Week #23 ~ Red Wing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This weeks poll was very close, Red Wing ended up with 6 votes, and Rights of Man ended up with 5 votes. In looking at the voters, all of Rights of Man votes were by regular contributors, and Red Wing, well, 3 were regulars, and 3 were members I don't recall having seen videos from. But, our members are learning from these tunes, whether or not they submit videos, so Red Wing it is.

I'm not familiar with this tune, it's listed as Bluegrass & Old Time.

Here is a link to the TABS in Mandozine

Here is a link (you need to scroll down to find it) to Red Wing on Fiddler's Companion

It has this ABC

X:1
    T:Red Wing
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:G
    G2 GD GA B2|d2 de d2B2|c2 ce gf e2|d2 de d2B2|c2 cB A2c2|
    BcBA G2B2|1 A2E2F2G2|ABAG F2D2:|2 A2E2F2A2|G2D2||
    |:g2f2|e4 e3c|e2g2f2e2|d4 B4|G2d2e2d2|d4 A4|1
    z2 d2e2d2|d4 B4|z2d2:|2 z2 c2B2A2|G3D GABd|g4 g4||

Here's another TAB of Red Wing

This is some standard notation (from a Mountain Dulcimer site)

Since I'm not familiar with this tune, I don't know if any of these tunes linked to are 'right'!
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    Red Wing is a popular tune in our jams. It is really easy and very catchy. As soon as you hear it you will recognize it. Red Wing, Liberty, and Wildwood Flower are probably the most recognizable OT tunes. Your ABC is good Barb. Here's a vid:

3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, yes, this sounds familiar (from way back in the past, as I don't get to go to OT jams!)... and I am getting it, but have a question about this ABC. When the B part ends the 2nd time (as noted in the ABC) is that the final ending? I can't get that 2nd ending to work going back into the A part. Seems like there should be an ending for the B part that goes smoothly back into the A, for the tune repeats a number of times, and that the 2nd ending as noted should be the final ending.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Figured I'd get this out of the way. I know my tempo is erratic... sorry!

5. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    For those of you old enough to remember The Weavers & Pete Seeger, they used this melody for the Union Maid song. The B part (chorus) words, "Oh you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the union..." Anyone else remember that one?
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    Cricket....cricket....cricket......
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    Just kidding Don! I'm a big Seeger fan.
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's mine. A little more hornpipey than bluegrass. Played on my Sobell mandolin with prerecorded tenor guitar and octar.

9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, very nice!
  10. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Here's Arlo telling how Woody wrote the words to the song and Arlo's daughter sings it. Arlo plays a nice Red Wing on the guitar.
  11. Eddie Sheehy
    Played on a Beard Bouzouki...

12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice Eddie... with those shadows, it looks like you've got 1970's hair down to your shoulders!
  13. Eddie Sheehy
    Thanks Barb. I love the way your Collings rings like a bell.
  14. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    I play the A+B parts of the McCranie version in G.

Here goes my rendition.

Terry
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Terry, very nice! If you are a novice, as your you tube video says, you're doing VERY well!
  16. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Yeah, Don, I was surprised to discover this was the same tune as "Union Girl," as I know it from sitting in with a local folksinger. It's a great sing-along. Do you know whether Woody appropriated the tune for his lyrics, or visa versa? YouTube is down, but maybe Arlo reveals all in his intro.

I like the hornpipey version, David. Nice job, Terry. Good on the zook, too, Eddie; I like the medley.

I'm still working on remembering the fingering on the double-stops in B part out of the Fidder's Fake Book. It's a cold, rainy Saturday -- perfect for learning new mandolin tunes.
  17. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    When I was a child my Mom used to sing Red Wing when we had campfires. According to wikipedia it dates from 1907.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Wing_(song)
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I've noticed something cool while playing this tune (once you get to playing it, you don't want to stop!) Anyway, for those of you who have read about 'rest strokes' this is a perfect tune to play and concentrate on those 'rest strokes'

Here is a discussion about rest strokes

Here is a discussion thread about rest strokes

Here is another discussion thread about rest strokes

I think one thing that makes this a tune that is good for rest stroke practice, is that the tune is so easily played without giving any thought to the tune, that you can concentrate on the rest stroke, plus, it lays just right.

Just my observation!
  19. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    Barbara and Mike, thanks for the kind words.
    I started playing a little over a year ago.
    Wish I started years ago... but hey better now than regrets.

TDM
  20. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Okay, here it is, actually on time for a change...

