Week #58 ~ Fisher's Hornpipe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Well, it seems that Eddie is on top of things, he has pointed out to us that Fisher's Hornpipe was already Tune of the Week a year ago, back in Week #2. Sorry that I didn't catch that before I put it in the poll!

But, it was the overwhelming winner this week, so I'll go ahead and let it have a new run at it... we are a much larger group than we were 56 weeks ago!

Here is the link to the videos in the original thread.

There had been discussion early on, about having people repost videos, after a time had passed, to show how they had improved, or changed. Here's your chance!

Here's the ABC from www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Fisher's
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: hornpipe
    K: Gmaj
    (3def|:gdBd cedc|BGBd cedc|BGBd Bedc|
    BdcB AB (3def|gdBd cedc|BGBd cedc|
    defg agfa|1 g2 b2 g2 (3def:|2 g2 b2 g2 fg||
    |:afdg afdg |bgdg bgdg|afdf ad'_d'b|
    agfe dg=fg|ecGc egfe |dBGB dgfe|
    defg fgaf|1 g2 b2 g2 fg:|2 g2 b2 g2||

Here is a Jay Buckey site with free tablature
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  3. Susanne
    Susanne
    No harm done, it's a nice tune and I never learned it back then.... not that I have a chance this week either since I'm in Scotland Monday to Wednesday, then going to a big traditional music event. Oh well, maybe later.
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well, I thought I'd have another go. I think my production values have improved, not sure if my playing has. It's faster, but is it better? You be the judge!

This year:

Last year:
  5. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    I would never try to judge. But it sure does sound great. Nice stuff OS. Great timing.
  6. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great as always OS, what I would say is it is a great comparison, one with backing, one without and both nicely executed. Excellent to watch....
  7. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    This was quite a challenge for me and I'm not very comfortable with it. The version I did comes from the Miles Krassen version of O'Neills, full of tweaks and ornamentation, but it was fun to have a bash at it.

8. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great job, Tosh. Very nicely ornamented indeed.

OS, I like both versions. Just miss your left hand on last year's take.
  9. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Well, I tried to make a video while camping here in Durango, but it cut off in the middle. Made two more attempts, this last one also cuts off, but at least it's at the last note. The background noise is Lightner Creek, appropriate for Fisher's HP!

Cheers
    Mark R-T
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Not much difference from last year to this year except it took me less time to learn it this year. My mind is a sieve.

This Year:

Last year:

11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    No David, your mind isn't a sieve, you're playing a sieve. Excellent job of it though. And some very nice ideas there from Mark, enjoyed that a lot. A very creditable performance from Tosh, and an interesting version too.
  12. walt33
    walt33
    OS, I'd say you've got a bit more speed and clarity than last year. Both are very well played. Maybe it was the glasses? Tosh, yours was nice too. Glad to see someone else here who plays at about my speed! Guess I have to get at it, now, since I wasn't a member last year.

Walt
  13. Susanne
    Susanne
    Nice work, lads! David, what is that obscure instrument you were playing in last year's video???
  14. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Absolutely fantastic Mark and David and thanks for the kind comments re my dodgy playing. Mark, I could have recorded by the Thames but they would have probably thrown me in.....
  15. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Susi, in last year's video I'm playing a Mann EM 4 electric mandolin. This year's model is the mandonator.
  16. Susanne
    Susanne
    Does it only have 4 strings?
    My friend has a resonator mandolin. It's super cool, very peculiar sound.
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    Last Year's...

18. Eddie Sheehy
    This year's backing...

19. Eddie Sheehy
    This Year's final...

20. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    I like it Eddy.
  21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, that's excellent Eddie, and improvements in production and performance - great job,
  22. Eddie Sheehy
    Thanks guys, but I still haven't gotten it to anything near the other posts... and it's not even a difficult tune...
  23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well I think it's a difficult tune. It's a fingerbuster.
  24. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Eddie that's great and I agree with OS that it IS a difficult tune, took me about 30 attempts to get mine down. That Cello growls!....temptation!
  25. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    It's a finger buster if you play at bluegrass warp speed!! Holy cow OS, that was fast!
  26. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    OS, outstanding performance, as always. However, IMHO, both versions are a bit fast for a hornpipe. I'm sure it's fine for BG though. You second version, esp., feels like some of the dots are having trouble keeping up with their brother dots. Of course, this is all a matter of personal preference, not really a critique.

Tosh, stop trying to listen to the World Cup and play the mandolin at the same time! ;o) Seriously, that was clean and steady. Well done.

Mark, impressive! Love the background sound effects!

Oops, sorry to leave anyone out, I'm going to be late for evening church! See ya!
  27. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice versions here. Particularly interesting are the 'historical' ones!

Martin, on your special request I have slowed down my version by about 70 clicks to make it more hornpipey.

28. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Great job everybody! And it is a difficult tune. That's why I don't play it! LOL
  29. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    That was great Manfred, love that version. Martin, many thanks, I will watch the World Cup and I am really worried about the first game, especially now Ferdinand is crocked, Dempsey and Donovan may enjoy themselves too much!!!!
  30. Chuck Naill
    Hopefully I am on the correct week now,

Here is my attempt, http://www.box.net/shared/scvt9vsfgl
  31. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Excellent Chuck. I love your shuffle bowing on the fiddle. Those instruments blend so well together.
  32. Susanne
    Susanne
    Hi folks!

I don't even dare to listen to you folks before posting! This is the typical tune that "everyone" knows. Here's my first attempt to record it. Excuse me that I look like something the cat dragged in, I've been on airports/plane or airport shuttle buses all day, have a bad stomach, didn't sleep for 2 nights or so (for some reason) but as soon as I came home I just HAD TO play some mandolin. I just came home from a short trip in Scotland and last night we visited a music session where I got so much inspiration I want to spend the next few months playing music every awake moment...

Anyway, here's my Fisher's hornpipe. My laptop needs some repair so it's in the Apple store so this is done in my tiny little office with the iMac. Terrible acoustics.

33. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Susi, you are much too hard on yourself, that was fine and sounded OK to me.....
  34. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, I know what you mean, about comparing our versions to those performed by many of our members! But, I think your version sounds just perfect! You DO look like you have your back against the wall.... must be a TINY office! Hope you get some rest soon!
  35. Susanne
    Susanne
    Tiny is the word, Barbara.......

Thanks for your comments. I've had a nice little session tonight. We practiced some Irish tunes for a little mini-gig next week, and after that I continued on my own, since I found a tune book I haven't used for ages, and found some very neat jigs and hornpipes in there that I could play on the OM. Very nice indeed!
  36. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Luxury....it's bigger than my flat!!!!!
  37. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I think the small size of the 'office' made the mandolin sound clean and crisp without that echo i often get in my videos. I also like that you can actually see some of the flat part of your desk, i haven't seen mine in years

m
  38. Eddie Sheehy
    You haven't seen your feet in years Mike...
  39. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  40. Susanne
    Susanne
    MCulliton, the simple reason for that is that I've just lived here for a few weeks - no time yet to make a mess!!! About the sound of the mandolin - it can be true! I'm bound to this office now for a while so I may learn to like the recordings made in here.
  41. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    These are all impressive! I've played this song for a while, but never knew it was so hard to do without mistakes all the way through. Recording is so enlightening.

42. Susanne
    Susanne
    It is indeed, but I think you play it wonderfully. Very nice tone and lovely playing. Is that a Gibson?
  43. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Good eye Susi. On our anual trip to visit the in-laws, I drug my family through Nashville to play a plethera of oval holes. I had an inkling that that sound would fit my tastes better, but I'd never gotten the chance to try any. Nashville, of course, has everything. It was such a fun day. This 1914 A-3 really caught my attention, and I hadn't even gone into the hunt wanting a vintage. I was nervous taking in such an old instrument, but it has no cracks and feels incredibly sturdy.
  44. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice Marcelyn, and congratulations!
  45. Susanne
    Susanne
    I've tried two Gibsons in my life, one was a new F-5 mastertone or mastermodel or whatever it was called, and I didn't like it at all (compared to my Flatbush at least) and the other was some kind of oval hole thing that was in very bad shape so it would have been interesting to play it with new strings and after it had some love and care... so my experience of Gibson has been quite negative, but yours sounds great.
  46. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Actually, my experience has been very hit and miss. I tried one a long time ago and didn't like it at all. On the trip, I tried two. One was fine, but not anything I'd really think twice about. This one though was a big surprise. Who knew?
  47. Susanne
    Susanne
    How nice with such surprises!!!!!
  48. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcelyn, very nice! Congrats on your new mando! Videoing doesn't seem very stressful for your DOG!!
  49. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Well played Marcelyn and the Gibson sounds great.....
  50. monkeytroy
    monkeytroy
    All great jobs. OS.. you rock.

I have not had as much time to put into Fisher's Hornpipe yet. Just picked it up a few days ago.. but I wanted to put something up as I don't want to get too far behind. And I really wanted to pick up this song.

Here you go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast