Returning to in-person classes

1. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    I haven't played mandolin with people in a class since March of last year. At that time I was in a beginning bluegrass ensemble course at my local roots music school. I was also beginning to go to the Wednesday night bluegrass jam there and starting to feel really comfortable playing with others.

Anyway, I've spent the pandemic playing solo. I've taken some online lessons, including the Sharon Gilchrist beginning bluegrass mandolin class at peghead nation. I'm 100% sure that I am a better player now than I was before, but I crave both the skills and the fun of playing with others.

I'm excited to say that I registered for a four week class in June playing the music of The Band in an ensemble setting. It's going to be outside in a courtyard with an option to move inside for weather. I'm very excited about this.

Just sharing for my own excitement, but happy to hear about other people returning to in person playing or classes, too!
  2. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    That sounds like a great class!

All through the pandemic I have been playing trios with a couple friends, usually meeting every two weeks. Masks and 6+ feet apart for most of the time, in a house with high ceilings where the kitchen, dining area, and living room all flow together. None of the three of us were getting out much, so we felt that the risk was low and the mental health benefits worth it. The last couple of times we've been able to ditch the masks as all of us are fully vaccinated.
  3. NDO
    NDO
    Way to go SM! I love playing with others. I do vocals and harp with The Weight and just memorized the chords recently so I can play the mando with our version of the band. Your class sounds like a blast.