Although y'all are calling this bluegrass, I know this as a singing square by a local caller named Ralph Sweet.

"Promenade right off the floor, That's all there is, there ain't no more!"
  21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hey CD, can you explain what those words you said mean, for those of us who have never heard of a singing square or a caller? Nice pickin, by the way
  22. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Yes, singing squares are a form of square dancing, subtly different from club square dancing (no string ties, for one thing.) Instead of just speaking, as a contra dance caller does, the caller sings the calls to the tune. What I remember, sung to the b-part, is:

Swing, swing, swing your little red wing
    you serenade her, and promenade her
    (other dance moves here, depending on which time thru the dance...)

Promenade is a dance move, where the man basically leads his partner around, side by side. The quote above was used pretty much exclusively by Ralph, at the end of the dance. Another fave that I remember was: "Take your partner to her chair; you know where but I don't care." Great nostalgia trip, this tune. Squares are actually not so popular with contra dancers, but Ralph was (is?), the exception.

Makes me think it's time to start dancing again (haven't since my son was born 10 years ago.)
  23. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    CD, that's how I want to play Red Wing. Normally I don't like the tune but you jazzed it up enough to make it more interesting.
  24. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Heres my simple easy version. The one came a whole lot easier than last weeks.

25. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Awesome Kyle. Here's mine. A little sloppy at the end. Oh well.

26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That sure is a fancy version, Chris, very nicely played. I'm not sure where you found that, I couldn't find any tab that I really liked so I did my own version. A lot of the arrangements out there have a kind of jazzy-swingy feel, but I wanted it to get more of a sort of Wayne Benson-type bluegrass feel. I'm not sure I got it exactly but something like it:

27. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Wow! That was fantastic OS!
  28. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Playing the ball down the middle of the fairway...

29. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hole in one.
  30. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Nice job, everyone. OS, that was really tasty. Mike, I enjoyed your version a lot. I just think it's such a great story that Woody knew this old fiddle tune well enough to be able to write a song on the spot using its melody.
  31. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice versions and playing above.
    This was the TOTW before I joined the group. As it is one of my favorite tunes I thought I could do some catching up with you guys.
    Played on my Eastman 815, 'metronome' provided courtesy of Band-in-a-Box.
  32. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Nice, clean, good tempo. One of my favorites. Well done MH.
  33. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Is it just me or does the A part remind anyone else of Glen Miller's "American Patrol"??

mike
  34. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    It's not just you.
  35. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Martin, thanks for you kind comments.
  36. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Lovely. I like your mandolin.
  37. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Awesome, Manfred!
  38. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Rob and Rob, I really appreciate your encouragement.
  39. justkaron
    justkaron
    @ Mike... A+ for that version of Union Maid!! I've always loved 'Red Wing.'
    Singing and playing both topnotch!
  40. Toycona
    Toycona
    Here's a version that we played at our parish festival last May...

41. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You're coping very well there in the combat conditions of an open air stage in the full sun, with multiple banjos. There should be a special medal for mandolinists who do this and can keep their cool like you!
  42. Toycona
    Toycona
    Thanks for the props! That's Marcus CA on the other mando. We're jamming buddies in the same town. And yes, the sun was hot, the wind was blowing, and the banjos, were...well, being banjoed.
  43. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Bump
  44. nanaimo
    nanaimo
    Well I summoned up the courage to do this - Here is red Wing, mistakes and all! I am exactly 2 months into playing, having purchased my 605 on Jan 31. I have been very inspired watch and listening to your presentations.
  45. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Sounds great, Nanaimo. You are a lot further along than I was at two months. Keep up the good work and keep posting.
  46. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Congratulations on your mandolin and jumping into posting your tune after only two months. Very impressive!
  47. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Here's out take on Red Wing. Figured that was a SOW selection at some point. A really great tune.
  48. WillFly
    WillFly
    I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned the composer of this "Indian Intermezzo" from 1907 - Kerry Mills, one of the most prolific of the cakewalk-style composers. The tune's taken from a piano piece by Schumann. It was very popular with "trad" jazz bands in the UK in the 1950s and '60s. When we were kids we used to sing, "Oh the moon shines bright on Charlie Chaplin" in the chorus!
  49. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Super rendition, Steve and Dawn!
  50. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great sound from the Cantrell band there. Nice tempo too for this pretty melody. Doesn't need breakneck speed.
    Red Wing was #23. I like this tune a lot and am tempted to record a new version with - hopefully - improved skills.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast