Week #75 ~ Catch My Hat (Trappe Mon Chapeau) ~ Cajun tune

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week got to a slow start, voting wise, but then ended up in a close race!

This week's winner, by one vote, is Catch My Hat (Trappe Mon Chapeau) ~ Cajun tune.

I hope that someone can help me here, as I can't find notation, ABC, or Tab for this tune!

I can find samples of the tune, where it's on an album, and you can buy the tune for $0.99.

This is the only full length version I've found Scroll down to Hackberry Ramblers - Catch my Hat.

Here is a video on some kind of squeezebox...

2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    This sounds just like Jenny Lynn.
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    When I play the squeezebox version and compare it to the Hackberry Ramblers version, I can see a similarity in those two (different keys), and I can see a similarity to the squeezebox version and the Jenny Lynn (which as already made a run as Song of the Week!)

As we like to say in our band, "There must be a hundred tunes!"
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    It looks like if I post a You Tube clip of this tune, it's going to be just me and the squeezebox player. I've tried both French and English titles. The group is really heading into uncharted territory this week.
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Vive le Uncharted Territory! Now if I could only sing through my nose with a slight whine... oh sorry, that's BG.
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Tried to find the notes by listening to the fiddler on the Hackberry Ramblers' version of Catch My Hat that Barbara mentioned above. Think this ABC is pretty close to what was played but can't quite figure out how to notate the very cool timing. (This is my first attempt at writing an ABC file.) The key seemed to be F sharp (it's an old recording) so probably really in either F or G. The Ramblers threw in an extra half measure at the end of the A and the B parts which is also not in this ABC file. It'll be fun to try and make this one sound Cajun...

X: 1
    T: Trappe Mon Chapeau
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    Q: 300
    R: cajun
    K: F
    |: "F" AABAccA2|dcA2c2C2|FABAccA2|dcA2 "C" G2C2|
    "F" FGABccA2|dcA2c2C2|FABAccA2|"C" c_AG2 "F" F4Ll:|
    |: "F" AGFDAAGF|AGFDFFDC|AGFF "C" GGCC|AGFD "F"\ FFDC|
    "F" AGFDAAGF|AGFDFFDC|AGFF "C" GGCC|GAG2 "F"\ F4 :|
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I've read cajun fiddlers tune each string down a note to get FCGD. that would make playing in the key of F a little easier. So I guess playing in the key of G with standard tuning would be about the same sound.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Good for you Stuche! I've tinkered some with writing ABC recently. I've also been tinkering with this tune, from the Hackberrry Ramblers (being a Rambler, myself, haha!) pretty much think I've got the A part, but the B part is a bear to figure out while trying to play along to the tune! I'll check out your transcription! The only part I'm sure about, is that I can do a pretty authentic AaaaaaEEEEEE!
  9. Blue Ghost
    Blue Ghost
    Thanks Stuche and Barbara! I think I'm gonna like this tune.
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Looks like I'm the guinea pig this week. I'm not sure how Cajun it is but here's my try. Please forgive my fledgling attempts at video variations, everyone gets bored once in awhile. If anyone is interested here's a link to a Finale file of Trappe Mon Chapeau in the key of G:

http://www.box.net/shared/fxv7si46fn

11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that's great! I love your mandonator! I think I saw lightning springing from your fingertips!
  12. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's great, David. Thanks for giving us such a fantastic example to work from.
  13. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Really cool resonator and a great arrangement. You've set the bar pretty high with this one! Thanks
  14. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Some of the material here is killing me, but you've done this tune real justice David......
  15. Eddie Sheehy
    Laissez les Bontemps rouler!
  16. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    Boy, I'd like to see some notation.
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    So, I'm working on this like I just ran into a bunch of Cajun Fiddlers, lets say the Hackberry Ramblers, and I'm going to sit in and play along with them.... in F#, it seems! Almost can play it without accompaniment... lets' see if I can make it sound Cajun!
  18. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Barbara, I tuned my mandonator down a half step and played along with the Hackberry Ramblers until I got comfortable with the feel of the tune, then I tuned it up and played it in G (much easier than F#). Here's abc for my version:

X: 1
    T: Trappe Mon Chapeau
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    Q: 165
    R: Reel
    K: G
    |: "G" BBcBd2B2|edB2d2D2|GBcBd2B2|edB2"D" A2D2|
    "G" GBcBd2B2|dedB2d2D2| GBcBd2B2|"D" eBA2 "G" G4l:|
    |: "G" BAGAB2AG|BAGEG2ED|BAG2"D" A2D2|BAGE"G"G2ED|
    "G" BAGAB2AG | BAGEG2ED | BAG2"D" A2D2||ABA2"G"G4:|

Doghearty, if you copy the abc and paste it here:

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

You will have notation.
  19. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I used Audacity which is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. I took the mp3 of the Hackberry Ramblers into this program, changed the pitch until it was in tune with my mandolin and then exported it as a new mp3. You can also change the tempo without changing the pitch too. It's ear training! In the olden days (BC: before computer) we used to slow down the record and pick up the needle and put it down on the precise spot you wanted to learn. Wore out a lot of vinyl that way.

Best thing is that Audacity is free and works on a Mac or a PC. Here's a link: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    I also use Audacity but I never knew it could change pitch (transpose keys). How cool is that? I just used it to transpose a piece from Ab to G... Thanks a bunch for the heads-up Stuche...
  21. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    That is WAY cool, David Hansen!!!!
  22. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's my effort at Trappe Mon Chapeau. Played on an old Gibson F2 and backed up with a National Vintage Steel Guitar. Key of D.

23. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I love hearing all the sounds you can get from that Gibson F-2. The contrast between the ringing A part and the more bouncy B part was perfect.
  24. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff everyone, thanks for the abc David, I will work on it.....
  25. Steve Jeter
    Steve Jeter
    Very cool tune , Both you guys sound great! I m gonna learn this one, I need to broaden my horizons
    Steve
  26. Eddie Sheehy
    Getting my melodian and washerboard out...