Bransle des Lavandières

1. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Simon's old French tunes gave me the idea to try this one. I couldn't find an existing thread for it. These Med-Ren tunes are always a lot of fun!

2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That's an interesting intro, Dennis. What is the name of that instrument ? think maybe this called for your white poofy shirt, gee I miss that shirt. Happy Holidays, Dennis.
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    You're right, Ginny. I should have dressed for the occasion. I also don't have video recordings of all the instruments. I blame time pressure - had to get this done before picking up the little one from school!

The instruments in order of appearance: GT Instruments soprano cornamuse, child-size bodhran (thank you, son), Fylde Touchstone Walnut mandolin, Blue Moon octave mandola, Clarke tin whistle.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    My virtually nonexisting French makes me guess this means "Fight of the Washerwomen", which puts a very hot and steamy picture in my head
    Did you have to retune the stringed instruments for the cornemuse (very medieval - a true time travel machine)?
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    No retuning was required. This cornamuse is a Renaissance model in normal soprano tuning. The only problem is that the pitch is quite sensitive to the force with which you blow into the wind capsule. I can mostly avoid crazy squeaking noises now, but some notes are still a little off. It needs a lot of practice.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    An interesting tune and choice of instruments, Dennis. It is one that gets into the head like an earworm - the constant repetition in the short tune length really gets it into the listener's head. I must find another tune to listen to right now!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Authentic and enjoyable, Dennis.

If I listen to these medieval tunes a lot, then imaginary harmonisations appear in my head.
    I had assumed that this was some sort of mental defence mechanism.
    One defensive option I’ve occasionally tried is the stop button
    -but I find that if I dance to it instead then my attention is diverted and I get cerebral relief.