I will give my Love an Apple

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I will give my Love an Apple is an English folksong, that has also be arranged for voice and piano by the English composer Benjamin Britten. A guitar version of the accompaniment has been created by English guitar player Julian Bream. But I didn't use his quiet complicated guitar arrangement. Instead I came up with a simpler accompaniment of my own.
    On Youtube, you can find many different versions of this song. One is by the German countertenor Andreas Scholl. His voice I tried to emulate in my second chorus.
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Both instruments played with feeling. You work systematically and successful for a clean tone in the higher register.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice to hear the rain! I’d forgotten what that sounded like.
    Fine performance.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Certainly one of your best to date, Christian. The guitar figures are beautiful throughout and the mandolin has recorded really well and cleanly here. Lovely balance between melody and harmony. Visual content very engaging too! The skeletal hand holding the apple has totally ruined my long-held belief of "An apple a day keeps the doctor away"!
  5. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks Frithjof, Simon and John! Did you notice: the instruments are tuned at 465 hz? I didn't notice when I recorded the song, but a high e-string of my bowlback broke. The next day, I saw that my tuner is at 465hz, so the tune is almost in bflat mior instead of a minor. And I eat an apple a day...
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Been running in the hills to keep the doctor away.
    Looks like Mr Kelly’s been in the mountains looking out for wild roses!
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Christian, I agree with Frithjof, John and Simon: very soulful playing, certainly one of your best even by your high standards. And the sound of the rain was comforting considering that we've gone at least three weeks without it in the real world. In England! In April!