Week #29 - Kitchen Girl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Yes Barb I do love his work! I am in the process of getting a pickguard from him and another armrest for my guitar. i just played this song through with putting more pressure on the armrest and yes I do notice that it stabilizes my forearm a lot more. Thank you!
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Regardless of the rights and wrongs of what to do with wrists and elbows, I think the video you did when you kept your wrist clear of the bridge showed a real improvement Kyle - good job.
  3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hey look! AEAE tuning is a lot easier than I thought it would be. I guess it's obvious, but you can just play on the bottom two strings whatever works on the top two strings. Maybe not so good if you want to play in any key other than A, but who wants to do that anyway? Thanks for getting me started, Don. This is on my old Summit F-100-S, which is a pretty good mando that I don't play much any more because it has a slightly wider fretboard that seems to give me finger pain problems. It was my main axe for many years though.

4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS... I'm gonna have to march upstairs and get one of my other mandos and check it out! I'm guessing that if you wanted to play in a different key, you'd tune it to that other cross tuning... what was it GDGD? Then you should be able to play in D or G?
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes I guess you're right, that would be exactly the same tuning effectively, just at a lower pitch. It might be kinder on your instrument too if it's more delicate. I don't know if it would work so well for playing in D because you would have all those open 4ths?
  6. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Thanks OS. This song sound really sweet in cross tuning. I only got one mando now, but I will have to try it sometime.
  7. Susanne
    Susanne
    GDGD with a capo on should work fine for playing in D. OS, you have no bouzouki attitude!!
  8. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    OS, dang, I can't see your video at work--youtube is blocked--have to wait till I get home. Now tune one of those high E's down to C# and really have some fun.

Barbara, it won't take long to figure it out. I prefer the deeper more resonant sound of GDGD--just had the oval in AEAE for something else and thought it would work for Kitchen Girl.

I have some more videos on YouTube playing tunes in GDGD if you're interested. http://www.youtube.com/manomando09

Kyle, I agree with OS--you got a major improvement in tone when your wrist wasn't anchored. I tend to brush the G string end of the bridge with the heel of my hand and sometimes brush the pickguard with my fingers to give me some reference points. It's a lot easier to play that way in AEAE tuning where you can play all the strings all the time.
  9. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Thanks Don!
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Don, is that "Get up John" tuning, with the E down to C#?

Now my string snapped

Susi, you are quite right that I do not have a bouzouki attitude.
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's mine! My Weber Bridger A mandolin thanks you, Don, for suggesting tuning an 'extra' mando in cross tuning.... it's been languishing in it's case since March, when I bought my Collings!

I started trying to incorporate some more double stops in here, so I'm fumbling around... and still have a time hitting that high B...

12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Don, I've gone to your youtube channel & subscribed... which tunes are in your GDGD cross tuning?
  13. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Barbara, I guess it's only Gilderoy and Shove The Pig's Foot Further In the Fire. At one time I was learning everything in GDGD but I guess I only recorded those 2. It can get addicting real fast as you'll see.

OS, I don't think it's totally Get Up John tuning, but the C#/E is part of it.

There's a video of Mike Compton on YouTube (can't search for it at work) playing Jenny Lynn in AEAE that really rocks.
  14. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    OS and Barbara, nice job on the tuning. You really got those strings ringing.
  15. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Barb, your Bridger sure sounds sweet in cross tuning!
  16. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Better late than never. Here's me trying a few subtle variations on the octave. Butch B. also recorded this tune as the Two Girls From Galax and switched the A and B parts around.

17. Susanne
    Susanne
    Very nice!!!! How cool with and oldtime tune on the octave!
  18. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Thanks Susi. I think the OM is perfectly suited for old time fiddle tunes. At elast that's how I'll mostly be using mine until I get some more Irish tunes under my belt!
  19. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    You're sounding really good on the octave, Shaun.
  20. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    2 1/4-years later. . . Along comes papa gordo.

f-d
  21. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    That was awesome, Fatt-dad! Another one I need to record sometime!
  22. Susanne
    Susanne
    Better later than never! Very nice! Beautiful mandolin too.
  23. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    another tune I have picked up thanks to the the song-a-week project. I have been playing it for a month or 3 but never got a chance to record it.

24. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    you well and truly nailed that one Paddy, made it look effortless
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12