St Patrick's Cathedral / Christ Church (John Sheahan)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a set of two more John Sheahan tunes. They are named after the two medieval cathedrals of Dublin, St. Patrick's Cathedral and Christ Church Cathedral. I have used Nigel Gatherer's transcription of both tunes:

http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/t...tPat/StPat.pdf

Note that Nigel calls the second tune "Christ Church Cathedral", but John's original studio recording is simply titled "Christ Church".

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful!
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was a great set of tunes very well played. Thanks for the pdf, these go on "THE LIST".
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frithjof and David. For some reason, none of the recordings I could find on Youtube have these two tunes as a set even though I would have thought it's a fairly natural combination. They were written quite a few years apart, I believe. The tunes (or at least Nigel's transcriptions) are considerably more straightforward than the other John Sheahan tunes I've recorded this week, but equally powerful. He does have a knack for good tunes!

St Patrick's Cathedral is normally played rather slower than I did, but I wanted to have a bit of energy in the set and this tempo works better for the second tune.

Martin
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting pairing here, Martin. St Patrick's is a new one to me but I have played Christ Church Catherdral quite a lot with a couple of our local fiddle workshops and had not realised it was aother John Sheahan tune. You play both really well once again, and your use of tremolo on the long notes is excellent.
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John. Yes, the second tune seems to be more widely known as "Christ Church Cathedral" rather than just "Christ Church" as in the original. I have seen it spelled "Christchurch Cathedral", too, presumably thinking of New Zealand rather than Dublin.

Martin
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    ... or perhaps some people just don't care about the correct spelling. I work at Christ Church University, and you wouldn't believe how often I see the "Christchurch" thing as if it didn't matter.

I digress. Nice set!