Roll Call!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This idea came to me when discussing our group reaching 200 members. Our membership continues to grow and grow, but we must have a huge number of members who haven't yet submitted a video or joined a conversation.

So, I thought it would be neat to see just how many different members would reply to this discussion!

Say as little or as much as you'd like.... how long you've been a member of the Song A Week Social Group, whether you've submitted any videos yet, what you like best about the group, what you get out of it, etc!

Me first, I'm Barbara, and I started this group about 4 months ago, when the Social Group function was started. I love everything about the group! I have submitted as many videos as I possibly could, and enjoy watching and listening to everyone's submissions! I've learned a lot about my own playing by watching my own videos.... and comparing them to others.... I enjoy the camaraderie, the friendly banter, the helpful hints... like I said, I love it all!
  2. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I'm Kyle, I play Irish bouzouki. I joined the group when it first was formed. I usually post a video when a nice Irish tune get's me revved up
  3. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    I'm Chris, I play a Michael Kelly Legacy FS. I was the second person to join this group. Technically, it was my idea! I try to post every tune of the week, but sometimes post others as well.
  4. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    I'm Ken, and I think I was one of the first to join. I've had a blast watching all the different videos that people have posted. Everybody has something unique to contribute, no matter the skill level. I have a slightly different aim than most people here, I think, in that I'm not as interested in learning new tunes as developing interesting arrangements. I love seeing the reactions to some of my more "out there" ideas, even (or especially!) when they don't work the way I'd hoped. I've barely had any time to devote to the group during the summer, but I look forward to getting back on schedule in a month or so!
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I'm Jill, I joined the group about a month after it formed, and, like Kyle B., I usually post when an Irish tune goes up. I enjoy hearing everyone's different take on a tune and also getting to hear all the different mandolins/OMs/tenor guitars/octars/mandolas/bouzoukis. My main mandolin right now is a very lovely Pomeroy A4. I agree with Barbara, the camaraderie in our group rocks!
  6. billkilpatrick
    i'm bill ... and while it's nice to earn some, you know, money ... i've been too busy to learn the last three SAW songs - hurry autumn! ... i'm a "fall" guy
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm Eddie. I've been around a while. I try to post a couple of tunes a week. I'll try any genre - at least once. I like to try different instruments - mandolin, mandola, zouk, OM, TG. In this group I enjoy the music, humour, casualness, variety, the ability to "poach" ideas and turnarounds, but most of all - YOU!
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I'm David and I like bluegrass and improvisation. I hate all forms of humor, especially irony.
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Os~~haha!
  10. jamann
    jamann
    Hi, I'm John. It's been 3 months since I had my last drink. Oops sorry wrong group! No, I joined this Social Group in June around week #6 Squirrel Hunters and it's been a blast ever since. I really enjoy this group watching all the videos and reading all the comments and discussions. I find myself drawn to this Group. There is such a vast source of information here that anyone at any level of playing can benefit from and everyone is made to feel welcome which is encouraging. Plus we have the best Group Leader. Barbara does an absolute wonderful job keeping everything running smoothly. What a great Social Group we have here!
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What Kyle Baker said above, except that I play OM.
    And I second what John said about the leader. Three Cheers for Barb!
  13. Susanne
    Susanne
    I joined a month or so ago. I've posted a couple of videos, but actually removed most of them, since I wasn't happy with them and want to keep my You tube account for my best videos or at least those that I'm happy with. I opened a Vimeo account for the tunes for this group so I hope that will work.

I'm not sure what I think of the group. It sure is a lovely idea! i was a part of a similar tune project here on the cafe some years ago, and it was actually that project that got me going seriously with playing the mandolin. But the same thing happened then that is happening now. I get discouraged because most people are so much better than me and I just end up comparing myself to others and feel hopeless about my mandolin playing.

However, I do enjoy watching everyone's videos and it's been a good way to be reminded of old tunes "aah, haven't played that one for ages..." sort of.

Very well organized and even if I get depressed at times over the whole thing, I can't stay away from this site for some reason
  14. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I'm another David and I've been around around since week#5. This is a great place to learn tunes and to smile while playing, well that last part wasn't true but I'm working on it. Another 3 cheers for Barb for making this such a welcoming place for everyone.
  15. David Casal
    David Casal
    another David (Golliat is full of fear) i am not able to put the machines running to record a video, and i think it is not good for the rest of the group see me playing rite now, so by the moment iŽll be seeing and learning for others.
    but i like very much this group
    saudos
  16. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I don't think I joined this group because I'd never join a group that'd have me as a member.
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well Don, we wouldn't have you, so you must have joined.
  18. farmerjones
    farmerjones
    Keep the faith susiakasinead! It's like getting on a highway. There's always somebody ahead of you, and someone behind. It only means we're all are heading in the same direction.

Steve "Farmer" Jones here. You may remember me from such movies as Just One More Potato, and The Sweetcorn Situation Vollumes 3 & 4.

Barbara's on one side of Iowa, i'm on the other. The corn is tall, and it's been foggy lately, so i haven't been able to see her. Maybe if i stand on the picknic table?
  19. David M.
    David M.
    Just joined this group today. Looks like some good activity going on. I'm on the OTHER side of Iowa...
  20. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    I'm Rob and I'm addicted to mandolin and need help...oh wrong anonymous meeting! Not as funny since Jamman used that one but I still had to do it! Beat me to the punch!

Love the group and I wish that one day I'll be as good and as consistent a picker as some of you! Until then you'll just have to put up with my shenanigans!

I hate funny people, too!...........

Susi, the beauty of this group is the range of talents on they're instruments and you definitely have talent! I, for one, would miss your postings! You can only go up from there!
  21. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    I learned of this group at about the 3rd week of it's existence and have posted an attempt at most of the tunes, plus a couple of additional ones. Even if I haven't posted for that week, I've watched and enjoyed everyone's efforts and have been pleased at the encouragement everyone provides. This is a great group and I hope it continues for a long time to come.

Tom
  22. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Hello, I'm Dana. I've been playing mandolin for about two years now, and pennywhistle for, well, decades. I took a bit to even notice the "Social Group" item, and another week or so to get over my suspicions at such a thing, so it was a good month after this started that I joined. But I'm glad I did!

I play mostly traditional Irish, and I joined to learn about other genres. I tend to post the tunes I either know or can pick up well enough to not be embarrassed at posting. Unfortunately, this means the tunes I'm here to learn are the ones I may not post. Mostly bluegrass. Y'all have posted some really fun BG tunes that I wouldn't hear otherwise, but I don't feel like I "get" them well enough to post, yet.

Like everyone else, I find this a great place to learn and share tunes, full of supportive and fun and funny people (except those of you who hate humour; you're not funny at all...)
  23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm glad to see people replying, and hope we get a lot more. Susi, I can't think of one video of yours that I thought was 'bad'... I enjoyed them all! There are certainly some VERY good musicians that are among us, and who submit awesome videos. But, there are also quite a number of submissions that are on the 'beginner' level, and that's good too! All of my videos are amateur-ish, and have plenty of mistakes in them.... the way I feel about this group, and these videos, is that this is more like friends sitting together, playing, jamming, learning from each other, than polished videos.... at least mine are!

Farmer Jones... right now I'm down in Texas, so you'll need a pretty big picnic table!
  24. Susanne
    Susanne
    You are probably right, Barbara, I'm probably the most critical one towards my playing and my videos. Guess I'm just in one of my low moments this summer. But I'm sure I'll soon post again... it's too tempting to not continue posting
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm having video-ing withdrawals right now... it's been a couple of weeks, and probably will be a month before my life settles down enough to make any videos, much less try to learn any new tunes!
  26. Eddie Sheehy
    Susi, don't you dare stop posting! You have a wealth of tunes and ideas to share...
  27. wallygator
    wallygator
    I'm Walt. I play guitar, mandolin and sing. I used to run wild with the boys & band. Now I run to Church & God. Life is just about as fantastic as I'm willing to let it be nowadays.
    GodBless,
    Walt
  28. JeanM
    JeanM
    This is a fabulous idea and Barbara does an awesome job as the moderator. I check in to see what's been posted almost every day.

I've been lurking since the very beginning, but officially joined a month or so ago. I haven't posted anything yet, but I am practicing 2 or 3 of the tunes. I'm a slow learner and I have lots of "life" in the way right now so I don't spend as much time with my mandolin as I'd like.

BTW: I'm so glad there is a wide range of styles, abilities, etc. in the postings -- it's great to see that everyone feels welcome to share their work.
  29. Newtdude
    Newtdude
    Hi Everyone. I'm Shawn. I confess to exactly zero posts, though I've followed events closely for a couple months now. Right now I live in Sweden, but I'm an American and am returning to the states next month. Anyway, southern Flavor inspired me last week, and I plan to do a (late) first post of that tune (which will have to be in a couple days or next month).... I'm too busy right now to nail some of these songs in a week. I love watching eveyone's posts, and I appreciate how upbeat and encouraging everyone is!!! And Barbara is the absolute best, too! Thanks for everything!!
  30. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Shawn, welcome, and we anxiously await your first video! There's no pressure to submit any video in a certain time frame... just whenever!
  31. Dannibal
    Dannibal
    Hello All:
    I've posted once in the introductions. Haven't posted a video since I don't have a camera and no MP3 since I lack sound equipment. Sheesh. But I do love to play along and learn some new tunes. I do appreciate the effort you all put into this, it is a wonderful resource and a place on the web that feels fraternal, encouraging, and homey. So... thank you all.
  32. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    I've been a member for maybe a month now and I've posted a small number of videos although not of any official songs of the week. I've been too busy to record any for the past couple of weeks but I am still plugging away at learning some of the posted tunes. Until joining this group I don't think I had learned a new tune in more than a year so I have to credit the group with inspiring me to put more effort into my playing and repertoire. There surely are a great bunch of folks here. On the down side, the videos have been inducing in me an acute case of instrument envy.
  33. Dan Hoover
    Dan Hoover
    morning to all,i'm dan, nope,haven't posted any videos..many reason's why...yep, someday i will?might?
    but,i've been watching/learning...i'm picking up so much here...this cafe is such a wonderful site,vast amount's of info.....and this forum that Barbara has started is simply amazing..i greatly appreciate the amount of time Barbara and really all of you give in making your video's,demonstrating how to play these songs...the many different styles of playing,genre's...i truly enjoy them all....and getting to see and hear some beautiful mandos..cheers to you all..a great group of people...
  34. woodwizard
    woodwizard
    Hello, I'm Mike ... I am a mandoholic. Haven't posted a video yet because I haven't learned how too. Hopefully I'll figure that out in the future. I have really enjoyed watching the video's of everyone and I think this is a great! group.
  35. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Hi, I'm Tracy and have been here since pretty early on. I initially submitted a couple videos, but life has gotten in the way and I've fallen way behind! Still enjoy seeing and hearing everyone's submissions and different arrangements of all the songs, and I appreciate the helpfulness and wealth of info freely given out by the members.
  36. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Hello, I'm Kyle. I joined this group like on week 2 I think? And I have tried to post a video every week. This group has really helped me play better.
  37. llamela
    llamela
    I'm an amateurist in the great british sense of the word. The threads on this site provide a tapastry of tunes, a great pool with a variety of talents and levels yet in such a way that it is always the tune that shines forth. I have a theory about the jouissance of play, but mostly I am content to make the odd video and try to extend my repertouir in the direction of european folk tunes.
  38. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Hello All -- Bernie here. I think I joined in the first or second week of the SAW social group I guess.

Interested in BG, Celtic and old tyme and the order of those changes with my mood.

