Toselli's Serenade

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Enrico Toselli (1883-1926): Serenata 'Rimpianto' Op.6 No.1

This arrangement of Toselli's Serenade is adapted from a setting for a "quartetto romantico" mandolin quartet (two mandolins, mandola, guitar) by Jim Hulley, circa 1980s, from the repertoire folder of our mandolin group. I posted the score some time ago here. It's one of the standard "Golden Age" mandolin orchestra repertoire pieces.

For this stripped down home recording, I have merged the second mandolin and mandola parts to make it a trio. This piece is often played much slower than I do, but Toselli's original tempo was 120 bpm. Also, Hulley's arrangement omits the repeats in Toselli's original, making it fairly short and sweet.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini bowlback mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Very sweet, Martin.
    BTW, it would nice to watch a video of your mandolin group in action.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frithjof! Not so easy to get a video of the group, as we're not currently allowed to meet.

Martin
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes very nice Martin, gently played, and good to hear all the different instruments playing together.
    I was wondering, do you go out onto the hills to play? That would make a spectacular vid.
  5. Brian560
    Brian560
    I agree with the others Martin,this played nicely. I like the interaction between the instruments and I especially like how clearly your Ceccherini comes through in the mix. You did a good job in modifying the arrangement, and in mixing the recording.
  6. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well done Martin. You play some really beautiful tunes.