Week #46 ~ Planxty John Irwin ~ O'Carolan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    We've had at least one other O'Carolan tune; here's a link to learn about O'Carolan.

This is the ABC from www.thesession.org Click on the link to take you to the lengthy discussion about this tune, and O'Carolan in general... This one is in G

X: 1
    T: Planxty Irwin
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Gmaj
    |:d|g2 f efg|d2 c BAG|c2 A Bcd|F2 G A2 d|
    g2 f efg|d2 c BAG|c2 A Bcd|G2 F G2:|
    |:d|g2 g gfg|a2 a afd|b2 b a2 g|f2 e def|

Here's another ABC from abcnotation (click on the link to take you straight to this in standard notation) This arrangement is written saying it's all in G, but it actually plays it once through in G, and then changes to D (so those c's should actually be c#'s)....

X:62
    T:Planxty Irwin
    T:Colonel John Irwin
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    R:jig
    K:Gmaj
    |:d|g2 f efg|d2 c BAG|c2 A Bcd|F2 G A2 d|
    |:d|g2 g gfg|a2 a afd|b2 b a2 g|f2 e def|
    W:Variation from lazyhound
    A|d2c B>cd|A2G F>ED|G2E F>GA|~C2D E2c|
    d2c B>cd|A2G F>ED|G2E F>GA|D2C D2:|
    |:A|d>ed d2d|e2e ecA|[D2A2f2]f e2d|dcB ABc|
    d2c B>cd|A2G F>ED|G2E F>GA|D2C D2:||

Here's an ABC in D

X:9
    T:Planxty Irwin
    C:Turlough O'Carolan (1670-1738)
    H:Also in G, #2
    Z:id:hn-carolan-9
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    K:D
    |: A | d2c | B>cd | A2G | F>ED | G2E | F>GA | C2D | E2c |
    d2c | B>cd | A2G | F>ED | G2E | F>GA | D2E | D2 :|
    |: A| d2d | d>cd | e>fe | ecA | f2f e>fd | c>dB | ABc |
    d2c | B>cd| A2G | F>ED | G2E | F>GA | D2E | D2 :|

There's confusion when playing O'Carolan, as to the time signature... is shown in both 3/4 and 6/8..... but, even if notated as 6/8, it's definitely NOT a jig! I 'hear' waltz, mainly, but many of his pieces are played more as 'aires'...

I already knew this one, here it is in D on my Collings MT2O mandolin.

2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    TABs from TheSessions website. I will post Barbaras other ABCs as well

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...8&d=1268421167

mc
  3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks for this excellent demonstration, Barbara.
  4. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    It's good Barb demonstrated how it is supposed to sound, so you won't get the false impression that this is O'Carolan's wildest headbanger he wrote after he had too much Guinness (which it is to me):

6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram, I liked it! I'm working on learning to play rhythm on my OM (& cittern), so here's me playing our bands versions of the chords as we play the tune, but playing along with the feel of your version!

7. daltai
    daltai
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=krvY7psNC9E
    Finbar Furey put words to this great tune about 30 years ago--O'Carolan's Tribute.
  8. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Here's mine - I've been playing this tune for a while and doubt I'll improve it much. Tom

9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's one from my vaults. This was recorded in 1998 and not the greatest in sound quality. The photos of Irvine....I mean Ireland are more recent.

10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yes, Barb, that's about the feeling I am heading for.
    BTW that staircase in the background looks as steep as in the mines of Moria

Tom, that was clean picking as usual, all it needs is a little bit more of that waltzy swing.

David has the most authentic time journey so far, I think - O'Carolan playing his harp in the halls of a king (or dreaming of it). Nice shot of the Moher cliffs and the house of tragedy, Kylemore Abbey, again.
  11. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Wow, great versions all.
    Hey, i just realized that my audio player will play multiple versions at the same time!!!
    if you start Bertram's and wait about 2-3 seconds then start Barbara's rythm version they will actually be in sync for a while,,, a Virtual session!!! how COOL is that??
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I tried recording a version where I played Betram's video and recorded myself playing along with it, but the chords that I am playing don't go with his double stops somewhere once it gets going.... but for some of it, we do sound good together!
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done everyone!
  14. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Lovely stuff. I just worked up some chords but I can't do track recording and I don't know how I could possibly record my chords with Bertram's playing. Try these Barb - for the A part - DUD DUD with a lot of air picking here and there -

/ 1 4 / 1 / 4 1 / 5 /

/ 1 4 / 1 / 4 1 / 5 1 /

I'm still working on the B part. Its a little harder to for me to hear things for some reason.

