Week #554 ~ Mazurka Schloss Freiberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I am SO sorry I'm so late in posting the winner of this poll! I'm sure many of you wondered if I'd fallen off the face of the earth! I'll try to do better!

This week's winner is Mazurka Schloss Freiberg.

I'm not finding a lot about this tune, so if you have any links besides the ones I've found, please add them!

Here's some notation.

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Transcription of first vid (which is a bit different from Simon Wascher’s transcription), enjoy!

X:1
    T:Mazurka Schloss Freiberg
    L: 1/8
    M:3/4
    K:Gm
    V:1
    |:dBG3B|A^F D4|G^F GA BA|^F4 Ac|dB G3B| A^F D4|GA BA ^FA|G6:|
    |:de d2cA|c2B3G|B2A3^F|AG G^F G2|ded2cA|c2B3G|BA A^F D^F|1G^F GA Bc:|2G2G4|
    V:2
    |:z6|z6|z6|z6 |z6|z6|z6|z6:|
    |:fg f2ec|e2d3B|d2c3A|cB BA B2|fgf2ec|e2d3B|dc cA ^FA|1BA Bc de:|2B2B4|

OR in E minor

K:Em
    V:1
    |:BGE3G|F^D B,4|E^D EF GF|^D4 FA|BG E3G| F^D B,4|EF GF ^DF|E6:|
    |:Bc B2AF|A2G3E|G2F3^D|FE E^D E2|BcB2AF|A2G3E|GF F^D B,^D|1E^D EF GA:|2E2E4|
    V:2
    |:z6|z6|z6|z6 |z6|z6|z6|z6:|
    |:de d2cA|c2B3G|B2A3F|AG GF G2|ded2cA|c2B3G|BA AF ^DF|1GF GA Bc:|2G2G4|

[EDIT: Thanks John. I changed the keys from major to their relative minors, note that this is a transcription of the first vid above, the other version in Cm is much easier on the fingers]
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Simon, for this ABC!!!

The “Notenschleuder” produce a wrong score because the not heightened the f to f sharp. Thus, I couldn’t play along with the vid. G minor with sharpened f is the solution of the riddle and matches a mazurka very well.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I wrote this for you Frithjof! XX
    And this smiley is for our lurkers!
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    All helpful stuff. The link posted by Barbara does indeed seem to miss a few accidentals. Here is the "official" version, posted on the composer's own website (Simon Wascher):

C:Simon Wascher
    F:http://simonwascher.info/
    Z:abc transcription Simon Wascher
    L:1/8
    K:C minor
    "inegal"gec3e | d=BG4 | c=Bcded | =B4df |
    gec3e | d=BG4 | cded=Bd | c6 :|
    gag2fd | f2e3c | e2d3=B | dcc=Bc2 |
    gag2fd | f2e3c | edd=BGB | c2c4 :|
    %%wordsfont Times-Italic 11pt
    W:aus Simon Waschers TradArchiv

Or as PNG:

No chords. Any suggestions?

Martin
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Looks like key of C minor, Martin - three flats and ending on a C note, so relative minor of Eb? Thanks for posting this version of the notation.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John. Yes, but all B flats are raised to B natural.

Martin
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I just noticed that the abcs posted by Simon DS have the keys marked as Major, and that Simon the composer has marked his abc as being in C minor! I had not looked at any of the abc versions when I replied to your query, Martin, only the standard notation you posted, but I still reckon that C minor would be the key, the raised Bb notes being accidentals(?) Someone will come in with a modal solution now, or actual chords.
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I think the "K:C minor" notation is just to mark in the ABC notation that it's three flats, it doesn't necessarily mean that the tune is in C minor although in this case it does feel more like a minor tune than major. The raised Bb will affect chord progression, I am not sure in what way. I presume the annotation "inegal" means "with swing".

Martin
  10. John W.
    John W.

I’ve started us off with a short, stripped back version…played in a key and with a feel as I felt suitable. My first mazurka….with my understanding based simply on the video links and music suggestions/comments posted here (plus a listen of this version https://youtu.be/hHpXWydHlvY ).

Tom Buchanan Tenor Mandola

I’m looking forward to what others come up with for this one…
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very nice John W! I like the tone of your octave too and the rhythm.
    I would say that what you’ve played is actually standard for SAW, that is A+B parts twice through. There are beginners here who occasionally post just the A part of a tune, or they play the tune just once through, which is fine and very welcomed.

And thanks John K, I changed the signature, yes it does sound minor, but I usually just write the major key -I think modally, I can’t help it!
    Sometimes people will say a tune is in Am when they mean A dorian, or even Bm when it’s B lydian. In this case I often just say G major and then at least most people will know that the notes to use are from G major- though it isn’t technically correct to do this. (Thanks )

Chords and technically incorrectly written rhythm but sounds almost right on midi:
    T:Mazurka Schloss Freiberg (G minor 9/8)
    M:9/8
    K:Bb
    |:"Gm"d2B (G3 G2)B|"D7"A2^F D6|"Eb"G2^F G2A B2A|"D7"(^F3^F3)A2c|"Gm"d2B (G3G2)B| "D7"A2^F D6|"Eb"G2A B2A"F" ^F2A|"Gm"G9:|
    |:"Bb"d2ed3c2A|"F"c3"Bb"(B3B2)G|"D7"B3(A3A2)^F|"Eb "A2G G2^F G3|"Bb"d2e d3 c2A|"F"c3"Bb"(B3B2)G|"D7"B2A A2^F D2^F|"Gm"1G2^F G2A B2c:|"Gm"2G3G6|
  12. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you, Simon….(I know you mean the Tenor…). As regards the length, the only 2 versions I’d listened to were probably twice as long…and it was for that reason that I referred to my version as being ‘short’.
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, John! I like the fluent playing and the warm tone of the mandola.

Here is my own recording, transposed to B minor from the C minor version I got from the composer's site, plus the (transposed) chord progression posted by (our) Simon, with the F chord changed to F#. I've also added a simple mandocello line.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/PGG06UvauzY

Martin
  14. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done John and Martin, I really love the sound of your mandocello. Here's my version in Gm based on the 1st video above. I copied the guitar player's chords as best as I could and have added them to the dots on this pdf:

https://app.box.com/s/3sk6334mj1dkefkjua69bu0l0u12j6ot

I love Gm and if I had to have a favourite key it would be Gm. Gm with accidentals is like icing on the cake so I love this tune. Mucho gracias to our Simon!!!

15. John W.
    John W.
    Martin, I’m not able to listen to your version as yet…I can’t view any videos in this thread.

David, I watched/listened to yours on YT - Great job from the DH Quartet…the key, combination of instruments and style of playing make the overall result very suited to this tune.
  16. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    David -- great version. I love the explosive swing you're giving it and as always the concertina coming in lifts it another level. Learning the concertina is on my list, but probably will have to wait until I retire. My father started learning English concertina in his 70s, so I still have some time.

John W -- I have to start adding the URL along with the video, the way Simon does. I've edited my post above to add the link.

Martin
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Excellent versions, John W and Martin. David, a superb version as always. You really give this tune a great lift and the mando and concertina go so well together.
    Thanks too for the notation with suggested chords.
  18. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks for the URL Martin…another enjoyable version. I thought I was already subscribed to your YT channel, so should have received notification when you published on YT.
    ..but I didn’t… However, I have now subscribed (if I wasn’t already) and subscribed again if I was!
  19. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Already three fine versions of this nice mazurka since the last time I visited SAW. You are great. guys! And thanks David for the chords.
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Two more lovely versions, yes I have to get a mandocello Martin, sounds great, and a very French sounding Mazurka there David, thanks for the very attractive notation with chords.
  21. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    John W. – very nice solo version. Your Tom Buchanan Tenor Mandola sounds great. I like the little vibrato you deliver on some places.

Martin – good idea to add this mandocello line.

David – Great playing in all aspects. The concertina adds something special to the sound. And I like the strumming pattern you have chosen for the guitar accompaniment.
    Thanks for the PDF.
  22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Here is my attempt in G minor. I used David Hansen's pdf with slightly modified chords in the B part, and just played the melody on mandolin with guitar backing.

The pictures were all taken in the last week, the ones showing the vista of the Firth of Clyde being taken just yesterday.

JOhn W and others with access problems - here is the url

https://youtu.be/BA5cojfIruo

23. John W.
    John W.
    I’ve just watched the vid on YT, John. Very accomplished version, which I enjoyed.
  24. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done Mr. Kelly, crisp playing and lovely pics to boot!!!
  25. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Wonderful playing Mr Kelly. Love it!
    I don’t know how you guys do it, David with a French Mazurka, John K with a Scottish sounding one!

[viewing your YouTube channel]
  26. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Really nice, John! I think that sounds quite French, actually. Comparing the versions, I think that the distinct snap in your recording is from sustaining the dotted notes without tremolo, which creates a nice hesitation effect. On mine, I have filled that gap with a sustained tremolo which gives a fuller sound but less musical tension.

Martin
  27. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Lovely playing, John K. Sounds quite danceable (not that I would do such dangerous moves ).
  28. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Many thanks, all. It was one of those tunes that when I heard it I wanted to play it. Playing in G minor rather than C minor suited the guitar better, I felt.

I have taken John W's suggestion and added the URL below the video. The access problem can be a real bind when software updates do not recognise existing protocols.
  29. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Great renditions, each with their own special touch. John W., I love the effect of the overtones coming from your tenor and verrry well played. Martin your version sparked a memory of hearing this tune before. Very well played and your recordings always seem to have that old fashion style, in a good way! David your version is so completely pro sounding, as though you pulled it of an LP. Anyone ever tell you, that you would make a fine Santa? John your offering is immediately recognizable as YOU, so much so that my wife even know's when it's you. Beautifully played with a light touch and just enough guitar.
  30. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I see this tune has caught the eye of many - so beautifully done by all ! and so nice to listen to something, (at least for me)a bit different - but the first thing that caught me eye was that John's photos were taken mere days ago. My husband is currently snow-blowing about 2 1/2 feet of overnight snow from the driveway and walkways - and the head of my 'light-up' Santa Claus has gone missing and may not be seen until spring !
  31. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    …..
  32. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great recording, John. My first thought was "Django".
  33. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you Frithjof and Frank…glad you enjoyed the sound produced from the TM.
  34. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Christian - if indeed you are commenting on my version rather than John W's. I think you commented on his earlier in the thread, but I am sure both of us say thanks to you.
  35. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Fine versions by all. I especially enjoyed David Hanson's rocking version--somewhere Pink Floyd members are wearing David Hanson T shirts. I enjoyed John Kelly's version too. So nicely played. John W, welcome to the group and a fine video. Martin, great playing but your audio tracks seem a bit out of sync when I listen. Maybe that's a tech problem here? A great tune!
  36. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ouch!
    SAW guidelines.
  37. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Don and Frank.

Don: anything that's out of sync is more likely my playing rather than tech issues -- my current setup is that I first record the tune as a solo track as you see on the video, then overdub a rhythm track and any additional backing tracks to the original video soundtrack. That sounds (to my ears) generally more musical than either recording to a click track or recording a backing track first. However, for dance tunes like this one any small timing issues in the solo playing tend to be more apparent than for less strict tempo tunes. In this instance, I don't hear anything particularly wrong but I have had similar problems pointed out to me in comments on other recordings so it may be the case that others' ears are more attuned to this than I am.

Edit: Listening back to my recording, I am now wondering if you were referring to the fact that I put a strong stress on the second beat in my backing track, to emphasise the mazurka rhythm? If so, that's deliberate.

Martin
  38. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    What a wonderful high standard of examples we have had this "week". I took a slightly different approach with some new chords, and tried some mandolin harmonies the second time through.

Mandolins: Silver Angel
    Guitar: Telecaster
    Videogame: Adopt Me / Roblox
  39. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great version, David, with your usual very easy and relaxed playing style; I love how well the animated figures seemed to sync with your playing. A mazurka on ice! Is the video material more from the Minecraft world or is it from the game you mention below your video? All an alien world to me, but looks like a lot of fun.
  40. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Excellent David, I love the harmonies and the tele backing!!!
  41. John W.
    John W.
    Great job, David.

Don - thanks for the welcome and supportive comment.
  42. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    A Mazurka on ice- good one John. I enjoyed all of them - they each sound different but captivating. From winter photos that look like spring to animated lego people - David being Santa aka: Men in Black - the Santa version. ( North Americans are more likely to 'get' that reference. )
  43. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Excellent version indeed, David. You let your Silver Angel sing beautifully. Matching harmony part, too.
  44. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Incredible dexterity David, you’re skating in time with the smooth easy (fine) playing.
  45. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Now look what y'all have done, you've made me actually like a minor-key tune (that almost never happens), with these lively and upbeat versions. Very nice!

David Hansen's version sounds almost middle-Eastern to me, I can't pinpoint quite why though, maybe the rhythm or the chords/scales? Also good to be able to see all the instruments.

- Jess
  46. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great playing David. I'd be more impressed if the skater ate all those gingerbread men, but then he wouldn't be able to keep up with the tune.
  47. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This is such a wonderful and inspiring melody! I'm pleased that it was selected for song-a-week, and late enough for me to practise! If I understand correctly, Bilwesz is one of the musical projects of the composer, Simon Wascher, who plays the hurdy-gurdy. The performance by Kullens Fyr in the other example video is great, too. The variations and accompaniment bring the best out of the tune.

The contributions from group members are of an excellent standard as well. John W's tenor mandola suits the tune perfectly, and your clean and accurate playing conjures up images of late medieval history. Martin's version is completely different in style, with the bowl-back and tremolo suggesting a more modern setting. You have clearly made the intersection between folk and classical music your home. David Hansen is someone I really wanted to post a version of this because I thought it would be a great stylistic match. The arrangement, playing and sound quality are stellar as usual, and it turns out that G minor is one of your favourite keys as well! John Kelly is also on top form - you have produced a fine listening experience in your recognisable style, with many half-hidden gems like those lovely triplet runs. And David Mold (Old Sausage) is a somewhat unexpected but very exciting addition to this thread, with the new chords and delivery suiting the wintertime mood of the video. It's always great to see and hear your wonderful performances.

Here's my video, with some ideas taken from the videos above. I was especially grateful for David H's transcription of the chords, because I'm useless at working out chords ... let alone in G minor.

48. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice - I especially like the drop, and all the accompanying parts are great and mixed well. Really good timing too. Fine work!
  49. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really well played Dennis and I like the C part too. And nice musical analysis!
  50. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Wow Gelsen, really beautiful, everything works here: the mix, the tone of the instrument, the interpretation ... a pleasure to hear it!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast