The silvery Voe

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Participating in SAW educates: I didn't know what a voe is, but Shetland fidddler Tom Anderson's tune made me look it up and now I know, that it's a cove in Shetland.
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a beautiful rendition of this lovely tune, Christian. Your melody and backing are so well mixed here and the photos are just right for the tune.
    Lots of Shetland tunes with Voe in the title - Scalloway Voe and Ronas Voe are two of my favourites and worth a look if you have not tried them yet. Those tunes translate so well from fiddle to mandolin.
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Sounds beautiful, like a concert hall!
  4. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Lovely Christian! Now I know what a Voe is, thanks.
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful Shetland music, Christian.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Having very recently got Tummelside from Christian's posting, I am now posting another tune he has introduced to us, The Silvery Voe. I have put it in a set with The Shingly Beach, another Dr Tom Anderson Shetland composition. He was a master at creating beautiful tunes, and especially slow airs.

My version is on mandolin and I used my Telecaster guitar this time instead of my usual acoustic and recorded the backing on two guitar tracks, one capoed at 7th fret. The guitars were panned about 40% to left and right and the guitar was plugged straight into my DAW, not through an amp.

The pictures were taken this afternoon very near my home on the Firth of Clyde in a spell of fine weather.

Thanks again Christian for giving me the heads-up for those tunes.

7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds great John, the Telly does a good job playing chords to your wonderful mandolin melodies.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great set, John. The guitars let the mandolin shine with these lovely melodies.
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    The mandolins sure did shine on these two John. It's a good accompaniment that lets that play through, well done !!!
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks Christian, Frithjof and Ginny. Looking forward to your next Scottish offering to inspire me, Christian.
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    These two make a good set, and you wisely let the music do its magic without getting in the way with too much fancy stuff, like a professional wizard does.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Bertram. You are right -sometimes less is more!