Week No. 26 ~ Midnight on the Water

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    THIS IS REALLY WEEK 25!!!!

I have a meeting so I'm going to call week's tune as "Midnight on the Water" on Eastern time, kinda. It was a 5-5 tie still late this morning, so "Midnight" wins by a flip of the coin.

ABC from the Session:

X: 1
    T: Midnight On The Water
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Dmaj
    DE |: "D"F2 F2 FE |"D" F2 F2 FE|"D" F A3 AB|"D" AFED DE |
    "D"F2 d2 "G"B2 |"D" A3 F DE |"A" F2 AF EF |1"D" D4 DE :|2"D" D4 (3ABc||
    |:"D"d6|"D" dc BA Bc|"D" d3 B AF|"D" D4 d2|
    "Em"e e3 f2|"Em" e2 d2 e2|"Bm"f a3 f2|"Bm"gfed Bc|
    "G"d3 cde|"G" dc BA Bc |"D" d3 B AF |"D" D4 DE |
    "D"F2 d2 "G"B2 |"D" A3 F DE |"A" F2 AF EF |"D" D4 ||

ABC from the Fiddler's Fake Book, the Luke Thomasson version, with some rolls and triplets:

X: 1
    T:Midnight on the Water
    N:Luke Thomasson
    B:Fiddler's Fakebook
    D:David Bromberg - Midnight on the Water
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    K:D
    | DE | F2 F2 FE | F2 F2 FE| F A3 AB| AFED DE |\
    F2 d2 (3BdB | A3 F DE | F2 AF (3E/F/E/ D |1 D4 DE :|2 D4 (3ABc||
    |d3 cde| dc BA Bc| d3 B AF| D4 d2|\
    e e3 f2| e2 d2 e2|f a3 f|gfed Bc|
    d3 cde| dc BA Bc | d3 B AF | D4 DE |\
    F2 d2 (3BdB | A3 F DE | F2 AF (3E/F/E/ D | D4 DE|>|

Enjoy.
  2. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    OK I'll bite. Here's my try.

4. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Nice job, David. We ought to learn more waltzes.
  5. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice playing, mandolin and hat!
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Janey Mack! Talk about setting the bar high - David that was the business!
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    Udaman Dave, Van Morrison hat and all...
  8. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    David,
    Did you lay down the guitar part? Love the hat!
  9. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    "Midnight on the Water" played on an Eastman 815. Tom

10. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I like the triplets, Tom.
  11. chrisblack
    chrisblack
    Here's my go at Midnight on the Water... keeping it simple..

Chris

12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Chris! Lovely version there!
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Actually not late with this one for a change! Played on the latest addition to the herd - an '08 Weber Custom Gallatin F oval, the Pomeroy is still my #1, just wanted a good back up mandolin.

14. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice playing Jill. I have have to say I'm envious of the folks on this list with a number of good mandos. I should be so lucky as to have a Weber Gallatin as my backup mandolin!
  15. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I like hearing those "bowed" triplets. Very Irish.
  16. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Here is mine. With a few flubs in there. I have yet to record a song with mistakes. lol

17. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Ok I had to do this again... I made a couple variations. My temp is a little off in the A part. I had it perfect and then I go to record it and I lose it!

18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, ya'll, just got back from my week-long camping trip, haven't even started unpacking the camper, but needed a little mando time. We play this tune a little differently, here it is...

19. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice Barbara. I like the tremolo.
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Kyle and Barbara - tremelo rocks, really suits this tune!
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    To avoid any confusion, this SHOULD be entitled Week #25, not Week #26!
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    My version is based on Butch Baldassari's from his CD A Day In The Country. Equipment check: I'm playing a Deering Sierra 5-string banjo, an Ibanez AW-100 dreadnought and a Fender jazz bass, as I often do for the backing. My mandolin as ever is the Eastman 515.

23. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    more awesome tremelo! Nice one, Old Sausage, I really enjoyed listening to that!
  24. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Jill - your videos with the new Weber are pretty awesome too!
  25. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    you are too kind, sir!
  26. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    OS, that's some fine playing right there. Butch also included this one in one of his teaching books/CDs.
  27. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice OS! I like the part where you go way up the neck.
  28. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
  29. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great playing and audio quality there, Mike!
  30. Susanne
    Susanne
    Here is my recording. I wish my husband was here to play the guitar, he plays really nice chords on this one.
    I've played this for a while, it's a lovely tune.
    Sorry for my cut-off head and very bleak colours - I'll need to do the recordings in a more cheerfully coloured room!!!

31. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Hey, Barb & all, sorry about the bogus "Week 26" designation here. Now you know why my wife won't let me have the checkbook. The software will let me edit the first post but not the post title, so I'm not sure what to do besides look like a schmuck.
  32. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, very nice! Bleak though the background may be, the array of instruments is a nice change from your ironing board! I prefer playing music to ironing ANY day!
  33. Susanne
    Susanne
    Yeah, you're right, the instruments are nicer to watch than the ironing board! Haha, I haven't even thought of the presence of the ironing board in the other vids!!!!
  34. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    Susi,

Very nice and what a beautiful instrument you're playing. The sound was great.
  35. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Very nicely played, Susi.

Mike: cymbals? How often do you hear cymbals when you're on the water at midnight? Or was that the waves lapping on the shore I heard? Seriously though, very nice tone. The mp3 is letting the sound quality come through that YTube doesn't.
  36. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    That was lovely, Susi, and your mandolin sounds awesome!
  37. Susanne
    Susanne
    Thanks!!
  38. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    Here's the offering of a beginner, played slow with just a few missed notes. I can play it perfectly and then turn on the camera and mess up every time.
    Anyway, I enjoyed this one too. I hope I got close.
    Best,
    D.
  39. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Dukaine.... very good! A beginner, you say? We all have the same problem with flubbing it when the camera is rolling! Hey, you even managed to smile.... many of us have a real hard time with that! Tell us about your mando! Looking forward to many more submissions from you!
  40. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You have very good rhythm for a beginner Dukaine - did you play another instrument before the mandolin?
  41. Eddie Sheehy
    Some great renditions there. What does an ironing board look like by the way?
  42. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    OS,
    I've been playing the guitar for about 29 years. It's been a long love affair. Mostly acoustic, but over the last 5 years I've played an electric guitar fairly regular. My wife's uncle has played the mandolin nearly all his life. He's 85 now and simply amazing with his Gibson. He inspired me to pick up the mandolin. I fell in love right away - the guitar's not jealous. At least I don't think so. I'm playing one or the other every day.

Barb, my instrument is a New York Pro. When I was looking for a starter mando I found it on-line at The Mandolin Hut. They also sell Kentucky's and a few other brands. Having played the above mentioned Gibson and a few Michael Kelleys it is definitely a low end instrument but right now it's all I can afford.
    I know I speak for everyone when I say thanks for the Song-a-week group. Its given me focus and a goal. To attempt to play the weekly piece is a great learning tool. The video is a big part of that because I can watch my hands, the position of my thumb behind the neck, where my right hand is going or not going and so forth. It also seems that each song presents a different musical challenge - some new theory or fingering. Thanks!
    Best,
    D.
  43. Susanne
    Susanne
    Dukaine - very nice!!!!!!
    Eddie, don't you have ironing boards in Ireland?? I don't even remember if we had one in our house there, but I think we did. I just didn't use it a lot because our laundry room was freezing cold! I only think there is one video left with the ironing board, or a small part of it shows up, it's on Lanna Villes Schottis. It's just a wooden board with foldable legs that you use for ironing anyway..
  44. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi... have you deleted the videos you had submitted? I'm sorry to hear that, as I think every one of them was worth watching/listening to! I think Eddie was being sarcastic.... surely he knows what an ironing board is, even if he's never used one, haha!
  45. Susanne
    Susanne
    Haha, that's the man stuff! (especially in Ireland, hehe)
    I'm sad to say that yes, I deleted much of the stuff that I uploaded. I've had a period when I've been very critical towards myself and thought everything sounded ####. Also, I'm not very fond of You Tube in this context. It's only happened twice that I've received nasty comments, I don't care much about them, just delete them and pm them that if they don't like the video there is a stop button. But anyway, I prefer to just have my best stuff on You Tube, and then use Vimeo or similar (that isn't as much visited as You Tube) for my more beginner-like stuff... right now I'm in a very non-mandolin period, I mostly play squeezeboxes if I play at all (I have lots to do with school right now). But I do pick up the mandolin sometimes and when I do, I promise to try to make some new videos... i'd love to record "Bluegrass stomp" and also learn "Southern Flavor" even if that feels like an utopia right now. I should be able to do something with Shady Grove.
  46. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Sorry I'm so late. Better than never I suppose. It's nothing fancy. I just wanted to get it done.

47. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one, Chris!
  48. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    It's been a while since I've been able to participate. Hope to get back into the swing of things.

Here's my version as best as I can remember Butch Baldassari teaching it: all downstrokes (except for the triplets) and tremolo. My laptop fan kicks into high gear during the tune, but youtube is going to wreck the sound anyway so here it is.

49. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Simply beautiful Don!
  50. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    beautiful indeed, Don! If anyone ever asks me what it is that's so great about the mandolin I'm just going to play that clip for them, nuff said!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast