Dormendo un giorno (Italian renaissance song)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a trio arrangement of an early 16th century madrigal for one treble and two tenor instruments, from the SCA music web site of Steven Hendricks at:

http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/

Steven attributes the tune to Jacques Arcadelt (1507-68). Philippe Verdelot also wrote a madrigal of the same name, but I think it's a different tune. Verdelot and Arcadelt were both among the principal composers of the early Italian madrigal.

Played as a trio of mandolin, octave mandolin and tenor guitar.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/tYmOwsOI3rA

Martin
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    What a lovely melody! And you really make the arrangement work here.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice renaissance sound!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Pleasant listening, Martin. Good sync between your instruments on this one.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Dennis, Frithjof and John. I've loved this tune since I first recorded it ten years ago (link). That previous version has a different tonality (two tenor guitars and "Baroq-ulele") and somewhat slower tempo. As usual for early music, there are quite different interpretations out there, both faster and slower than mine.

Martin
  6. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    This is really lovely, Martin. As John says, the instruments combine very well. This period is such a rich source of music - this one was unknown to me.
  7. Mandolin Deep Cuts
    Mandolin Deep Cuts
    Delightful. I’m always impressed with how fast you can switch scale lengths, like it’s nothing!
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    You bring out the polyphonic arrangement very well, Martin.
  9. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I feel like prancing, or whatever it is they called dancing back then.
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Richard, MDC, Christian and Frank.

Richard: I don't think it's a particularly well-known tune, but I really like it. It suits plucked instruments, I think -- the vocal and wind versions I found online don't do it for me.

MDC: For some reason, I've always found switching scale length pretty easy. Alternate tunings or transposing on the hoof, on the other hand, are tricky!

Christian: One thing I like about this setting is that the harmonies are so rich despite there being only three parts rather than the four/five for most renaissance madrigals. I think this is original: Arcadelt published a book of madrigals for three voices.

Martin