Week #51 ~ Down in the Willow Garden

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Down in the Willow Garden, aka Rose Conley. It was submitted as a bluegrass tune, but it seems more like an old time ballad to me!

I'm not familiar with this tune, but if you do a youtube search, you can find this tune in just about every key.... probably because its a song with words, and I guess the singer picks their favorite key!

Mike said he made the TAB before leaving on his weekend trip, but I don't see that he posted it.

I did find THIS however, in mandozine.... the TablEdit file, which is very easy to learn from... it's in D, which I like. At least, it seems like D to me, but the file says E.

I'd love to hear some of our singers in the group, take this one on!
  2. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    One of the funniest uses of this song is in the Coen brothers movie "Raising Arizona." Holly Hunter sings this song as a lullaby as she's putting her stolen child to sleep.
  3. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I saw that on YouTube Don and didn't realize what movie it was from. I thought, "why in the world would she be singin' that to a little bitty baby!?!" LOL.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here it is first on my Petersen Tenor Guitar, then on my Mid-Missouri mandolin. Still haven't figured out how to turn up the volume any more on my daughter's laptop webcam, so the audio isn't that great...

5. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice, on both instruments.

Tim O'Brien covers this one on his instructional mandolin and bouzouki DVD. It's been a while since I've seen it, though.
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I like it a lot with the backup chords and bass, David. And Barbara, you're making me wish my husband had had the forsight not to trade in the tenor guitar I gave him for a yuke several years ago. It was ugly and cheap, but listening to your Peterson makes me think I'd like to experiment on one.

I have never given this song a chance before because I hated the lyrics! But, once I got past the psychopath lover, poison wine, and bloody sabre, I discovered that the melody is nice. Maybe it's time to revisit Banks of the Ohio?

This is on the Flatiron A5-2.

7. Eddie Sheehy
    This is as I learned it from the Tim O'Brien DVD... played on a Gypsy OM.

8. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Barbara and Group, so sorry, i thought i had posted the tabs but things get pretty hectic around here when we head up to our camp, which is most weekends from April til October. the version Barbara put up is the same one i had.
    i'll try to post mine later today.

mike
  9. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Sounding pretty good group!
  10. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Barbara, David, Marcelyn and Eddie, thanks for your very nice renditions on multiple instruments.
    I had never heard this song before so it was good to hear several versions before trying it.
    ... oh, yes, played on my Eastman 815, with Band-in-a-Box accompaniment.

11. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Wow, a lot of great versions for this one so far.
    I've seemed to have misplaced my glasses so i'm doing this one by Braille.
    Such a morbid song that i tried to play it with a more up-beat tempo.
    I always associate this song with Amreican Folk, the first time i heard it was in a coffee house circa 1964?? during the folk craze.
    anyway, here's my go.

mike
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred, very nice!
    Mike, sounds good! Your glasses are on your head, but I think you've misplaced your pick!
  13. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Well, my wife claims i'm lucky i remember where i live
    I grew up playing guitar and sometimes just like to feel the strings. since the mandolin spacing is so close ya can't really finger-pick so kinda plucking w/ my thumb brings out a different tone, i feel, but resting my hand on the face really deadens the sustain.

thx

mike
  14. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Here's my attempt at Down in the Willow Garden. Tom

15. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Three more nice renditions. Mike, I can't play a darn thing when I rest my hand on my face.
  16. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Martin, you're right, when i say i play 'by ear' i mean actually strumming the strings with them HAH!
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great work from all the contributors. I was tempted to take this one in a new direction, but in the end I thought it worked best fairly straight. I like what the Kruger Brothers did with it, though.

18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS..... that was wonderfull! And, you make it SOUND bluegrass.... but I expected that!
  19. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    I fully concur with Barbara, OS.
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    Excellent OS.
  21. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Well, if there's ever a greatest hits compilation from the SAW social group, that one should be on it OS. Love it!
  22. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    When Manfred posted, in another thread, that the bar is being raised, he was not kidding! great work by All!!

mc
  23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thank you very much folks. I especially like the "Greatest Hits" idea
  24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Song a Week Social Group Greatest Hits.... or, Old Sausage blows us all out of the water!
  25. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Actually.....
  26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I think Barbara would feature very prominently on that album - it would probably have to be at least a double CD issue.
  27. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    My version is taken from a simplified fiddle arrangement by Stuart Duncan. I'm playing the Old Wave. I've been falling behind so I thought I better post something.

I really enjoyed all the other well done versions. Good work everyone!

Eric

28. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Nice work, Eric.
  29. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very good, and the Old Wave looks and sounds wonderful.
  30. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen.

Eric
  31. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice and musical, BlueMt
  32. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hey Eric, I wondered where your great renditions had gotten to. That's exactly the feel I was going for. I'm going to study that version to pick up some of those fun ornaments you tossed in.
  33. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    I drew my sabre through her
    Which was a bloody knife
    I threw her in the river
    Which was a dreadful sight

My father always told me
    That money would set me free
    If I would kill that dear little girl
    Whose name was Rose Con-lee.
  34. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:1
    T:Down In The Willow Garden.tef
    C:
    L:1/8
    Q:240
    M:3/4
    K:D
    z3A, A,B, | "D"D4 D2 | EF E2 D2 | A4 F2 | "Bm"AB z2 FE | "D"D4 D2 | EF E2 D2 | "Bm"B,4 D2 | \
    B,4 A,B, | "D"D4 D2 | EF E2 D2 | A4 F2 | "Bm"AB z2 FE | "D"D4 F2 | "A"E2 zF E2 | \
    "D"D4 D2 | D4 A2 | "G"AB B2 B2 | d2 B2 F2 | "D"A4 F2 | "Bm"AB z2 FE | "D"D4 D2 | \
    EF E2 D2 | "Bm"B,4 D2 | B,4 A,B, | "D"D4 D2 | F2 E2 D2 | A4 AF | "Bm"AB z2 FE | "D"D4 F2 | \
    "A"E2 zF E2 | "D"D6 | z6 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/