Cool New Social Group

1. mandozilla
    mandozilla
    Good idea Mike! I'd sure love to be able to go...have you been and what's it like?
  2. Mike Bunting
    I went last year and am booked to go this year. It was a great experience, I met a lot of talented people and learned a ton of stuff that I'm still working on. I think one learns a lot by osmosis, just being around those folks and seeing how they approach music in general.
  3. Mike Bunting
    Hey, I see some familiar faces joining up!
  4. banjoboy
    banjoboy
    Good Morning,

I am really looking forward to the camp. I'm still relatively new to mandolin, but not bluegrass. I am a recovering banjo player. I went to a banjo camp last year. It was nice, but I was disappointed with the instruction. Mostly what would happen, the instructor(s) would talk quite a bit, but not necessarily in an instructional sense. It didn't help me in the least as an instructional camp. But I did learn about the "good ol days". Is this camp different? I realize that it may be difficult to teach large groups as players are at different levels, even when groups are separated as beginners, intermediate, and advanced. Just some thoughts and questions. Since I'm a beginner, I know I will get more out of this camp as everything is still new to me.
  5. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    I'll be there for the faculty concert and jam afterwards only. Just not quite able to keep up with the classes, but I'm shooting for next year. I'll bring my Jade and be happy to pass it around. Looking forward to seeing the friends I made last year, and making new ones!
  6. Mike Bunting
    Banjoboy, some of the classes are lectures as they deal with history etc but others can be very hands on, for example, Butch Waller will lead you through a Monroe tune phrase by phrase. I don't know if the schedule is on the website yet, but you can choose any class you wish no matter your level. All the instructors are very approachable so you could quiz them regarding their methods etc. and make your choices from there.
    Tracy T, looking forward to checking out your Jade, I've never seen one.
  7. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Got tickets reserved for the concert, and reservations made at the Holiday Inn Express... I need all the help I can get! lol

Mike, you'll have to post a picture so I'll know who you are!
  8. banjoboy
    banjoboy
    Are we supposed to get our tickets now? I thought that we'd have first "dibs" on them when we got down there.
  9. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    I'm ONLY going to the faculty concert so had to buy tickets; they're included for Campers.
  10. Fred Keller
    Fred Keller
    Finally got all signed up--should be fun! I've never been to KY before so that's another big plus. I'm looking forward to picking with you folks.
  11. banjoboy
    banjoboy
    So what about the logistics of this thing.
    Where are they putting camp attendees? Hotel?
    Where is the nearest airport?
    Will there be shuttles to/from airport?
    How far is the camp from Nashville?

Stuff like that. I'm gonna need, at some point, to make airline reservations. Also, my wife and I are going to go to Nashville during the week prior to the camp, and I want to get my schedule put together of stuff I want to do and see.
  12. Mike Bunting
    Your questions can be answered here:
    http://www.bluegrass-museum.org/Mand...nroe_Camp.html
  13. John Gardinsky
    John Gardinsky
    Hey Tracy you need to go for the whole thing, it is good for all levels. I remember the first year there was a guy who had only been playing for about two months, he was nervous as could be. He soon realized everyone was there to help and pretty soon he was sitting on the outside of the jams chording along with a great big smile on his face. John
  14. Mike Bunting
    Banjoboy, I noticed that one of your questions wasn't answered on the site, specifically, airport shuffles. They don't provide them from Nashville or Louisville but will help organize some carpooling. Give them a call.
  15. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Hi John! Hubby wasn't too keen on letting me go considering most of it is going to be over my head. I'm shooting for next year though!
  16. JimRichter
    JimRichter
    Planning on going again this year (mainly to socialize!) if space available.

Plus, Tim O'Brien's been one of my heroes for a long time so that is obviously an impetus.
  17. Mike Bunting
    I look forward to meeting up with you again Jim. (Is King Tut any relation to King Tater?!).