Die Birke (The Birch)

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Die Birke is a Russian folksong from a collection by Theodor Ritter. You can download it here: https://imslp.org/wiki/Russische_Vol...er%2C_Theodor)
    I tried to play it in rest stroke mode, but the quick change between a slanted pick for rest stroke and a perpendicular pick for tremolo is quite difficult:
    [
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I liked this Christian. You are very high up on the fretboard, that must be hard. I know with my arthritis in my fingers I couldn't do that. Also, it was a beautiful birch tree but I thought the translation on YT was The Bird...but it makes sense now. We have many birches on our property and we lost a few over the winter, which is a shame. Thanks for sharing a lovely tune.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting tune there, Christian. Quite ethereal when you come in on the higher register and the guitar backing is so effective. The tune collection looks fascinating - lots there for you to work through.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nicely played with your new playing technic, Christian.

I couldn’t find the song in my mandolin school by Theodor Ritter. Therefore thanks for the link to his collection.
    This song used to be included in our school books. Some singing groups and school choirs performed it though with a slightly different translation into German than Th. Ritter used.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice -- thanks, Christian! Thanks also for the IMSLP link. I noticed that this was scanned and uploaded by the Cafe's Michael Reichenbach. According to the title page, the songs are arranged for "mandolin and mandolin orchestra", but the scores are for vocal and guitar only. I presume the mandolin parts were sold separately, but were not included in the IMSLP upload (presumably because Michael didn't have them). Ritter's mandolin tutor is also online, in five volumes (link).

Martin
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks Ginny, John, Frithjof and Martin! One of the reasons I tried to play this song was, that I heard Michael Reichenbach perform it on Youtube. His transition from rest stroke to tremolo is very smooth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZv4l2s3p4c
    Martin, the thing that is imptortant for me, is to have a written out guitar accompaniment. Otherwise. I tend to play the same patterns over and over again. In this collection, there is some nice guitar variety. And thanks for the link to the Ritter method. I may own paper copies of the five volumes, but I find it easier to print out the part, that you want to work on...
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Martin - It might be that the title page is originally from another issue of the Ritter collection. Every single page is marked in the headline with “Gitarre”.