Questions?

1. Mike Black
    Mike Black
    Anyone have any questions about the Summit Mandolins? I may be able to answer some of them since I worked with Paul for awhile building the Summits when he first decided to build full time in 1994.

Just trying to get some activity going here.
  2. Bill Moore
    Bill Moore
    Hey Mike,

I just joined the Summit Mandolin group and saw your kind offer? I have an A-200-S I purchased new from Osprey Guitars in Ft. Collins, CO, in June of 1997. Its a great mandolin. It is Serial Number #112, (3/97). I'm curious to know what kind of top wood it has? I'm guessing engleman or red-spruce. Also wondering if the wood used in this mandolin came from the Mike Kimnitzer's stash that Paul purchased from OME. I also believe this one was built when Paul was still in Mulvane, KS.

Thanks in advance, for any information you can provide!
    Bill
  3. Mike Black
    Mike Black
    Hello Bill, I'd almost have to see it first. But most likely if it was from 97 it would have been from the old stash from OME, but it could be about the end too. As for the top, I'm not sure what species it would have been. Mine acts like it's red, since it tends to sleep if not played a lot, and when it's been played a lot it's got a lot of power without breaking up.
  4. Bill Moore
    Bill Moore
    Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get some pictures of my Summit posted so you can have a look.

I'm curious if you know how much time Paul spent working with Mike at OME while getting the mandolin tooling up and going? Would I be correct in assuming that a lot Paul's mandolin building knowledge came from his time working with Mike Kimnitzer? If that were true, Summits might be considered a poor man's Nugget ... :-)

Bill
  5. Bill Moore
    Bill Moore
    Mike,

I added some photo's of my Summit A-200-S to the gallery on my home page. Take a look when you get a chance and let me know what you think? I also have a good friend who has a Summit F-200-S that I really like. Its S/N #72 (9/95). Sounds amazingly like my A.

Bill
  6. Mike Black
    Mike Black
    From the looks of the back, it does look like the old wood. A lot of that old wood had light figuring like yours has. I couldn't tell you about the top, but I'm pretty sure that the back and sides are from the old OME woods.
  7. Bill Moore
    Bill Moore
    Thanks Mike! I appreciate you taking the time to look.
  8. Mike Black
    Mike Black
    No problem.
  9. Mike Black
    Mike Black
    You should also post those pictures here.
  10. David
    David
    I have an F100, don't know the serial number off the top of my head and I don't have my mando at work with me, but it was made in June of '06.

Here's my question, every Summit I've ever seen or played is x-braced. Does Paul use x-bracing exclusively, or are there tone bar Summits out there?
  11. Mike Black
    Mike Black
    Yes, they all originally were tone-bar braced. I don't believe he started using x-brace until around 2000, maybe a little sooner.
  12. Sid Simpson
    Sid Simpson
    Mike,

Not much activity on this thread, but I know you are still active. I was fortunate enough to acquire #154, an A100C from 1999. It is a beautiful instrument with a lovely deep cherry burst. Plays easily and has a sweet tone with some bite if you dig in with the pick a little bit. I am very happy, but would like to know a bit more about the wood used It was listed as having a spruce top. Do you have any idea about the kind of spruce? I know it was a bit after your time with Paul, but you may know what he was using at the time.

Thanks.
  13. Brad Maestas
    Brad Maestas
    I wanted to chime in as well, Mike, and ask a spec question about my tone-braced Artist from 1999 (#132). I was wondering if you knew what the fingerboard radius is on the Artists. I am considering trying out a full-contact bridge on it and obviously want to match the radius. I'm sure my luthier will be able to determine it but I wanted to ask here first before I bring it in. Thanks!