Week #73 ~ Rodney's Glory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's tune is Rodney's Glory ~ an Irish set-dance.

Here is the ABC from www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Rodney's Glory
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: hornpipe
    K: Ador
    ed | c2 Bc ABcA | BGEF G2 cd | e=fed cde^f | gfge d=fed |
    c2 Bc ABcA | BGEF G2 ed | c2 BA GABG | A2 AG A2 :|
    |: cd | eaab aged | e=fed c2 A2 | g2 fg agec | dcAF G2 E2 |
    AGAB cBcd | edeg a2 ab | aged cdef | gfge d=fed |
    c2 Bc ABcA | BGEF G2 ed | c2 BA GABG | A2 AG A2 :|

I believe that when you play this, you should actually play it more 'dotted' or more 'swingy'.

You can find more ABC, and discussion, here in the fiddler's companion.

Here's some info on set-dances from Wikipedia

I recently read in a fiddle book, that set dances usually have a different number of measures in the A & B parts. Rodney's Glory has 8 measures in the A, and 12 measures in the B.
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    link to .tef file for SN and TABs

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...3&d=1284743837
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'd already been working on this one. It's been a while since I dabbled with my Garage Band, and my iMovie, that I decided to go all out on this one!

I'm playing my Collings MT2O mandolin (melody), my Petersen tenor guitar (melody & rhythm) & my Slingerland May Bell tenor banjo (melody). My rhythm playing leaves a lot to be desired! But, you only get better by practicing, right?

4. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Rockin' Barbara! Nicely done.
  5. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Barbara that sounds great! You've got a great balance in the arrangement and great to see all the instruments in action too.

I also did some early work on this one:

6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff! Barbara your a proper one person trad group! I'll have to get cracking learning this one off - there's a great version of it on the Three Mile Stone CD, so I reckon I'll use that as me template.
  7. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic playing Barbara and Harry, I have trouble changing strings, let alone instruments Barabara! You've been to a Don Grieser magic workshop haven't you!!!! Harry, nice to see the Weber dusted off and well played.....
  8. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    Sounds like one of those Norman Blake endings (part B).
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jill, It was the Three Mile Stone CD that got me onto this tune! I love that CD, don't you!
  10. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Barbara, that's a great version of the tune. I love how the banjo comes in and the layers of instruments playing the melody. Fantastic! Your rhythm playing sounds fine to me. The only suggestion I'd make is to play less from your elbow (you still need some movement there) and more from your wrist when you play rhythm--that might make it easier for you.

harry, I really liked your version too. Such wonderful tone.

I'm a big fan of minor key tunes so this one is on the list.
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ah, I thought you might've come across this tune on that CD, Barbara! It is a great CD - "Gipsy Princess" and also the slip jig "Wheels of the World" are two tunes from that CD that are also on my "to learn" list. As it stands right now I have a list of 7 tunes that I want to learn this weekend - bit over ambitious I reckon!
  12. Grommet
    Grommet
    What a great tune! Well played by both of you.

Scott
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Masterful playing Barbara, I wish I could figure how to do the multiple video takes with different instruments.

Harry, nice playing and great sound from your Weber.

Here's my try in the right key this time on my Weber Bitterroot mandola.

14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that was great, and what a beautiful looking and sounding mandola!!!
  15. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    sounds lovely on the mandola, David!
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Inspired by David Hansen's submission on his mandola, I got mine out, dusted it off, tuned it up, and tried to remember how to play it! Videoed it playing along with the mp3 that I made early for this thread... This mandola was built by Bill Petersen, of Council Bluffs, Iowa.

17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Barbara! Sounds so effortless and relaxed!
  18. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Love this tune! Great job everyone.
  19. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Here's my version. I learned this from a friend I played music with a loong time ago (a killer guitar and mando player). It's slightly different from the version posted, but still the same tune (we'll call it the folk process...)