Its a great group of folks here and you can learn a lot watching others pick out the tunes. Never a dull moment!
  39. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    What? Barbara is calling us out? OK. I'm Sore Ears, I mean Gary. And I attempt each week's tune although I'm having trouble picking out the melody of "Pilgrim". I like seeing different picking styles so I can broaden my mando horizons. And I promise to never vote for a tune that I already know.
  40. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    I'm Kat - I've been here since week 1, but been kind of swamped since the middle of June - guess now that school's starting over I'll get a bit more organized and try to jump back in. I play a little Fender mandolin - nuttin' fancy, but I'm dreaming of getting a Webber Bitterroot, as soon as my 4 kids quit going to that pesky college thing. Meanwhile I play in the church praise band, and have a great time doing it.
  41. GTG
    GTG
    I'm Dan. I've posted a few times, but not many. I like the group - it inspires me to keep practicing. This group (sort of - actually the Whiskey Before Breakfast challenge) convinced me to go buy a cheapo webcam, and although it has been humbling, I realize very valuable too. I need to keep practicing with a metronome! Also, apparently I wobble my head and stare at the ceiling while playing. At least with my hands occupied there's no nose-picking on these vids! Thanks for the group - good fun hearing and participating.

I'm contemplating getting an e-mando and I'm a sucker for spacey effects, so expect more weirdo psychedelic versions of these tunes in upcoming vids! (Ok, probably some traditional acoustic ones too...).
  42. John Ritchhart
    John Ritchhart
    Just John. They don't call me fun buns for nothing.
  43. etteM
    etteM
    IŽm Mette I thought it would be a good Idea to learn one song every week...its not working out that way for me right now, but IŽll try to upload a video every few weeks
  44. Jon Hall
    Jon Hall
    Since I don't have a video camera I haven't been able to contribute. I enjoy everyone's offerings .
  45. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    Jon and others, if you have a digital camera chances are it has a movie function. Camera plus cheap tripod and you are in business.
  46. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    Terry here. I live in central Arkansas and decided to learn to play the mandolin after visiting
    Mountain View,AR a couple years ago. Seeing all the bluegrass jams on the courthouse square
    looked like fun. I bought a Kentucky 150 and begin watching video lessons on the web.
    I rewarded myself after one year of playing by getting a Kentucky KM-1000. I try to play
    a couple hours a day (if possible). I have posted a few vids and enjoy hearing other people's
    interpretations.

My only regret so far is that I have only been learning and playing melodies. I can play maybe
    30 tunes from memory but don't know the chords to go with the melodies so I haven't joined
    any jams yet. I'm trying to change that now. I recently bought some play-a-long jams CDs.

Terry
  47. Daci
    Daci
    Hi! I've been here a few months and I'm just loving it.
  48. Susanne
    Susanne
    And I'm just loving your avatar!!!!
  49. Jim Kirkland
    Jim Kirkland
    Busy summer, seeing the daughter off to Iraq, and adjusting to the 6yr old grandaughter has taken the toll on the personal life as well as the business. Thank goodness I get paid if I work or not. I am off to TN in the morning for 3 weeks of business and I will be hooking up with the brother and play a lot of music. I try to get on the site at least every other day. I haven't posted a video yet, but will do so as soon as I get settled a bit. I have a Click F5 being built now. I will get a try out in the white in about 4 weeks. Can't wait. Everyone keep posting so I will have something to work on. Oh I should tell you that I am taking the f5, oval a, octave mando, fiddle, and mando-banjo. I should have something to work on.
  50. Karen M
    Karen M
    Hi, This is my first post. I love the idea of a song a week. I joined awhile ago, then went away for the summer with one under played mando and no computer access. I was psyched to see off to Calif as a recent song as I enjoy that song. I am still a beginner. I don't know if you all really want to hear me yet. Also, I have not yet figured out videoing. I'll have to try my digital still. That might help my playing to hear and see myself played back.
    Thank you to everyone for all the input and participation. It is an inspiration to me.
    -Karen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast