Sally Goodin' all day if I could
    But the Lord and my wife wouldn't take it very good
    So I fiddle when I can, work when I should
    Thank God, I'm a country boy

30. luckylarue
    luckylarue
    A couple of contrasting styles I learned from the Bill Monroe dvd and Andy Statman's book.

31. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great performance and tone, luckylarue.
    Marcelyn, great. This time it's not just the old-timey feel, you were also dressed up appropriately
    The Mandonator, brilliant as always.
    Tosh, solid picking and good tone.
  32. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's my take on Sally Goodin'. It's played on my Kentucky KM600 with me on backup guitar. I once had the luck to be able to back up a real Texas fiddler on guitar for a bunch of years. She was one heck of a fiddler and we always played this song wherever we went. I loved listening to her play variation after variation on Sally Goodin' and have never attempted it in this style till now. It's a little ragged but you'll get the idea.

33. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Those videos were pretty amazing Luckylarue and Michael. I'm only hoping someday stuff like that will come out of my mandolin.
  34. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Michael I can only aspire to be half as "ragged" as you! That was terrific.
  35. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    That's a cool oval hole Luckylarue and a really great take on the tune......
    Michael, a cool cover sir, your version reminded me to check out Hot Club Of Cowtown, who do a great version on their 'Tall Tales' album......great band . Maybe that's where you're Texas fiddler comes in!!! ......Did Bob Wills ever cover this?
  36. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Bob Wills did, as does every other fiddler in the State of Texas. I think it's required by law...
  37. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Brilliant performances from everyone this week.
    Here is an attempt on an unlabelled Russian instrument. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...6&d=1290157930
  38. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You've definitely got the toe-tapping feel going, Duncan.
  39. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    That's an authentic Alan Lomax type feel there Duncan, great stuff.
  40. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    Michael,
    Brilliant performance, I love the backup guitar playing.

This was a really tough song, I also muddled through it. After take 45 I realized I'm not going to be perfect. It's time to start next weeks song.

41. monkeytroy
    monkeytroy
    I'm catching up again on some older tunes that I know and like. BUMP! haha

42. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Very nice, monkeytroy! You just went right up on that neck! Inspires me to learn this song.
  43. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Thanks for reminding me I have got to learn this one.
    Nice and clean picking. could I borrow your left hand sometime?
    Gary