I'm hearing it as a real gentle swingy sort of thing with the chords. I try to imagine myself waltzing when I play it. I tried to stick some minors in there but I think it sounds better with majors.

Man, it looks like Jill's critter is about to eat my antique Zamboni.
  15. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Rob, I often do poor man's track recording: Why don't you play Bertram through your PC speakers, play along and record that.
    Just a thought.
  16. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    I'll see what I can do. I've never uploaded any videos to youtube and I'm honestly not sure I want to do that - too public. If I made an Mp3 could I just upload it directly? Or would I have to have to post it on a hosting site?
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    The way we play this, the rhythm guitar does Boom Chuck Chuck (123) for each chord (waltz style) except at the end of both the A & the B, it's Boom Chuck Chuck, Boom Chuck Chuck, Boom Chuck Chuck (change from D to A on last chuck), Boom .....

D G D Bm G Bm A A
    D G D Bm G Bm D-A D--

D D A A Bm Em A A
    D G D Bm G Bm D-A D--
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Rob, there is a section of the regular message boards, Scott set up for us to attach our mp3's.. and then you link to it from the social group.

Posting to youtube hasn't hurt me yet!!!
  19. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    That is funny - your chords are identical to mine except for the relative minors you have in there. I tried it that way - ended up liking the majors - just a personal taste thing. Probably I'll like those minors in the B Part which I have not yet had a chance to work on. I'm backing it with a DUD jig strum but lots of variations and slow.
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I read what you said about jig rhythm.... in my opinion, this is a waltz, and the strumming should be of a waltz (even an evil waltz like Bertram's!), which is DDD (or boom chuck chuck), not DUD, but to snazz it up like Bertram's, I was strumming 1, 2&, 3&, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2&, 3&, 1, 2, 3; which would be strummed D, DU, DU, D, D, D, D, DU, DU, D, D D.

The difference is that a waltz has 3 pulses per measure (each quarter note is one beat, or pulse) and jigs, while they have 6 eighth notes per measure, have 2 pulses per measure... 123, 456

Does this make sense?
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Rob, in trying to understand what you were saying, I've been experimenting, and if I understand you right, you said you slowed it down to waltz speed, but instead of picking your 123 as DDD you are picking it as D U D. At first I misinterpreted it, and was trying to apply jig rhythm to the waltz, ie, picking DUD DUD DUD, for the 1, 2 and 3. But, now I think I understand... however, from what I've read, it is thought to be most correct for waltzes to be picked down on the quarter notes, and I would assume, it would be also correct to STRUM down on the quarter notes...
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    As far as the chord progression, I'm working from our band's chords as they play this tune. They are all about adding minors in whenever possible!
  23. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    I learned this one this morning, so here's a quick, simple and dirty version. I'm playing an Old Wave and recording with iMovie using the iMac's camera and mic. The camera angle is a little off and there's a couple of clams but what the heck. I'm really enjoying learning all these great tunes and listening to everyone's versions. Thanks!

24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    BlueMt., that was great! Your mando sounds lovely, and from what I can see of it, looks beautiful, too!
  25. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    BlueMt. - that sounded the business and I too think that your Old Wave sounds particularly lovely!
  26. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Barbara and Jill, Thanks for the kind words. I just happened into a trade for this Old Wave, here on the classifieds, and it's exactly what I've been looking for in both tone and playability.

PS Jill, Every time we post consecutively our avatars overlap. Your dog looks like it's ready to bite the headstock off of my Weber.

Eric
  27. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Aye, and earlier she was going to devour Rob G.'s antique Zamboni avatar! She's a Chow mix, so from now on she'll be known as "Chowzilla!"
  28. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Barb, I'll try to post an mp3 with my back up effort. There are a million different ways to back up these tunes - I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way. As far as minor chords - yes they can be very nice. It all depends. I tried it that way but my initial reaction - in the A part anyway - was that the tune was better supported with major chords.

Man Jill, there goes that Chowzilla of yours again.
  29. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    BlueMt, very nice! Where were the clams?
  30. Solas
    Solas
    I'm in a room with complete silence and my camera still manages to produce quite a bit of background noise... gotta find a better mode of recording.

I do love those octave mandolins--great sound!

31. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Have just posted an mp3 via the upload facility. Mandolin lead with mandolin chords played on my JK Mandolin and recorder on Reaper on my laptop. Looking at getting a camcorder at the moment to get some more YouTube stuff done. My previous efforts have been done on my wee Fuji still camera in its video setting, and I am looking to get some better filming, such as ablility to use zoom.
    Forgot to add the address! http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...5&d=1268565166
    Silly me
  32. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Great stuff guys - such a lovely tune.
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Rob, I wasn't meaning to imply that you had to back up a tune in a certain way! One of the great things about this group, is seeing and hearing all the different ways to play or arrange a tune~ I'm looking forward to hearing yours.

I am just learning playing rhythm, and I do it on my bigger instruments... my OM or my cittern. I've been a melody player almost exclusively in the 5 years since I started playing. So, for sure, I'm just learning the strumming techniques, and am trying to work on them. One strum pattern that I'm now just trying to get, is DUD DUD jig strumming at jig speed....
  34. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    I know Barb. No worries. I used to go to a class where a professional musician would gather amateur players and try to form us into a contra dance band. We would learn a new tune and then go to class with chord ideas etc. It never ceased to amaze me how many different ways the individuals in the group would come up with to back up tunes. It was great fun collaborating on chords and rhythms and we came up with lots of interesting things.

Here is my quick attempt at a back up. I was balancing an iPod recorder and a home stereo and a computer etc. which was a bit of a challenge. I had to start up playing sort of in the middle of a phrase. Not ideal. The mix etc. is awful. Be gentle!

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...060#post779060
    I hope this link works!

This version is in G. The chords I used are

A part

/1 4/1 /4 1/5 /

/1 4/1 /4 1/5 1/

B Part

/1 /5 /6m 2m/5 /

/1 4/1 6m/4 1/5 1/
  35. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Not only music, but a circus act too, Rob, with all this balancing and juggling of i-pods, etc. Nice track and "busy" sound. What is your backing track - one you have made yourself? What is the instrument coming in in the final part? is it a synthed sound or what?
    By the way, video, as Barbara says, seems not to be an allowable format on the upload thread. Maybe size is a factor? Video is always available via YouTube and probably other such sites, and I think you can restrict viewing of your material should you so wish, though I have found that posting on such sites gives you a purpose to try to get things as well done as you can knowing they are open to public scrutiny. It has certainly done this in my case, and given me a whole new area to explore when I try to add suitable visual material to the tunes rather than the camera shot of self playing that is very popular and straightforward to capture (and excellent when one wants to see the playing hands/fingers of the musician).
  36. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    The link is not working properly!!! I'll try to get it fixed.

Now it seems ok. The melody is from the sweet youtube posted by David Hansen above - I just played that through my stereo and backed it up with guitar - recorded the whole thing with my I-pod - as you say a bit of a circus act.
  37. Eddie Sheehy
    Planxty Irwin on a Gypsy OM

38. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice, Eddie! How long is the scale of that OM? It looks shorter than mine....
  39. Eddie Sheehy
    It's 20". It's an ultra-custom Gypsy. Check out pix in my album http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=99
  40. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Here's my stab at it. nuthin' fancy.

mc
  41. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's my first post. I am really enjoying learning this song. It looks like I'll be busy catching up on the other 45.

42. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Michael, interesting lineup of instruments in the back, apparently all made in the Shire

Good one, Marcelyn, your face teaches us all what concentration is supposed to look like, your playing got that relaxed swing. I am looking forward to the 45... would next week do?
  43. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Marcelyn, welcome to the group and great playing there!!!
    Bertram, yeah, got all of those from some little guy named Frodo and i took his ring too

mc
  44. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Marcelyn, I love your version. Is there any way you could share your notation?
  45. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hey Bertram, if you think that's concentration, you should see me trying to do Algebra. Next time I'll take some of that guinness you mentioned above beforehand.
    Hi Jim, I don't have notation, but I basically just added a drone note to Barbra's awesome version. The only two-finger chords I used were the high D and F# at the beginning of each line and the C# and low E on the D string in the first line. That partial A chord was always a little of a stretch for some reason. That's where the look of concentration was coming in I think.
    Thanks for the welcome Micheal. This seems like a fun group.
  46. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Really nice Marcelyn. All those slides and double stops really fill it out. Lovely.
  47. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Welcome, Marcelyn. Very nice playing. Looking forward to more contributions from you.
  48. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely rendering, Marcelyn. You get a lot of feeling into this tune. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Good to see someone newer than me in the group and you have your first recording up now, a major hurdle!
    This is indeed a fun group to be in and so international in its membership. It has certainly made me look at and listen to my own playing and learn new tunes more than I did before, and there are so many versions of the tunes on offer, quite often reflecting the background of the player and his/her physical location. I am sure I can hear American influences in many cases and I try to get my Scots/Irish influences into my own renderings.
  49. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Thanks Marcelyn. I'm woking on it. : )
  50. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Solas, Eddie, Michael and Marcelyn, Those versions were all very different and well done. I enjoyed them all.

Eric
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast