Polls ~From Now On They'll be Posted Here!

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #466 poll, which is posted in the regular forum, under "Song and Tune Projects". I will try post the winner on Friday, March 30; however, I am on a 4-5 week road trip, so I may not always be timely with what I do! I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #467 poll, which is posted in the regular forum, under "Song and Tune Projects". I will try post the winner on Friday, April 6; however, I am on a 4-5 week road trip, so I may not always be timely with what I do! I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #468 poll, which is posted in the regular forum, under "Song and Tune Projects". I will try post the winner on Friday, April 13; however, I am on a 4-5 week road trip, so I may not always be timely with what I do! I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #469 poll, which is posted in the regular forum, under "Song and Tune Projects". I will try post the winner on Friday, April 20. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is a link to week #470 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects" I will try post the winner on Friday, April 27. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #471 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects". I will try post the winner on Friday, May 4. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    We've got a tie, and the 3rd place is just one vote behind. I'll keep the poll open for a while longer, to see if we get any more votes, and a clear winner!
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #472, poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects". I will try post the winner on Friday, May 11. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #473 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects". I will try post the winner on Friday, May 18, however, that's the day I'm heading off on my late spring/early summer travels, so it may be late Friday, or even Saturday, when I post the winner. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #474 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects". I will try post the winner on Friday, May 25. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I know it's a busy time of year! I went to post the winner before my day got busy, but there are only 2 votes! I'll leave this poll open for a while longer, then post the winner when I get back to my computer! Vote, if you haven't!
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I’m on the road, and here it is Monday, and I haven’t posted a new poll. So, for week #475, I’m just recycling week #474 poll. If you didn’t vote in the poll already, don’t vote for Devil’s Delight, and I’ll post the winner on Friday, and should be settled somewhere that I can post a new poll for next week!!
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #476 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I'm going to change things up for the summer. Our poll will last two weeks, making it, for the summer at least, the Song Every Two Weeks Social Group!

I will try post the winner on Friday, June 15. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #477 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I'm going to change things up for the summer. Our poll will last two weeks, making it, for the summer at least, the Song Every Two Weeks Social Group!

I will try post the winner on Friday, June 30. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #478 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I will try post the winner on Friday, July 13. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's the link to week #479 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I will try post the winner on Friday, July 27. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's the link to week #480 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I will try post the winner on Friday, Aug 10. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's the link to week #481 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I will try post the winner on Friday, Aug 24. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's the link to week #482 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I will try post the winner on Friday, Sept 7. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!

EDIT! I am traveling, and got confused, and posted the winner of this poll early, on August 31!
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's the link to week #483 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I will try post the winner on Friday, Sept 14. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's the link to week #484 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I will try post the winner on Friday, Sept 28. I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's the link to week #485 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I'm going to change things up for the time being. Our poll will last two weeks, making it the Song Every Two Weeks Social Group!

I will try post the winner on Friday, Oct. 12. However, that is the week I will be camping, and will have limited internet access, so I may be late.

I have also linked to videos of the three tunes on the poll... if you find some videos you'd like others to see, to maybe help them make a decision, please feel free to post them in the discussion on the poll!

You will probably notice that all 3 tunes on this poll are Irish! I populate these polls from suggestions from our members. There is a discussion called Poll Tune Suggestions. I'm down to mostly Irish (or related Scottish, etc.) tunes. Please take a moment to look over the list, and submit some suggestions for me to add to this list. Please also do a quick search of the Table of Contents ~ Official Tunes of the Week, to make sure they haven't been an official tune already. I appreciate your doing that much of the legwork, so I don't inadvertently (again) end up with a tune that's already been Official Tune of the Week, winning another time! I'm OK if they have already been covered as an "Other Tune".
  23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #486 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I'm going to change things up for the time being. Our poll will last two weeks, making it the Song Every Two Weeks Social Group!

I will try post the winner on Friday, Oct. 26.

I usually link to videos of the three tunes on the poll, but I'm having internet issues, and can't... if anyone can help me out, and link to videos in a post in the discussion on the poll, I'd sure appreciate it
  24. John Kelly
    John Kelly

Here is a link to Jessie Smith, Barbara.
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #487 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I'm going to change things up for the time being. Our poll will last two weeks, making it the Song Every Two Weeks Social Group! You’ll probably notice I’m way late on posting this poll. I’m sorry about that, and my mostly being absent. I’ve had somewhat of a family emergency, and am trying to maintain this the best I can!

I will try post the winner on Friday, November 16.

I usually link to videos of the three tunes on the poll, but I'm having internet issues, and can't... if anyone can help me out, and link to videos in a post in the discussion on the poll, I'd sure appreciate it
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to Week #488 poll: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Group-Week-488

I am making an executive decision to change our polls to monthly. My crazy life has prevented me from being able to stay on top of things in a timely manner, and our participation level has dropped quite a bit. I’d like to think it’s because we have been doing this so long, and have such a huge repository of tunes we’ve already covered!

I plan to announce the winner of this poll on Friday, December 21. Please feel free to link to any videos of the tunes on the poll, in the discussion under the poll itself (not in this discussion, please!)
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #489 poll., which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I am making an executive decision to change our polls to monthly. My crazy life has prevented me from being able to stay on top of things in a timely manner, and our participation level has dropped quite a bit. I’d like to think it’s because we have been doing this so long, and have such a huge repository of tunes we’ve already covered!

I plan to announce the winner of this poll on Friday, January 11. Please feel free to link to any videos of the tunes on the poll, in the discussion under the poll itself (not in this discussion, please!)

Again, I'm putting out a call for more tune suggestions! Our list has dwindled, and is now comprised of mostly Irish/Scottish genre tunes. I populate these polls from suggestions from our members. There is a discussion called Poll Tune Suggestions. Please take a moment to look over the list, and submit some suggestions for me to add to this list. Please also do a quick search of the Table of Contents ~ Official Tunes of the Week, to make sure they haven't been an official tune already. I appreciate your doing that much of the legwork, so I don't inadvertently (again) end up with a tune that's already been Official Tune of the Week, winning another time! I'm OK if they have already been covered as an "Other Tune".
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, ya'll! In the two weeks since I posted the poll, 215 people have looked at the poll, and only 2 people have voted! I realize that this is a busy time of year, but I'm wondering if our great project is nearing it's end? We've gone from once a week, to once every two weeks, and now to once a month. My list I'm working from is dwindling, and no one has sent me any new suggestions. I realize that it's possible that we've just about covered every tune, either officially, or as an 'other tune', and there's just no more tunes out there that people want to learn. Input?
  29. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I'm wondering if, as the years have gone by and other social media platforms have gained popularity (i.e. Facebook) if we're getting less participation due to that? I'm also wondering if the Newbies group has absorbed folks who might otherwise have participated here? Just a thought.
  30. Brian560
    Brian560
    One of the problems with the polls might also be that they don’t stand out. They get lost amongst everything else, especially for folks that visit the site on a mobile device
  31. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I don't know why the other members seem to lose interest in this group, but I'm sure there are plenty enough nice tunes left. The last months the genre has chanced it in some sort of Irish jig en reel group. Despite I love those tunes, there has to be some balance. The facebook mandolin-group is gaining members. I visit that group every day, but it's not the same as a song-a-week socialclub. other than that I don't think one tune a month is enough to keep me interested.
  32. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I'm one who lurks around a lot but rarely posts and I never submit a video any more, although I usually give most tunes a whirl here at home. When I'm in my mandolin mode SAW is my favorite place. I usually do not vote because I have no preference -- all the tunes are worthy and fun. Is there someone else who would be willing to assist Barbara in monitoring the suggestions and posting the poll, then announcing the winner and linking some samples.. perhaps taking turns with her?
  33. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Please don't read non-participation in the polls as a lack of interest in the group. Yes, this group has already covered an awful lot of tunes, so it's fair to say that the tunes in the polls are getting more obscure. This may discourage participation because the must-know pieces already have threads, and the less well-known tunes in the poll may not include a strong favourite. The only consequence of this is that the winner will be based on fewer votes.

But many of us really don't mind if others select tunes for us. More than once, the different styles that members bring to the song-a-week have got me interested in a tune that I wouldn't otherwise have noticed and certainly wouldn't have voted for. I check into this group every time I visit the Mandolin Cafe site, and this hasn't changed at all with the lower participation in the polls. I also don't get the impression that the threads aren't being used: I saw several nice new Christmas tunes here over the holidays, and the Duke of Leinster (which I consider to be an obscure tune) seems to be quite popular.

Also consider the backlog: I hope to post a video of the Horses' Brawl tomorrow. I suggested that tune way back when, it got voted in quite soon after, and I just haven't had enough time to practise let alone record it.
  34. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks for your input, all! I don't really need assistance in managing the group, or monitoring the suggestions and posting the poll. Yes, I do travel, and sometimes that affects exactly when I post the polls, and the winners. The problem with the genre of the tunes, is that I populate the poll from tunes that are suggested to me by the members. And we are down to mostly Irish tunes! I will gladly populate the poll with different genre tunes, but I need you all to step up and make suggestions! When we've discussed this before, there were people who thought that once a week was TOO often for the new tunes... and now, we've got people who think that once a month is too long between polls! I can go back to once every two weeks, a happy medium, and see how that works. What's the general opinion on that? I'm not aware of the facebook mandolin group.... I'd gladly join it (as I'm a big facebooker), but again, the more things one joins, the less time they have to devote to each thing! As far as making the polls stand out, as was suggested, I can only run this group within the parameters that the Mandolin Cafe program works. I do realize (from other sites) that trying to get around on some sites, when viewed on mobile devices, can sometimes be tricky. I'm getting ready to post this 'week's' poll (a day earlier than I had said, as, alas, I'll be road tripping tomorrow), and I see that I may have some new tune suggestions to add to the poll. I've made this request repeatedly, and I'll make it again... please, I need suggestions for tunes for the polls. All I ask is that you include the genre, and before suggesting tunes, please check through our 'official tunes' (there's a table of contents for that), to make sure they haven't already been an official tune.
  35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #490 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I'm going to try going with a bi-weekly poll, and see how that works for our members.

I plan to announce the winner of this poll on Friday, January 25. Please feel free to link to any videos of the tunes on the poll, in the discussion under the poll itself (not in this discussion, please!)

Again, I'm putting out a call for more tune suggestions! Our list has dwindled, and is now comprised of mostly Irish/Scottish genre tunes. I populate these polls from suggestions from our members. There is a discussion called Poll Tune Suggestions. Please take a moment to look over the list, and submit some suggestions for me to add to this list. Please also do a quick search of the Table of Contents ~ Official Tunes of the Week, to make sure they haven't been an official tune already. I appreciate your doing that much of the legwork, so I don't inadvertently (again) end up with a tune that's already been Official Tune of the Week, winning another time! I'm OK if they have already been covered as an "Other Tune". It has been suggested that you include a video or notation link, along with the name and genre of the tune.
  36. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    bump
  37. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I posted this comment over in the forum but posting here as well so folks can see it - I've decided to refrain from voting in the poll for the near future due to the fact that I always vote for ITM tunes as that's my preferred genre. Given Luurtie's comment that the SAW group has turned into I quote "some sort of Irish jig and reel group" I'll remove meself. I'm obviously not the only one who votes for ITM tunes but if the implication seems to be that the sway towards ITM selections has harmed group participation then maybe one less ITM fan here will sway things the other way.
  38. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I just wanted to say that I hoped there were more genre's to choose from. I love jigs and reels , but is not the genre I like to play on the mandoline. I didn't want to offend other players in other genre's, but there are so many nice tunes that are not ITM. Please stay in this group en let us hear more of your wonderful performances Jill!
  39. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'm sure that no offence was intended. To enable more tunes or songs outside of the Irish tradition, though, more suggestions and votes for other genres are needed. Woodwizard has just suggested a whole catalogue of old-time music. Perhaps you'd like to suggest some bluegrass?

I'm missing some of the old contributors, with lots of great musicians among them. If they'd like to come back for an American tune, too, let's by all means have a bluegrass or old-time week! I know that Barbara is always thinking about how best to run this group, so if that's how we can encourage more participation, I'm sure she'd like the idea.
  40. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I want to thank you all for all the tune suggestions. Jill, please don't stop participating! As long as enough people vote to feel like there's some activity going on, all is good! When I've queried the membership, due to low voting, I've determined that we have far more LURKERS (members who don't vote, rarely comment or post videos, however, are active members, in that they come here, and learn something.), which is the real purpose of this group! We do, however, need enough people to participate enough to learn, video and post. If we lose you, there's nothing really to provide the general membership! You already know that I haven't participated at that level regularly for years. So, you can't depend on me to try to turn this into ME teaching people how to play tunes! There are plenty of those sites out there already! It also gives our group a more personal feeling, when those members who are here, comment on discussions! And I know that I have been falling down on that part, too! I thank those regulars who are keeping this group alive!

I don't ever vote, unless it's for a tie-breaker. I would love for there to be wide variety of genre to choose from. However, I create these polls from tunes that are suggested by the membership. For those of you who play other than IT (which, coincidentally, is MY favored genre!), please help by sending me suggestions of other genre, and please, please, indicate the genre! That makes my part a bit easier! I did make this poll with 3 newly suggested tunes. I promise, if you guys who KNOW these tunes in these other genre, will send me them as poll tune suggestions (and if you can already link to a video to those tunes, it would be great, too!), I will make sure there is a mix of genre to choose from. However, I'm not going to take IT out of the polls. It's apparent that there are plenty of our members, whose preferred genre is IT, and genre closely related to IT. If I can populate the polls with a choice of 3 tunes of different genre, one being IT, and the majority of votes go to the IT tune, that's what it's going to be. I know it's good to get out of your comfort zone, and I enjoy the variety of genre of tunes that we've covered, both as official tunes and other tunes. When I had more time to devote to this group, and was learning these tunes and making videos, I did attempt tunes in genre that I don't play. However, looking at this from the perspective of a 'member', rather than the 'administrator', if my preferred genre were completely out of the mix, and it was always a genre I didn't enjoy, I don't know how long I would stay very involved.

So, I promise to populate the polls with a variety of genre, if I have them on my poll tune suggesting list. Hopefully, we have a membership with an interest in a variety of genre, and our official tunes will have variety once again!
  41. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #491 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I'm going to try going with a bi-weekly poll, and see how that works for our members.

I plan to announce the winner of this poll on Friday, February 8. Please feel free to link to any videos of the tunes on the poll, in the discussion under the poll itself (not in this discussion, please!)

Again, I'm putting out a call for more tune suggestions! Our list has dwindled, and is now comprised of mostly Irish/Scottish genre tunes. I populate these polls from suggestions from our members. There is a discussion called Poll Tune Suggestions. Please take a moment to look over the list, and submit some suggestions for me to add to this list. Please also do a quick search of the Table of Contents ~ Official Tunes of the Week, to make sure they haven't been an official tune already. I appreciate your doing that much of the legwork, so I don't inadvertently (again) end up with a tune that's already been Official Tune of the Week, winning another time! I'm OK if they have already been covered as an "Other Tune". It has been suggested that you include a video or notation link, along with the name and genre of the tune.

Update: Thanks to those who recently suggested a nice array of tunes for me to put on the Poll Tune Suggestion list. We still have almost NO bluegrass, so if that is what some of you would like to see on the poll, I need some of you familiar with Bluegrass tunes, to send me some suggestions. Same with any other genre. We mostly have IT (English, Scottish, Irish, etc), and Old Time, and Fiddle Tunes (contra dance, etc). I know there are many other genre out there! And, original tunes! If we have any composers out there, this would be a GREAT place to suggest your tune, and hopefully be able to provide the notation, TAB, and/or a video!
  42. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #492 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I plan to announce the winner of this poll on Friday, February 22. Please feel free to link to any videos of the tunes on the poll, in the discussion under the poll itself (not in this discussion, please!)

Update: Thanks to those who recently suggested a nice array of tunes for me to put on the Poll Tune Suggestion list. We still have almost NO bluegrass, so if that is what some of you would like to see on the poll, I need some of you familiar with Bluegrass tunes, to send me some suggestions. Same with any other genre. We mostly have IT (English, Scottish, Irish, etc), and Old Time, and Fiddle Tunes (contra dance, etc). I know there are many other genre out there! And, original tunes! If we have any composers out there, this would be a GREAT place to suggest your tune, and hopefully be able to provide the notation, TAB, and/or a video!
  43. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #493 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I plan to announce the winner of this poll on Friday, March 8. Please feel free to link to any videos of the tunes on the poll, in the discussion under the poll itself (not in this discussion, please!)

44. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #494 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

I plan to announce the winner of this poll on Friday, March 22. However, I am going to be on the road, then, so I may be a little late in posting the winner. Please feel free to link to any videos of the tunes on the poll, in the discussion under the poll itself (not in this discussion, please!)

45. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #495 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects".

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...02#post1707102

We are currently having our polls biweekly.

I plan to announce the winner of this poll on Friday, April 5. However, I am on the road, so I may be a little late in posting the winner. Please feel free to link to any videos of the tunes on the poll, in the discussion under the poll itself (not in this discussion, please!). I have been trying to link to videos in the poll discussion, but, I am on the road posting from my phone, so I’d appreciate someone doing it for me!
  46. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Barbara, I can't get this link to work.
    Robert
  47. Brian560
    Brian560
  48. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    That worked. Thanks Brian.
  49. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Sorry about that link! I got it fixed!
  50. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to week #496 poll, which is posted in the regular forum under "Song and Tune Projects.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Group-Week-496

We are currently having our polls biweekly.

I plan to announce the winner of this poll on Friday, April 19. I am still on the road, But I will be back by then! Please feel free to link to any videos of the tunes on the poll, in the discussion under the poll itself (not in this discussion, please!). I have been trying to link to videos in the poll discussion, but, I am on the road posting from my phone, so I’d appreciate someone doing it for me!