Lilliebulero

1. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    This tune was composed several centuries ago, then popularised by Henry Purcell when he included it in one of his orchestral suites, referring to it only as " an Irish air". Some say it became the most popular tune in the country for a considerable period - a sort of baroque top of the pops. In more recent times the BBC adopted it as the theme for one of their radio stations.
    Here is the link to the mp3 - played on a Gremlin.http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...2&d=1283951329
  2. Susanne
    Susanne
    Very nice and sweet tune!! What instrument are you playing?
  3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Thank you Michael for posting the Sn and tab and Susi for the comment. The instrument is a Gremlin-cheap cheerful and Chinese!
  5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    No thanks neccessary, MM. I try to post the .tef files for all the tunes that the group puts up, that is IF i can find them. some can be quite obscure. The ABCs for tis tune came from The Fiddlers Companion File List.
    Nice tune and playing!!
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just recorded this tune, too -- there are quite a few different variants of the tune and the spelling. Mine is played exactly as it was published in the 8th Edition of Playford's Dancing Master in 1690 (from the 1985 Jeremy Barlow edition available from Faber Music), where the spelling is "Lilli Burlero". Possibly now better known as the tune to the nursery rhyme "There Was An Old Woman Rolled In A Blanket", but it was used for lots of other songs, too. There's also a rumour that it was written by Henry Purcell although Wikipedia suggests Purcell may simply have republished an older tune, as in fact did Playford.

The Barlow edition of Playford is copyrighted, but I found an ABC that also claims to be verbatim from the original 1690 Playford, so it should be identical to what I play (haven't checked note-for-note, though).

X:311
    T:Lilli Burlero. (p)1690.PLFD.311
    M:6/4
    L:1/4
    Q:3/4=120
    S:Playford, Dancing Master,8th Ed,1690.
    O:England
    H:1690.
    Z:Chris Partington
    K:G
    G>AG B2 B| A>BA c3| BdG c2 B| AGF G3:|
    |:g2 f g2 d| =f2 f e2 d| efg g2 d|edB A3|
    (ed)c (Bc)d| (ed)c (Bc)d | edB c2B|AGF G3:|

I have recorded my version on a 1921 Gibson Ajr.

Martin
  7. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    The older lyrics were written as a Protestant taunt to Irish Catholics, which may be why the BBC has discontinued it's use.

It is also used as the tune for "Knottinham Ale," which is a much more congenial song.

8. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    An interesting variation on the tune -and nicely played.
    Incidentally, how can something first published in 1690 be in copyright? Does it not apply only to the 1985 layout, not the music itself?
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    The copyright is for the 1985 edition, which includes various errata and performance suggestions compared to the 1690 edition, and of course presents it in a form that a modern player can readily read and play. I don't want to post a scan from that book, as it's readily available and quite cheap (around 10 Pounds for almost 600 tunes). As I said, the ABC I posted should be identical to the notes, if not the layout, of the Barlow edition, and of course it's not copyrighted in that form, the music being from 1690.

Doghearty: While it's correct that the lyrics to the song Lilli Burlero were a taunt to Irish Catholics, I suspect that the decline in the use of the tune (which predates those lyrics anyway) is more to do with its use for yet another anti-catholic song, namely "The Protestant Boys", widely played during Orange Order marches in Northern Ireland. It is that set of words that makes it potentially inflammatory, not the now obscure original 17th century words. The tune, of course, has nothing to do with either set of words.

Martin