Welcome RAG playa!

1. icedoghans
    icedoghans
    Just formed this social group to bring players of the excellent RAG mandolins together. My name is "Rog", so obviously I had to acquire one. I now own #20, and I purchased it from a fellow named "Mark" here in Idaho. He loves em too... but he is getting an Octave Mandolin made by Roy A Gordon SR.... our Luthier. Living in Idaho, I am a "primitive" player of sorts, so I count myself lucky to own a RAG. Hope to hear from all you affectionados in the future... until then... enjoy.

...Rog
  2. General Johnston
    General Johnston
    Hey Rog, I have had my RAG for about a year. I have trouble finding threads that extoll the brand.
    I sure enjoy the dry tone and I need to lower the action a little to get where I like it. I love American made brands. I have a June, a Morris, and a RAG. Maybe more will join this group!
  3. icedoghans
    icedoghans
    Yes, I am hopeful as well.

I have a friend here in Boise area who has an RL Givens made mandolin (they were friends)... I am going to have him try my RAG out... for comparisons sake. When I get a chance this summer I plan to have Lawrence Smart play it as well. I usually see him about once a year in the Sun Valley area of Idaho.

My action is 1.5-2mm across the 12th fret.. feels just a little lower than my Breedlove.

Mine is number 20... which one is yours...?

I acquired from a fellow that wants to get a custom RAG octave mandolin now... because of his style of play...
  4. General Johnston
    General Johnston
    I have # 53, from January of 2020. Action is a little higher than yours! This is my first f style. The finish is not perfect, but that is what makes it special to me.
  5. icedoghans
    icedoghans
    Yes mine has a unique look too with, bone or ivoroid on the florentine points... Lots of bark on this one and load.... Mine was used professionally at one time and I am the third owner.
    ...Rog
  6. brobmarketing
    brobmarketing
    Greetings!

I have a confession to make - I joined this group because A) I'm a total newbie to the mando world who is seeking to know more and B) I enjoy ragtime music when played on a mandolin.

Then I realized that this group is not necessarily about Ragtime music, rather RAG mandos. So, feel free to kick me out or educate me - your call.
  7. General Johnston
    General Johnston
    brob, Can I call you brob? I tried to learn Black and White Rag on mando after I heard Tim Obrien play it and it was so fun. I also do cotton patch rag. On my RAG mandolin.
  8. brobmarketing
    brobmarketing
    @General Johnston - Now I'll have to check out Tim Obrien and Black and White Rag on a mando.

Oh, and you are definitely welcome to call me brob.... just do not call me late for dinner. :P
  9. Kentucky200
    Kentucky200
    I just purchased #86 took delivery this past Wednesday, can’t seem to put it down, love the looks and the sound is amazing. I want my mandolin teacher to give it a try see plays one built by Lee Chapman.