First Discussion

1. Barry Mando
    Barry Mando
    Welcome to all who play the beloved electric mandolin! Feel free to discuss anything pertaining to this great instrument. I personally play a Rono 5 string Baritone Mandolin and it has changed my life. I currently play it in my trio The Barry Mando Project and we play everything from modern Jazz to Hendrix. The electric Mando, especially the baritone, is the greatest string instrument ever made.
    Thanks
  2. rico mando
    whats the scale length and what gauge are your strings?
  3. Barry Mando
    Barry Mando
    Sorry Rico its been a while been busy. I play a Electric Baritone Mandolin which is pictured for this group. It was built by the famous but not so liked Ron Oates. Im not sure of the exact measurements of the length of the scale but I currently use guitar strings by Elixer and 11's without the .18. Ive tried different gauges and used Elixer 12's without the low E string for years but have settled on 11's instead.
    I noticed on your profile that you build. Do you have any Baritones? I would be interested in seeing some pics if you have any.
    Check out the article that jazzmando.com did on me last week and see the Bari in action.
    http://jazzmando.com/new/archives/001170.shtml
  4. rico mando
    i would not call myself a builder yet. as i am building my first. it takes a lot of time when every cut,scrape and sand is your first attempt . i may make more but not many. i would rather play and surf .new pics coming soon ,frets are in but not leveled .installing steve ryder humbuckers when done. Respect to the master luthiers
  5. bevb
    bevb
    Hi, I've just joined and added a pic of my emandos, one made in UK one in USA...just to be fair !
  6. Barry Mando
    Barry Mando
    Thanks! They are beautiful.
  7. mandroid
    mandroid
    After a long time in the apartment, or stored under the couch,I took the Pentaula out to the Monday
    holiday Version of the Moose lodge based jam, with Food as the main attraction..

Have been using the Lodge every other week on saturday afternoons so they are used to seeing /hearing us.

FYI,current tuning is an octave down GDAEB, single coil Pickup a decidedly Country sound..

Using heavier strings than the AEBF#C# tuning It started with
  8. Mandobart
    Mandobart
    Hello all, I'm new to this group. Been playing mandolin ~ 2 years, other inst. a bit longer. I have electrified most all my instruments with piezo pickups, but I would like a solid body electric mandolin. I would like to try to build it. Can anyone recommend any material/info/web sites etc. for a first build e-mando? Thanks.
  9. Tom Wright
    Tom Wright
    "Can anyone recommend any material/info/web sites etc. for a first build e-mando? "

Check this thread:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ody-emando-kit

I like Steve Ryder's pickups.