The Silver Spear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    I'm just getting my feet wet with some Irish tunes and thought I'd try my hand at this one. I'm really enjoying listening and learning Irish tunes. I don't know how someone could be sad or sit still while listening to this kind of music. I just makes ya wanna move!

2. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    Nice touch on the triplets. Sounds like you've been playing Irish for awhile.
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice!!! Tell us about your mando....

I found this in thesession.org

And, here's the ABC

X: 1
    T: Silver Spear, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Dmaj
    A|:FA (3AAA BAFA|dfed BddA|FA (3AAA BAFA|dfed (3BdB AG|
    |FA (3AAA BAFA|dfed Bdef|gage fgfe|1 dfed (3BdB AG:|2 dfed BdAd||
    |:fa (3aaa bfaf|gfed Bdde|fa (3aaa bfaf|gfed (3BdB A2|
    |fa (3aaa bfaf|gfed Bdef|~g3 e ~f3 e|1 dfed BdAd:|2 dfed B2 AG||

Is this close to the tune you are playing? I like it... another Irish tune to learn!
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one, Shaun! And your Pomeroy flat top sounds great too!
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Like selkies dancing in the rain with the raindrops. What a happy and lightweight rendition!
  6. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Thanks for the kind words. The mandolin was made by Don Paine of Pomeroy Mandolins. The back and sides are Indian rosewood and the top is Engelmann spruce. I surely didn't "need" another mandolin but we all know how that goes. I desperately need to change the strings on it and then you could hear how crazy loud this thing really is. I have no issues being heard in jams and sessions. The set up work is sub par IMHO, so I may send it off to someone else to have some tweaking done. But overall, a cool looking, loud mandolin for not a lot of $$!
  7. Susanne
    Susanne
    Yeah, you are good on the triplets.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    It is a beauty, for sure. Is that abalone around the soundhole? I love the look of this style mando!
  9. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    OK Shaun you have posted a GREAT video of a fine tune. As I indicated on YouTube you have inspired me to attempt learning the Silver Spear reel.

It is a harder tune to play then you would think as it is really hard to get all the triplets in there for sure.

I think I tried this too fast but I decided to stick with my only one chance rule at recording. However, I might break that rule and do this one over.

But I really want to put something up as I just got this new (for me)1920 F2 today and I want to hear how it sounds. So warts and all the Silver Spear reel:

10. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Sounding good Bernie. I like that new F2!!
  11. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Thanks Shaun!

BTW Barbara that ABC version you posted from the Session is pretty close to what we are playing. But there are some variations out there -- I notice a lot of banjo players do it in the key of G -- which is simple on the mando -- just move down a string of course.
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I am getting ready to start my 2 day journey from Texas to Iowa.... I have been practicing these last couple of weeks of tunes, and hope to post them next week!
  13. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I learned to play the Silver spear while playing with a local session group. It's a fun reel for sure!
    You'll notice that the A and B part sound a lot alike! It's because I play them both in the same octave on the bouzouki to avoid doing a NASTY 4'th to 9'th fret stretch! Either way, it's still a great tune

14. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Great video Kyle!! That 'zouk sounds great. What tuning are you in? And it sounds like you have the bass courses in octaves? Thanks for the info!
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kyle! Great to see you posting again! Great rendition!
  16. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Thanks y'all.
    My bouzouki is tuned GDAD, and I decided to keep my lower courses in octaves because I love the sound.
    I'll try to post more, but my wife and I had a baby in august and I'm finding it hard to get enough quiet time to record
  17. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Aye, a great old standard that's well worth learning.

18. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
  19. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Here is another link to my mp3 a the previous one does not seem to workhttp://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...6&d=1280930963
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    A grand tune that Shaun resurrected last week-end. I nearly have it down...
  21. Eddie Sheehy
    Still a little rough, specially trying to get the A note in the B part without using a pinky... still, I have to lay down a marker...
    Played on an Eastman 814.

22. etteM
    etteM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gVTaV2_hRg not a very even tempo

I like your mandolin, eddie
  23. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Nice version, ette! Lively and you definitely have the spirit. This is on my "to learn" list and your version encourages me to get cracking on it.
  24. etteM
    etteM
    thank you!:D its pretty messy though, funny I can only hear it when I listen to the recording after playing:D
  25. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    hard not to like this old standard
  26. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    What a great, energetic rendition! I can only enjoy and admire that.
  27. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    kinds words G, i think the couple of medicinal whiskeys may have helped me along there.
  28. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Couple of blemishes on this one, though I did get a good foot exercise

https://youtu.be/IMT8udPeR0Q

-and there’s a camera angle clip along with it
  29. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The camera angle trick reminds me of tbe second half of this one, where I cellotaped a webcam to the ceiling. Your solution looks much more solid&sophisticated.
  30. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice flow in your picking, Simon.
    And thanks to have us a look on your equipment just before someone would become insane by marveling about it ...
  31. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That's a tune worth having a stab at, Simon! Oh, the wit of that man Kelly. Thanks for view of camera setup. I suhhested this sort of solution to Barbara's question to you in another posting, so am glad I was more or less correct.
  32. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    It’s a very heavy microphone stand that I found in a skip, and repaired. On top there’s a flexible lamp stand attached using bicycle inner tubes.
    -a scientific explanation, no magic there.

I did pick up a interesting vid of the stream today. Will use it soon. Might do one of the village too.
  33. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I remember this one! It's a chapter in my disturbed relationship with reels. I've never recorded it, and there's a reason for that.
  34. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I know what you mean Dennis. Each day I have to iron out two tunes that I learned sometime in the past, each has some little detail that I couldn’t get through and therefore I lost interest (in terms of recording at least).

Ouch. The things that we musicians have to go through. Though they say it gets easier. I’m not sure.
  35. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I have heard this tune so often in sessions but never got around to learn it. In my ear, it belongs in a family with Trip to Durrow and Wise Maid which all have that peculiar whining maternal petulance in the A part. But now or never. I've paired it with MacArthur Road and foot-tapped them together (did somebody say "Jumanji"?).

36. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very ! nice Bertram. I like seeing the sun come in your window too.
  37. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Cracking, solid rhythm for dancing Bertram, nice to hear.
  38. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Ginny and Simon.
  39. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Strong and fast! I’m every time impressed how you integrate double stops and chords to support the rhythm.
  40. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yes Frithjof, I have come to take timing seriously, and pronouncing the rhythm helps me to outwit the metronome...
  41. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I was inspired by Bertram to take a run at this. I can go a lot faster but I butcher the triplets in the process. There's something about the A section that bugs me. I think it's as Bertram says: a "peculiar whining maternal petulance."

42. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'd rather have the triplets than more speed. You play really good triplets, and they add to the tune. Great music!
  43. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Lovely and intricate version, Mike. The PWMP I meant is the high d-f#-e-d sequence, whatever yours is
    I used to do lots of triplets back in my TB time because I needed them to keep the sound going on a short-sustain instrument, but learned that the OM with its longer sustain gives me room for harmonies and HOPOs instead.
  44. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great picking, Mike. You give us an example of good tone at the chosen speed (or the other way around).
  45. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I enjoyed your Silver Spear, Mike. Great picking and your triplets are beautiful.
  46. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Yet another two good offerings, Bertram and Mike. Just what is needed to keep the spirits up.
  47. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks John. Indeed it doesn't take spirit to keep the spirits up (I have some in the cupboard, though)
  48. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great stuff Bertram and mike, another I haven't played in years, great tune it is too
  49. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I didn’t know this tune until Simon published his recording in late April.
    This is my take:

50. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good picking and fine triplets there, Frithjof.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast