F style or A style?

1. joey6592
    joey6592
    I currently have an A-style mandolin and I don't know the difference in an A or F style. I know the F's are used more for bluegrass but that's all =\. And which one do you all prefer?
  2. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    The A-style you have in the pic has "F" holes, which gives a different tone than mandolins with an Oval hole. The Oval hole sound is more of a "oldtime" tone, often referred to as a little "tubby" sounding. The F hole sound is more for Bluegrass, has more projection. Whether you use an A or F style body is just a preference. The F style body has the scroll and points, the A style body is a teardrop shape. (like yours) The F style is said to have a bigger sound than the A, probably because of the extra wood, but their are plenty of great A styles with F holes that are used in bluegrass and other types of music. There are lots of threads on this subject on the cafe.
  3. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Just wanted to add- there are "F" style body shapes which have oval holes, as well as F holes. The F stands for Florentine. If you look at my avatar- that's an oval hole with "A" body shape. Hope this helps.
  4. joey6592
    joey6592
    Thank you very much . it's helpful. I was just wondering cause I see david grisman with an F-style ussually and I've never played on an F before so I didn't know the sound =(. hehe but again thank you.