How do you like your BRW

1. Jim Nollman
    Jim Nollman
    I have owned my 3-point for about 8 months. I bought it
    on the Cafe classifieds from a pro who needed the money to focus on his bandolim playing. I was a bit unsure of the oval hole, only because I'd been playing ff hole instruments for a long time. I needn't have worried, since this instrument has a super woof, which is a function of very full sounding G notes. I mostly play traditional music and some jazz.

The fit and finish of this instrument is about perfect. When i bought it, however, I glued a little hardwood stick to the underside of the odd-shaped finger rest, just to stiffen it a little more and insure against splitting.

The back of my mandolin vibrates so much, I can't imagine playing it without the tone guard. I sometimes perform without amplification at a Farmer's market, and so I have also added an arm rest to make that vigorous playing experience, less irritating.

I've changed strings 4 times during my tenure with this instrument. These include Jazz mando flat-wounds, J-74s, Dean strings, and my current Elixir nanowebs. All these choices sound good and, actually, its hard to imagine any string brand sounding bad on this fantastic instrument. The nanowebs are something unique when paired with this three point. The sustain is wider than I've ever heard on any mandolin, at least any that I've played. I think I'll stick with this match of instrument and strings for a while.

I'll try to get Ben Wilcox to join this social group, so he can answer any questions any of us might have. I'd like to know, for starters, what brand of tuners he installed on my mandolin.
  2. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    Jim -

I couldn't agree more.

I believe we have the same model. I hope Ben jumps in to verify this, but if my memory serves me correctly he only made a handful of this type (Lt-H4-E), and only by request.

I'm not a bluegrass guy. I play mostly jazz, blues, and such. This instrument is more than I thought it would be. It got rave reviews when Ben was covered by jazzmando.com, and Ted didn't stretch the truth.

I currently have J74's, but I think I'll try some TI's when it's due for a string change. It certainly has the depth of sound to carry them.

I also agree with your comments about fit and finish. You'd be hard pressed to find anything out of the ordinary.

And - finally - Ben was a delight to work with. I wanted something 'special' on this instrument to make it mine. He worked with me to create a great little inlay for the 12th fret that really adds to it's already elegant statement.

And, my avatar is the BRW as well!

Hope to see others jump in here - love to hear some reviews on his other models.

John
  3. Jim Nollman
    Jim Nollman
    John, I can't recommend the nanoweb strings enough. They are a notch above the other three I've tried.

Interesting that you mention your custom fretboard inlay. I have also thought of doing that, but maybe doing it myself.

I was actually worried when I got mine in the mail, and immediately noticed that it had no dots on the fretboard top, and just a few dots on the side. Now after 8 months of performing with it, I find that the lack of dots has actually been an incentive to completely disengage my eyes from my hands. At this point, and for the first time in my life, I can usually hit a 12th fret without looking.

It also looks like we have the same blond top and burgundy back. While i was negotiating for my 3-point, there was another BRW 3-point also for sale, and it was almost certainly the same one that Ted reviewed on jazzmando.com. As you may recall, Ted thought that, for the price, his review instrument would have been improved by purfling and a rosette around the oval, and BRW engraved into the James tailpiece. Mine has all of that, as i suspect yours does as well. I'm curious whatever happened to that redtop that was for sale here last winter.

How many 3-points has Ben built? Or a better question: i haven't heard much about him for the past half year. Is he still building?
  4. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    He had a few being offered a while back in the classified, so I imagine he's still building.

Pity if he wasn't. They are incredible instruments.

And, yes, the appointments are there. I only know of 3 three points that he made, but there might be others. Hopefully he will chime in here and give us some info.

I like what you said about the Nano's. They are on my list to try.

I'd sure like to hear from some of the other BRW owners. Ben has some beautiful models out there. I'd like to hear opinions from them.

You'd do the inlay yourself? You are certainly a better man than I.

(By the way, I'm tempted to have a mandolin built that only goes up to the 5th fret. Usually, if I'm near the 12th fret, I shouldn't be there!)
  5. Mootin
    Mootin
    I own BRW #81, an FT-MS (F-5) mandolin with a Red Spruce top and Red Maple back & sides. It has a 5 ply grained ivoroid binding, banjo frets, H22 neck extension, Elite gold tuners, a gold James tailpiece and a vanish finish with tobacco burst stain. Lastly, it sleeps in an Ameritage case.

I love how this instrument sounds. I talked to Ben about the style of music I play and my aversion to mandolins that sound too bright and edgy. I told him I wanted a warm sound instrument that projects well and plays like butter (great action and well balanced). That is exactly what he delivered. I chose BRW after a multi-year search and I have not been disappointed. One would have to pay a lot more money to achieve minor improvements over this instrument.
  6. Jim Nollman
    Jim Nollman
    It seems like we are all in agreement. Every time I play my instrument I have to smile at the depth of tone and endless sustain. I am now in the middle of a recording project using the 3-point. We worked on a tune today. When it's in a little better shape I'll post it, so you get a feel for my instrument. In the past, recording with lesser instruments, I usually chose effects to bolster the tone. With this instrument, the raw tone is better than anything i might add to it.

I'd also like to hear from more BRW owners. Mine is #65. There must be over 90 instruments out there by now.
  7. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    Mootin -

Got any photos?
  8. MandoPheel
    MandoPheel
    I just traded a 2000 Weber Absaroka (plus cash) for a J-16 (BRW#32) advertised by Big Joe's Guitarworks in the cafe classifieds. It should arrive Monday (Oct. 5th) and I can hardly wait to play it! I'm looking for a nice warm, fat sound with rich (but not muddy) overtones, decent sustain, and good balance between the low, mid and high range (I clearly haven’t given this any thought at all). Big Joe says this J-16 sounds like a cross between an F4 and an F5- that seems like a pretty good description of what I want. I spent a lot of time reading various BRW threads on the message board and listening to clips on Ben's website and became convinced that this is the right model (and luthier) for me. I’m pretty sure it was made for Mandomick- the pictures he posted of #32 definitely fueled my MAS (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1069). I was saving up to order one from Ben, but when this one came up in the classifieds and I was able to get a decent price on the trade, I just couldn’t resist (the fact that I recognized it from Mandomick’s pictures also helped push me over the edge).

I'd be interested to know how other J-16 owners like their instruments and how they would describe the sound.

I’ll let you know how I like #32 after spending some time with it.
  9. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    That is just one hot looking mandolin. The J16 has a great look. Looks new but with a '20s-'30s bend.

Love to hear your report.
  10. Jim Nollman
    Jim Nollman
    I would love to try your mandolin, Mandopheel. The shape seems a slightly altered version of mine, but with those unique twin holes versus my oval.

I notice you live in Portland. I am on San Juan Island north of Seattle. if you ever come up here for any reason, please let me know. I may be driving through Portland sometime this winter on my way to Mount Bachelor.

Also makes me wonder, how many mandolins did Ben build with that burgundy color?
  11. Mootin
    Mootin
  12. Mootin
    Mootin
    My friend, who is the owner of #80, recently posted this.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=55633
  13. Bill Van Liere
    Bill Van Liere
    Howdy All

Owner of BRW 51 here. A varnished red spruce/red maple FT-MS. I have owned and played the instrument since early 2006. It sounded good then, if not a little tight, and sounds great now. It has continued to improve for three years.
  14. Jim Nollman
    Jim Nollman
    it would be nice if all of you would post pics of your instruments.
  15. Bill Van Liere
    Bill Van Liere
    There are some pics of #51 on Ben's website; pic 19 and 26 in the gallery.
  16. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    Anyone know how many mandolins Ben built in total? And has anyone heard from him?
  17. AdHocMando
    AdHocMando
    All: I just joined the group and have a question that I think you can help answer. I have a new MAH2, varnish finish. I bought it new and picked it up this fall. I'll post a picture when I figure out how to do it. Great workmanship, crisp and even tone across all the strings. I was wondering how the tone will change in the coming months or years, based upon your experience. I like it now, but I know it will improve too. I'm just not sure how, or when. Thanks for your experience on this. I'll look forward to reading your ideas.
  18. Mastertone08
    Mastertone08
    Hello AdHocMando I purchased my BRW A-model in May 2008. It's #80 with red spruce over sugar maple and a nitro finish. The mando started to open up noticeably in ten months and has continued to improve rapidly. At the outset Ben Wilcox told me to wait a year for something good to happen and he was absolutely right. The chop is deeper now and well-developed along with the great mid-range and highs. I can really push it hard and the mando never mushes out. My A-model has turned into quite a nice instrument not that it wasn't out-of-the-box. On the strength of this good fortune I ordered an F-model from BRW and expect to take delivery later this year. Same woods but varnish this time. Needless to say I can't wait!
  19. Mootin
    Mootin
    Don't forget to let me know when that BRW arrives. I'll be right over.