Durham Rangers

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Had a go at tremolo on one of the verses... and then edited it out!

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That's a great tune, Simon. I don't think the tremolo has added anything; I feel it creates a bit of confusion when it comes in against the main melody. The tune is already going along at a good pace. Your playing of the tune is well paced and has a lot of drive.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John I might just remove it. It actually may not be lined up properly with the other tracks, and I also used relative minor double stops which clash a bit.
    Yes, driving would be nice but I haven’t had a car for twenty odd years so my insurance would be back to teenager rates!
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ok it’s different, it’s better.
    Much better.
    More like a rant.
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is really good, Simon. Nice steady rhythm and a decent melody.
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I'm always impressed at how relaxed you handle your octave mandolin, great playing of a nice tune!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny and Christian.

Thanks also for the comment about being relaxed I appreciate it.
    About forty five years before I picked up the mandolin we had a music teacher who asked the whole class, ‘where is the first C in this tune?’
    Someone put their hand up, and said it's the seventh note. The teacher then said, ‘so when I play this tune, and I arrive at the C note, am I going to be surprised to be suddenly confronted with a C note?’
    We all thought about it for awhile, and he said, ‘like many things in life, every note you play is in the past. Plan the future and you can relax, the present will look after itself.’

-Of course I didn’t, but there you go!

(This tune brought back a conversation I had with my uncle about fly fishing when I was about ten years old. The Durham Ranger is a type of fishing lure.)
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I like this tremolo-free version a lot, Simon. It is such a catchy tune and you seem to be playing in a much more relaxed manner nowadays, especially your picking hand.
    Glad you told us about the origins of the Durham Ranger. I was picturing a lone supporter of one of the two big Glasgow football clubs living in exile in England.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very nice playing, Simon! I'm trying to hear what your teacher said, but unfortunately I'm one of those players who does sometimes get surprised by a note in the melody. Playing without mistakes is difficult! You always manage, so your teacher would be proud and happy.

The last time I had a car was 11 years ago. I don't miss it at all. Many people who have cars don't actually need them. It does depend on location and lifestyle, of course, but it's also a question of habit. Mandolin content: I even managed to carry a mandolin, an octave mandola and various accessories on the bicycle. It's difficult, but it works.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely tune and lovely playing Simon - as Christian pointed out you can hear how relaxed your playing is here, so fluid!
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon, I listened to the first version in the morning and agree with John. It sounds better without the tremolo track.
    I’m looking forward for your tremolo in a other tune – maybe a waltz.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks guys, yes I am feeling quite relaxed now, and my next tune is a favourite reel so I’m going to be more relaxed and more smooth.

Glasgow was part of the conversation John, my uncle was from Durham but he was relaxed most of the time. And on saturdays he would support Durham City. And then afterwards he was sometimes relaxed.
  13. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Nice pickin', Simon!
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I missed out on the tremolo version, so I can't do a competent comparison, but I couldn't find a space where a tremolo would fit in, anyway. It has that optimistic pace you go to the local pub with, looking forward to a pint. Simon & OM, a team like Smith & Wesson
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    ???