Week #74 ~ Evening Prayer Blues (Bluegrass)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is a bluegrass tune, Evening Prayer Blues. I'm not familiar with this tune, so if those who are, would like to add something, please do!

Here is a link to the results when searching mandozine for tabledit files

Also, it looks like if you go to You Tube & search "Evening Prayer Blues" you'll get quite a few videos.

Here's one of Mike Compton

Here's one of a Bill Monroe rendition

2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Evening Prayer Blues SN & TABs
    2 versions: first is "Advanced"
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...0&d=1285348030
    Secong id "Intermediate"
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...1&d=1285348030

They BOTH look hard to me

Good Luck
    michael
  3. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Here's a version I did a while back. I'll try and record a new one this week.

4. Earl Gamage
    Earl Gamage
    Wow on that Monroe version. Every now and then I have wondered if Big Mon was a great mandolin player or a great showman and listening to that makes it seem like a really silly question. Awesome and inspiring playing.

I wonder if this is the toughest tune in the Song of the Week lineup. Kudos to any of ya'll that can play it.
  5. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Evening Prayer Blues was originally a harmonica tune by DeFord Bailey, the first black star of the Grand Old Opry. Monroe traveled with DeFord Bailey in the early tent show tours put on by the Opry, and looked out for him--making sure he had a place to stay and food to eat in the segregated South. According to Compton (whose first version in the video above references more of DeFord's harmonica version), the tune mimics a brush arbor gospel meeting with the call and response of the preacher and congregation. Monroe took DeFord's version, straightened it out, and sped it up to make it a bluegrass tune. After Compton plays the DeFord version in the video above (the low very crooked version), Compton goes into the Monroe version. Monroe first recorded this on the "Master of Bluegrass" album--an amazing instrumental album.

Compton's version is a master class in slides, downstrokes, and tremolo.

Nice job, Shaun.
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great work, Shaun. You've got that one down.
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff, Shaun - love the cameo from your dog as well!
  8. billkilpatrick
    great shaun - i thought i had it but after seeing/hearing yours, i don't think so. i thought the tune was more like a riff than a proper song - like "squirrel hunters" - back to the drawing board (fingerboard!) love that monroe version - particularly when the fiddle comes in.
  9. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Nice, Shaun! I was hoping you were going to put up your version of this!

Earl, my vote for the toughest songs that this group has had as the song-of-the-week would be Roanoke and EMD; both only had a couple of postings and I think scared off a lot of regular contributors.
  10. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    It's a banner day--2 videos in one day.

11. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Mighty fine, mighty fine!!! Don you sure know how to pull THE tone out of that Gil. You just gave me some new ideas for this tune too!
  12. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, Shaun. My Gilchrist turns 11 the end of this month--got it new Sept 1999.
  13. JimRichter
    JimRichter
    I've had the blues so long, they've done turned into the blacks. A video from a couple years ago:

14. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Really nice guys! I don't even think I'm going to attempt this one though. I'm still working on Rodney's Glory.
  15. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    BTW Jim, that's an interesting juxtiposition of the totally rad electric instrument against that backdrop of bib overalls!
  16. billkilpatrick
    woke up this morning with "evening prayer blues" cavorting through my consciousness ... can my fingers be far behind?
  17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's Evening Prayer Blues from Sunny Southern California with a hot Gibson F2. (It was 114 degrees outside when this was recorded.) Lots of down strokes with the pick on this one...

18. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I love the expression all of you can get from each note. It's like the mandolins are talking.
  19. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Way cool Stuche!
  20. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Really enjoying everybody's version on this, also! Hope to put up a version soon since I voted for this one.
  21. billkilpatrick
    complimenti stuche!
  22. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Enjoyed that a lot, Stuche. Well-played indeed.
  23. jamann
    jamann
    I've really enjoyed the versions submitted so far.
    Shaun, I've always liked your version. Great pickin' there!
    Don, I love your version. Great stuff! Always impressed and inspired.
    Jim, What can I say. Different, but I like your take on it.
    Stuche, I'm very impressed with your version. You really made every note count. Very cool!

Ok, here's my attempt at Evening Prayer Blues. I was hoping this would've won a couple weeks ago when I was home and had more time. I'm out of town working and finally got some time to sit down in my hotel room and get this recorded. I really love this tune and prefer Mike Compton's version which I am not playing but I'm working on and may submit in the future. Anyway I hope you enjoy my version of Evening Prayer Blues.

jamann

24. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Everyone: Thank you for your kind words. For me Monroe tunes are always a challenge to try learn to play and this one is no exception. Every time I listen to Bill's playing, by gosh there's seems to be something else in it I hadn't noticed before. Each of your videos help with some really good ideas too.

Jamann: You've got a solid version going there. Nice tone and well done!

JimRichter: Just a great guitar tone... please, what is that cool guitar?
  25. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    This is definitely one of the most fun weeks to follow. It's like a free concert every time I turn on the computer. Awesome job Jamman.
  26. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Every version so far has been really excellent. It beats me how you can learn such a difficult piece so quickly.
    The mention of De ford Bailey prompted me to dig out the old vinyl lp and listen to his treatment. He is a great harmonica player but this track is completely unmemorable. The fact that he generally recorded well known tunes of the day leads me to suspect that perhaps there was an original -possibly vocal- version. Does anyone know who composed or first recorded this piece?
  27. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    jamann, you got this one down. Good clean picking. maudlin, doesn't your record jacket give the credits for the tune? If you can get the vinyl to mp3, it'd be great to post it here so we could listen to DeFord's version to see how Bill changed it.
  28. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Yeah, great versions and playing by everyone.
    Still sitting in a travel trailer in sunny southern France and can't wait to get home to record my version from the Todd Collins book (which I believe will be similar to yours, John).
  29. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Here is my stab at the version transcribed by Todd Collins

30. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Good job Manfred. The tone on your mandolin is especially nice. By the way, what is that cool looking mic we can see on the video?
  31. jamann
    jamann
    Manfred, Great job and solid picking there. I like the version your playing. I enjoyed it. Thanks!
  32. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks, Stuche and John.
    Stuche, the "mic" is a Zoom H2 Recorder, which I have hooked up to the computer via USB. It shows in my webcam recording software as a normal mic and works great this way.
  33. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Way to go, Manfred! Fine job.

I'm using the H2 as a USB mic too. A little less crispy than the built in mics on the laptop plus my laptop fan gets really noisy once the webcam starts recording in iMovie, so it helps to get the mic away from the computer.
  34. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    This doesn't sound much like Bill Monroe or De Ford Bailey but here it is for what its worth. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...2&d=1286888764 If I can work out how I will try to post the Bailey recording.
  35. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, Maudlin, that was a really expressive and impressive rendition. Someday, I'm going to tackle this one too.
  36. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very interesting version of Evening Prayer Blues...and if you don't mind, I think I'm going to borrow a few licks...
  37. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Duncan (or Maudlin if you prefer!) that was outrageous, I'll see you on Sunday.......
  38. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    I found notation written out for this at:

http://mandozine.com/music/TOW-abc/TOW-Monroe-32-09.abc

This is what happens when left-brained white folks try to transcribe the black man's intuitive right-brained blues.

The midi file is really funny.

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/tmp/Tune34259.midi

39. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    HI all,
    Finally got around to making a video of this great tune. Some things I would change about it and some of the licks could be cleaner (and better!) but not a bad effort, I guess. Played on my Collings MT.

40. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Hey Rob, you played some nice variations on this tune. Good slides in the B part, too. Your playing is enthusiastic and spirited even if your writing about your playing isn't. Good job.
  41. jamann
    jamann
    Rob, Your way too hard on yourself. That was excellent and I enjoyed every bit of that. You put some serious effort into and it shows.
    Thanks for that, I really liked it!
  42. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Don and Jamann,
    Thanks for the kind comments! Overall I was happy with my effort but I always play better without a video camera staring at me!

This tune is really fun and I'm glad the SAW group picked it as it got me off my arse to finallly learn it!

Now time to learn some more hornpipes, reels, jigs and some planxtys!
  43. jamann
    jamann
    Please learn another bluegrass tune too! Don't leave me all alone with all these hornpipers, reelers, jigers, and definitely all those planxtysers.
  44. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    It's contageous, John. You've already caught the bug. Just give it a little longer to incubate. You'll be playing Evening Prayer Blues and burst spontaneously into Boys of Blue Hill.
  45. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Jamann,
    Don't worry, man! Bluegrass is my roots for the mandolin and I've still got a lot more bluegrass tunes to record here! Too many to name that I haven't recorded yet that are on here... Bluegrass forever!
  46. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great job, Rob.
    Yours is not a humble prayer. It sounds pretty demanding: as if you were praying to the Bluegrass Gods to send you a new 25k mandolin.
    But there is no need for that. This Collings sounds just wonderful.
  47. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Thanks for the very kind comment, Manfred!
  48. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    In honor of The Big Mon's birthday!

49. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great work, Ed. That's such a fun song.
  50. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Nice job, Ed. It sounds great with the downstrokes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast