Week #76 ~ Damon's Winder

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's tune is Damon's Winder, which was submitted as an old-time tune. I'm not familiar with this tune, so if anyone has anything to add, please do!

Here are a couple of links to a pdf of the tune in standard notation, and a midi file

http://www.me.psu.edu/lamancusa/tunes/damon'swinder.pdf

http://www.me.psu.edu/lamancusa/tunes/damon'swinder.mid
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    The midi is: http://www.me.psu.edu/lamancusa/tunes/damonswinder.mid with an apostrophe between the n and the s in damons
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, thanks for catching that. I fixed the link in the original post!
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I don't know this tune either, but it sounds like a fun one to learn. Here are the ABCs and some information about its origin.

DAMON'S WINDOW/WINDER. AKA and see "Rocky Mountain Goat," "Railroad(ing) Through the Rocky Mountains." Old‑Time, Breakdown. D Major. Standard tuning. AA’BB’. A version of “Marmaduke’s Hornpipe” save that in the third and fourth measures a ‘C’ natural note is played instead of a ‘C’ sharp. Kerry Blech explains a ‘winder’ is a type of dance-set in Kentucky where the figure winds about. It was recorded in 1934 under this title by Kentucky fiddler J.W. Day under his pseudonym, Jilson Setters. See also related tunes “Devil in Georgia [2],” “Hell Among the Yearlings,” “Mud Fence,” “Ride the Goat Over the Mountain,” “Railroad(ing) Through the Rocky Mountains,” “Rocky Mountain Goat,” “Swiss Chalet,” “Grand Hornpipe [1],” and “Cricket on the Hearth.” The title appears in a list of traditional Ozark Mountain fiddle tunes compiled by musicologist/folklorist Vance Randolph, published in 1954.

X:1
    T:Damon’s Winder
    M:C
    L:1/8
    R:Reel
    S:Bruce Molsky
    N:ABC’s from a transcription by John Lamancusa, by permission. See http://www.mne.psu.edu/lamancusa/tunes.htm
    Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion
    K:D
    ((A2 |: A)B)de (fe)df | e(de)f (ga)ge | (AB)de (fe)df | ed2B A2FF | (AB)de (fe)df |
    e(de)f g2 (g(b | b2)) e^g (ae)cA |1 d2d2d2 dB :|2 d2d2d2(A2 ||
    |: A)(BA)G (FG)AF | DF2D A,2 (A,B,|=C)E2C A,2 A,B, | =C2EC A,2 (A2 |
    A)(BA)G (FG)AF | DF2D A,2 (A,B, | =C2)C2(A,2 {B,/A,/}G,2) |1 A,2 [(D2D2]D2)(A2 :|2 A,2 [(D2D2]D4) ||

I found this information at http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/DA_DAM.htm
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    This tune was one of my tune suggestions but the version I've heard played is a bit different than what's been posted so far. Here's an abc for a simpler version closer to what I'm familiar with:

X:1
    T:Damon’s Winder
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    R:Reel
    K:D
    |:A2A2 F2F2|DED=C A,2A,A,|=C2=C2 A,2A,2|,|=C2=C2 A,2A,2|
    A2A2 F2F2|DED=C A,2A,A,|=C2=C2 A,2G,2|A,D3D4:|
    |:ABde fedf|edef g4|ABde fedf|edB2A4|
    ABde fedf|edefg2fg|a2ab agfe|dfec d4:|
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Just a note to those wanting to paste Marcelyn's ABC into www.concertina.net's converter: You need to delete the spaces between the lines (making it single spaced) before it will work!)
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's Damon's Winder on the mandonator.

Synchronicity provided free of charge by YouTube.
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Love it, David, and I can't get enough of your mandonator.

The version I'm learning has almost no resemblance to yours in either the A or B parts. I'm learning it from the fiddle wave file on the Old Time Fiddle site Barbara linked to. I wonder whether the ABCs I found match that or are a third tune altogether. It's funny how these melodies evolve over time.
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    David, love that mandonator. Here's my take on this really "twisted" song. Played on an Gibson F2 backed up with a Bauer Parlor Guitar circa 1900. (It's that tiny little guitar on left side of the video!)

10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice one Stuche, I love the tone you get out of that F2.
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great versions David and Stuche!

David -brilliant stuff! Plus every time you break out the Mandonator I feel the pangs of "Mandonator Acquisition Syndrome kick in!

Stuche - I think your F2 was born to play Old Time! Lovely playing on your part and lovely sound on the F2's part!
  12. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Wonderful guys, fantastic stuff.........
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Stuche, you make these tunes sound so effortless. It's fun to hear.
  14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Marcelyn: It was a really difficult piece to learn and took hours of practice...thank you, you've made my day!
  15. Grommet
    Grommet
    Great tune!

Like everyone else, I get a rush when David breaks out that Mandonator. Nice picking David and Stuche.

Scott
  16. Topher Gayle
    Topher Gayle
    I was delighted to see Damon's Winder was chosen here. I learned my version from the same source as David, so it's much like his, but of course I twist it up my own way... I hope to figure out how to record video sometime in November when I'll be home more, and will probably start with this tune.
  17. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Here's my attempt, not as polished, but I had a go......

18. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great job, Tosh, and you beat me to the post again.

I've figured out the reason I thought there were two versions now, and feel a little silly. David, and Tosh, your version is the one I'm working on, but my A part is your B part and vice versa.
  19. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely done, Tosh! The chord progressions for all the versions seem to be nearly the same, so I guess all the versions of the tune would work together. Just like Marcelyn, it didn't occur to me that some people's A part is another person's B part at first. As long as everyone starts and stops at the same time (with the same sounding parts played at the same time of course) I guess the "old time music police" would be satisfied!
  20. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's mine. I took my version from the field recording of the OT fiddler on the site Barbara posted. He was quite a bit faster and more polished, but this is what I've got so far.

21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcelyn.... I don't see anything!
  22. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Woops, sorry about that. It's working now.
  23. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Thanks for the kind words Marcelyn and Stuche. Marcelyn, I don't know why but I can't watch your embed on this page but I can see it fine when I right click on the vid and select 'Watch On You Tube'. That is an interesting version by Bruce Molsky and interesting to hear you and Stuche play the A & B parts the other way round. Related versions to this tune are Rocky Mountain Goat (Fiddler's Fakebook) and Railroad Through The Rocky Mountains (Old Time Kentucky Fiddle Tunes).
  24. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Fun tune! Picked this up pretty quick (I only have been playing mandolin for a month and a half now). Just wanted to thank Mr.David Hansen for his great Youtube channel that turned me onto MandolinCafe and SAW group.
  25. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Always enjoy listening to your efforts Marcelyn and this one of Damon's Winder is no exception. The part in the title about this being a "Winder" doesn't mean much until you play it. I like how on the A part when you went up to the high B note you held it for the correct amount of time. That was driving me nuts so I fudged a little...
  26. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks so much, Tosh and Stuche. I'm still not completely sure what Winder is doing in the title, except that a few times, the B part made me want to toss my mandolin out a winder.
  27. Topher Gayle
    Topher Gayle
    I do not know the origin of the name, but I wonder if it's a pun. "Winder" = "reel" kind of thing? Who knows?
  28. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done Tosh and Marcelyn - really enjoyed both your versions!
  29. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Great versions all, I really like this tune and especially Bruce Molsky's playing of it (same site as sheet music)

30. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Thanks Jill, could've spent more time on it but work is getting in the way! Harry I really enjoyed that, the Weber sounds great......
  31. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great rendition, Harry. I heard the Molsky influence loud and clear.
  32. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen

Here is my first attempt at this SAW group recording. Please remember that I have only been playing Mandolin for little over 1 month now with little time to practice.
  33. agundrum
    agundrum
    jhuesgen: Great job!

Can I venture to guess you've played guitar for quite sometime before picking the mandolin?
  34. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Rythm yes