Week # 22 ~ Flowers of Edinburgh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    SRS = Strathspey and Reel Society
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Bertram. Imagine my being Scottish and not getting that! Quite a few of my friends play in just such groups too. Such is the power and friendship of The Song-a-Week-Group and Mandolin Cafe.
  3. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    I asked my friend to record a video together to show him how it can improve his playing (and mine). We started playing instruments about the same time (3 yrs ago). We both enjoyed playing this together bluegrass style. We co-started a bluegrass jam locally and we called ourselves the "Slowjammers". Now more than a year later, we both can say we're out of that league and into an "Intermediate" league of play. He's now playing a mandolin and banjo to add to his guitar prowess. Retirement allows one to meddle in all these instruments!

Here's proof that you can teach old dogs new tricks!

Jim
  4. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Sounds great Jim. 252 more Mondays and I'll be able to meddle also.
    Gary
  5. Francis J
    Francis J
    Just going through the list of Song of the Week and another rainy day in Kilkenny, so here goes. I apologise for my misspelling of Edinburgh in the video title. Three mandolins, all made by Joe Foley (actually only one, thrice). I notice a lot of the older videos are gone on this thread, due in part to changes on the site here. The links need to be updated by the original posters, but that's a whole other topic!
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's just great, Francis! I love that arrangement.
  7. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Very well done Francis. The disappearing videos are generally due to Youtube accounts being closed.
  8. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Great playing and tone from your mandolins Francis, good job.
  9. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    great three-mandolin version, Francis.
    that's really good tone, dustyamps.
    Thanks guys for reminding me that I haven't recorded this one yet. It's one of my favorites and will be up soon.
  10. crisscross
    crisscross
    I recorded his hornpipe with Tenor Banjo and Mandolin. Since my TB is tuned A E B F# I had to transpose the tune on the mando from G to A. I tried to pick the triplets on the banjo but on the mando I played them using HOs and POs
  11. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    My take on the tune. Recorded 30 September 2021 on my Falder mandolin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12