I'm finding my videos are getting stretched out on YouTube, although they look fine played directly with MP. Any ideas why?
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    lovely playing there Dana! I've been trying to post my version here but the youtube embed code doesn't seem to be working?
  21. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Test post of Jill's take:

It seems to work for me...
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jill, see if this works...

23. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks for the help all - you are absolute stars!
  24. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Dana and Jill, those are 2 fine renditions. Love those triplets. Jill, lovely tone from your Weber. Dana, that's a cool variation of the tune.
  25. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks Don!
  26. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Dana I love the combination of the mandolin and your octave, sounds great.

Jill, I love the feel of your version and as always your rhythm and your triplets are impressively precise.
  27. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thank you kind sir!
  28. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Just like to squeeze in my version of Rodney's Glory. It's played on my 1911 Gibson F2 mandolin and backed up with my George Bauer Parlor guitar built circa 1900. Many thanks to all the great versions above...

29. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Your F2 sounds lovely, Stuche - great stuff!
  30. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks Jill, I came across this mandolin in the late 70's and it was just dumb luck. Couldn't afford one in today's market...
  31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Stuche, that was a beautiful arrangement!
  32. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks Barbara, as were yours! Especially the one with the banjo, mandolin and tenor guitar. Nice interplay between the instruments.
  33. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Very nice, Stuche.

Here's a take on mandola. Towards the end, of my dogs gives out a huge bark in the next room and throws me off a bit, so I had to leave that in there. It was going so well before that, too. Even tried some triplets.

played on a Gilchrist H-1 mandola
  34. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Don, Some nice playing there, and the mandola sounds really nice too. Great range. And the dogs were quite good too; I started looking around the neighborhood for who was barking...
  35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Don, that tune sounds great on the mandola! Thanks for posting it!
  36. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely playing there Don, and as always, I'm drooling over that Gilchrist mandola!!
  37. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Great playing Stuche. I liked it with some guitar backup.

Don.....I always enjoy your non-mandolin videos and this is no exception. That is some solid mandola pickin'!
  38. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks. It's a bunch of fun to learn from everyone's versions.

Shaun, I've been playing the mandola a lot. This long scale/beefy neck makes me work, but I've decided I'm not going to give up on it.
  39. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I've especially enjoyed the contributions this week. They're all so amazing and all so completely different from each other. Here's mine finally.

40. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Now that's old time mandolin playing... always greatly enjoy your videos Marcelyn. Well done!
  41. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks, Stuche. That's a high compliment coming from you. The funny thing is, I started out very Celtic this week--triplets and everything. Somehow, the tune migrated to OT, and I didn't fully realize that until I gave the recording a listen.
  42. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Groovy Marcelyn! I finally got the tune lernt Mon. evening. Now I've gotta practice it a hunnert times and maybe I'll be ready to post something.
  43. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Yay, looking forward to that, Martin.
  44. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Nice picking all! One of many I need to learn!

Marcelyn is that a new mandolin you've got there? Old Wave maybe?
  45. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice version there, Marcelyn!
  46. Eddie Sheehy
    Everytime I try playing it I break into the Star of Munster...
  47. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Rob and Jill. You are correct about the mandolin too Rob. It's a 2002 Old Wave that I just got a few weeks ago. Now I'm stuck with Barbaras predicament of picking which out of two really fun mandolins to play on any given day. It's a real dilemma.
  48. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ah, congrats on the Old Wave!
  49. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Marcelyn, congrats on the Old Wave. It was born just a few hours from me. My octave is an Old Wave and it rocks. Nice playing too--I think it's great that the old timey feel just comes out in your playing.
  50. jamann
    jamann
    I've really enjoyed all the different versions submitted so far. Great job everyone!
    Barbara, I'm really impressed with your original post. I love the addition of the tenor banjo. Very nice!
    Marcelyn, You definitely have that old time feeling in your playing and I really love your version. Again I am partial to your old timey version. Really enjoyable and love the sound your getting out of that Old Wave. Having to pick which mandolin to play is a nice dilemma to be in.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast