Leaving Stoer

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is a very evocative slow air by Ivan Drever, who is also the composer of The Rose of St Magnus which I posted back in April.

I noticed that someone (Mandrian) had asked over on the Song and Tunes Projects if any versions of the tune had been posted, and I had been working on creating a version recently, so by coincidence here is Leaving Stoer. Played on mandolin, octave and guitar and recorded as usual in REAPER.

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing John, I like the articulation, sounds Scottish to me, lovely.
    And thanks for the wildlife images, with all this confinement I’d forgotten what the sea was like!
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    It sounds so beautiful, John. Mandolin and octave go well together and the arpeggios of the guitar support the melody very well.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Simon and Frithjof. I was very lucky to get the clip of the ringed plovers on the beach while I was getting the wave clips, and they obliged by taking off and leaving one to bow out!
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A comforting peace, just what you need when leaving.
    I wondered about that single bird left behind. Reminds me of Sean O'Faolain's book Bird Alone (fitting well in the Irish tradition of Deeply Depressing Drama).
  6. Callum Murray
    Callum Murray
    I have a few Ivan Drever CDs but not heard this tune before. Lovely playing John! The tune and video go very well together.
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting thought, Bertram, re the Irish tradition of Deeply Depressing Drama! We Scots, and especially those with Highland blood (my maternal granny was a Cameron of Lochiel) have a penchant for songs with "Leaving" in the title, and so many of them are really beautiful slow airs. I put it down to all the emigration that happened back in the 19th century for so many reasons.

Thanks for your kind comment, Callum. Ivan has some great tunes and songs.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    A contemplative tune, John. And I am awfully afraid we may be related. As you know I am a Cameron..and our clan was Lochiel, but one of my uncles decided he liked the Erract tartan better..but we are really Lochiel - so I think that means we can't get married now.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Ginny, I remember we had a discussion about our Cameron heritage some time back. My granny was born in Shielbridge, Acharacle, around 1880. She only learned English as a second language when she started school though I remember her tellng me that English was required at all times in the classroom, Gaelic being demoted to use in the playground! And I became an English teacher!
    Shame we cannot get married now - Len must be happy about that. We will just have to keep swapping tunes.
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The beginning wide intervall reminds me a bit of La Maladie d'Amour by Michel Sardou. But then, the tune takes a completely different direction.
    Beautiful melody very well played.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Christian. Good to see so many of us posting at present, and a good selection of music on offer.
  12. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    John,
    A very lovely tune - and nicely played. Great mix and relaxing images to go along.
    Thanks.
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I was looking at the Fiddle-icious tune archive to find something other then a waltz, but not nessecarily a reel or a hornpipe. searched Youtube for a video of this tune, saw John's version and liked it so much, that I started working on it. I used my Cremonese mandolin sans tremolo and my classical guitar.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks for reviving this fine tune, Christian. You have done a great job on this one and the images of the Scottish scenery are very appropriate.
    Thanks too, belatedly, to Bad Habbits for kind comments from back when I posted the tune.
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Love the echo sounds, deliberate rhythm and nostagic feeling Christian, do you use reverb or are you playing in a large room?
    Nice to hear a clear separation of instruments with the stereo too.
    I want to start doing more post-production but not sure how to go about it.
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very baroque, cathedraliciously dripping single notes like scented candlewax on our hearts from above. Masterpiece, Christian
  17. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks also for the revival. I missed Johns original post that's lovely. Loved yours for all the afore mentioned reasons. Really sweeet.
  18. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A very different but indeed sweet recording, Christian.
  19. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks, Gentlemen!