The Road to Tunbridge

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thought I’d got this from Paul Hardy but no, it’s from a dude in Devon.

https://youtu.be/ztXdof_PvBc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8v5vunjdtp...ridge.pdf?dl=0

X:1
    T: The Road to Tunbridge
    S: Bernie Waugh
    R: Reel
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: E Phrygian
    |:\
    "Em"EEE2 B3A|B2G2 G2 B2|"Am"AAA2 e3 d|e2A2 "G"A2B2|
    "C"c3d e2g2|"D"dcBA B2G2|"Am"AAA2 "B"B3A|"Em"G2E2 E2 B2:|
    |:\
    "G"GGG2 g3^f|g2d2 d2f2|"Am"eee2 a3g|"Em"a2e2 e2g2|
    "C"g2a2 e2f2|"D"dcBA B2G2|1\
    "Am"AAA2 "B"B3A|"Em"G2E2 E4:|2\
    "F"AAA2 "B"B3A|"C"G2E2 E4|]
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice! I like the atmosphere of your recording together with the folks going away from the photographer/viewer.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Simon and a fine set of pictures. This tune is very similar to the old Scottish air "Green Grow The Rashes (Rushes) Oh" immortalised by our National Bard Robert Burns around 1780 and still sung regularly here in Scotland.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof and John it’s my first recording in my new music studio. It’s the bathroom with lots of laundry hanging all over the place.
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    So you played with wet tuning?
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The bathroom seems to inspire you, Simon!
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's such a great tune, and well played too! I'd never heard this before, but here I am pretending to play the drums to it on the side of the sofa! I used to live in Tonbridge in Kent, so I wonder which Tunbridge is meant in the title.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    It has a certain mood of leaving, and those pics support that.
    Thanks to John for saying out loud what song this so urgently reminds me of, otherwise it would have haunted me all day
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nothing worse than an earworm you cannot get out of your head, Bertram. It would be interesting to trace the link between Green Grow The Rashes and the tune Simon plays here. Burns preserved so many of our Scottish tunes by adding lyrics to them (as well as being quite an accomplished fiddler too!)
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Christian it's true the humidity in the bathroom improves the motivation to record. Get it over and done with.
    I wondered about the spelling too Dennis, I had a girlfriend once who left and went to Kent. I often wrote to her in TOnbridge-Wells.
    Funny too, that I've only just thought of her and realised why I recorded this tune. Yes, haunted is the word!

Anything South of the Border is an earworm John! The tunes are uppity and short and sweet with inumerable variations and repeated over and over again. But tunes like this do provide for a great deal of impro, variation, so...
    Oh that song, Green grow the rushes oh! I really like the melody but there is a great variation in lyrics… some of the lyrics are quite morbid.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Just listened to it again, you may be right John, 2 minutes is probably plenty.