Week #70 ~ La Bastringue (Quebec)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's tune is La Bastringue (Quebec). I'm not familiar with this tune, so if the person who suggested it has anything to add, please do!

Here's what I found for the ABC on www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: La Bastringue
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Dmaj
    |:f2 ff f2gf|e2c2 d3 d|c2d2 efec|d2e2 f2 d2|
    f2 ff f2 gf|e2c2 d3d|g2 (3fgf e2d2|1B2c2 d2A2:|2B2c2 d2 (3ABc||
    |: (3ddd fd adfd|(3=ccc ec gcec|(3ddd fd adfd|bgec dcBA|(3ddd fd adfd|
    (3=ccc ec gcec|1(3ddd fd adfa|bgec dcBA:|2Adfa bgec|dfec d4||
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    La Bastringue is a popular tune and dance from Quebec. You can find a description here:

http://www.sfdh.org/ea.php?a=bastringue87

The tune is also quite popular at Contra dances.

Here's another abc:

X:629
    T:Bastringue, La
    S:Forgotten
    Z:Nigel Gatherer
    O:Quebec
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:D
    A2 | f3 f f2 gf | e2 c2 d4 | c2 d2 efec | d2 e2 f2 d2 |
    f3 f f2 gf | e2 c2 d4 | g2 f2 e2 d2 | B2 c2 d2 :|
    A2 | d2 fd adfd | =c2 ec gcec | d2 fd adfa | bgec dcBA |
    d2 fd adfd | =c2 ec gcec | d2 fd adfa | bgec d2 :|]
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Nice tune- anyone know what the title signifies?http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...1&d=1283007517 Here is the link to my mp3. Played on a Savannah.
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I know nothing of French, but according to freetrranslation.com, it seems to mean The Racket. A little ambiguous... Maybe someone who speaks the language will be more help.
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    Also means Dance Hall Band and Honky-Tonk. It has words. It teaches (and pokes fun at) a young man how to ask a lady to dance... In Ireland it would simply say " Get off your arse and come for a scatter round the floor"... The French are so very polite...
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Short and sweet on the Sobell.

8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well done David, I was hoping you would do a version of this. You sound like you're an old hand at this one.
  9. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    David, thanks a lot for the nice-sounding demonstration.
    I have a version with the B part an octave lower, which is also fun to play. Hope to post soon.
  10. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great version David, I'm struggling with consistency on the second part but I'll keep at it.....
  11. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    My Eastman 815, the metronome, and I:

12. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic Manfred, really love the low part!!!
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really great, Manfred and David. your versions are both so clean and tidy. The B part still ends up in a train wreck for me. Maybe I'll try the low version.

On a side note, did embeding your video give you any troubles tonight, Manfred? I did it the way I've always done, and no video posted. I ended up inserting a link instead, but I don't like this as a permanant solution.
  14. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    David, you are the master of those clear ringing drone strings

Manfred, nice clean version as well and that low B part has really got some oomph!

Really enjoyed both of those versions
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Splendid jab Manfred, and gave me some ideas too. Here we go then, "La Bastringue", or as we call it in Georgia "The B String"

16. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nice David, you always manage to provide a fresh approach to our weekly ditties. I liked this one a lot.
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    Here we go, Allons mes Amis...

18. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thank you all for your kind words, Marcelyn, Tosh, Harry, and OS.

No, Marcelyn, I didn't have any problems uploading my file. However, there are some peak times when YouTube is really slow in my area. It may also depend on the continent (and the respective servers) you are on.

OS, it's an honor to have given you 'some ideas'. Your relaxed playing of this tune is, as always, really fun to listen to.

Eddie, I like your version, too. What is the background noise? Are you busking in Quebec, or something?
  19. Eddie Sheehy
    The Kreepy Krawly plus nearby Freeway noise... I actually tune them out, I thought it was pretty quiet...
  20. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I have to apologize for my effort as it's a bit on the slow side, but I found this a bit awkward to play, hence I dropped it down to the mandola side. It's a great tune though and one I'll keep working at......

21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Nice renditions, all! I've got a question for those familiar with this tune. At what tempo would this be played for dancers? Since the B part is so different from the A part, it's hard for me to come up with something consistent... it also feel awkward when repeating, and going back to the A part.
  22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I can tap my toes with OS's version, so I guess you could dance to that - I fancy something contradance-like, colorfully dressed on the main square, merrily round and round the guillotine...
  23. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Barbara, this one is normally played pretty fast, 122-128 for contra dances. For folk dancing I would guess something similar. See video

24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    David, I like that video, and wasn't it considerate of them to translate for those in the crowd with southern accents?

Barbara, the B part is giving me trouble too. I finally feel like I can get into it smoothly, but when I repeat the song I feel like I've switched rhythms or something.

I thought your slower version wasn't all that slow Tosh. The B part was smoother than anything going on here and it's helping me see how to connect the two better.
  25. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Ok here is a bit of an experiment with both Mandolin on lead and a DADGAD-ish (Modal) backup

26. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    You didn't state your hypothesis, but I'd say you probably proved it whatever it was. Nice job.
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that video helped alot. It seems to me, that in that video, they add ornamentation (triplets) to the A part, so it sounds rhythmically more like the B part. That version smoothly went from A to B to A to B, etc! Also, the B part, the fiddles are doing the 'ornamentation-type' parts so blazing fast, I doubt I'll ever be able to do those on a mandolin... some parts are just fiddle-y parts!

Marcelyn... haha, southern accents! The other day, I was driving from Colorado to Iowa, and had stopped in western Iowa for a burger at a small burger stand. A family came in, and we were exchanging pleasantries, and the man asked where I was from. Since I live most of the time in Iowa, and was in Iowa, I said, "central Iowa" (with my southern drawl, I guess) and he said, "funny, I'd have guessed a bit further south"... so I smiled and said "OK, you got me, I'm from Texas" (Iyam frum Tayucksez)
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, I played along with the dancing video. If I had decided to learn this from this video, and had not seen the music, I would play it completely different (and probably will try to video it that way). If this is supposed to be a fast dance tune, I'd have to 'dummy it down' in order to play the mandolin along with the band.
  29. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's another video that might help you get the feel for this tune.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AMuq46gEwU

Being from Tennessee, I inherited a slight drawl too, but it only seems to show itself when I'm really riled, lol. With any luck, I'll post an attempt tonight too.
  30. Eddie Sheehy
    In Ireland the Southerners have a different accent to Northerners (regardless of politics). The island is only 320 miles long... On the East coast (half-way) the Dublin accent is also noticably different, whereas on the West coast (half-way) the Galway accent isn't that different to other Southern accents - the exception being Cork which is also "out on its own"... All this in a country 320 miles by 150 mile wide (and 100 miles thick as Niall Toibin says...)
  31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Surprise! I made a video! Remember me? Haha!

I couldn't get the feel of how this was supposed to be danced to, until David posted the video of the dancers, and the one Marcelyn linked to, helped, as well!

So, here's my somewhat sloppy (yes, that faint sound you hear is SUPPOSED to be a high b!) version. My aim was not so much hitting the notes, but in keeping a strong dance beat!

Oh, isn't it funny how you happen to buy a new instrument when you never planned to?

I'm lucky that I live only a couple of hours from Bill Petersen, the maker of my cittern, OM, mandola & tenor guitar; in fact, when I go to Colorado, I have to pass right through Council Bluffs, where he lives.

So, I was having him tweak my new tenor guitar, and he told me he had started making mandolins.... and next thing you know, I have a new Petersen mandolin! Still breaking it in, and will likely put a little heavier strings on it when I change them...

32. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Yay, Barbara! Welcome back! That Peterson Mando sounds really nice and somewhat like your Collings (with some nice "punchiness" to it).
  33. Toycona
    Toycona
    Barbara, I played that mandolin in his shop a few weeks ago. You're lucky to have it. I'd have bought the mandola he had just finished. He's a real pro!!! And the jam was a lot of fun.
  34. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks, ya'll! I really like Bill Petersen; I love all the instruments that I've gotten from him, and he's great to work with! Now..... do I need a bouzouki?
  35. Eddie Sheehy
    Just ONE bouzouki?
  36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, I like to limit myself to just ONE of the instruments that I don't know how to play
  37. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Sounds good to me Barbara and congratulations on the new Peterson. As it happens I have just changed the strings (I prefer D'addario FT74's and the C is a FT76) on the 10 string and I'm much happier with it.
  38. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Barb, you're buying mandolins like others buy shoes
    And entitled to them you are, seeing as how easy you make this tune sound.
  39. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Shoes...... let's not go there!!!!!
  40. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    The lyrics to La Bastringue are a conversation between a woman who asks a man (Andre) to dance. He suggests the La Bastringue and she gets much more than she expected. Very French but love triumphs in the end. Here's the link to the lyrics in French with an English translation.
    http://lyricstranslate.com/en/la-bas...astringue.html

Mary Rose-Anna Travers, (June 4, 1894 – February 20, 1941) was a French-Canadian singer and musician. She was known as Madame Bolduc or La Bolduc. Here's a recordng of La Bastringue from the 1930's. Doesn't seem to use (or need) the B part of the song for this recording.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwDGu2SEUPY
  41. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    La Bastringne is a great tune! Here's my version played on a Kentucky KM600 mandolin I purchased used in Morro Bay, California. Still having unexpected results when posting a video. Will try again later.

Until then, here's a link to my version of La Bastringne on YouTube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-IoMbK9MS0
  42. Gerard Dick
    Gerard Dick
    Very nice. Well done.
  43. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Trying to get Stuche's video to embed....

44. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks to everyone who posted a great version above. I've played along with all of these while learning. This one isn't perfect, but that B part is brutal.

45. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Marcelyn, I agree! The B part is just hard. On a mandolin it's always a challenge to try to play something that sounds like the fancy bowing of a fiddler. . . especially since all we have is a little, tiny flat pick and sore fingers. You pull it off nicely!
  46. Susanne
    Susanne
    Very nice recordings, folks! Marcelyn, as usual I love yours because it sounds so oldtimey! Your (and Barbara's) B-parts sounds so much easier than the dots that I found (I think it was from the abc posted here), I'll try that one instead.
  47. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Stuche and Susi, and yes, I cheated big time. When I manage to get the real melody out, I love the way those arpegeos sound, but it doesn't happen often. I'm going to keep working at it. In my dreams I'd like to play this three times through followed by perfect renditions of St. Anne's Reel. It sounds great in my head. Good luck with yours Susi. I'm looking forward to it.
  48. Susanne
    Susanne
    Here's my kind of home-made simplified version. A few oopsies here and there.

49. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Love it, Susi! And since I've already admitted to cheating, I'm going to go ahead and shamelessly steal your idea for the B part.