Mira Mare (Danish waltz)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a lively waltz written in 2004 by the Danish accordionist Janet Vahl, which I have learned from the score at:

https://www.spillefolk.dk/nodesamlin...ey=va-miramare

Played as a duet on two mandolins, with an arpeggio accompaniment on tenor guitar.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That is a great waltz and it sounds amazing in your recording.

I just played though the melody line – it is fun to play this music.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a fine composition, Martin, and it would really suit an accordion. Your arrangement and playing are excellent and the sound balance is spot on.

Thanks for link to notation too.
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great recording!
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks a lot, all. It's fun to play, with those accordionesque arpeggio runs punctuating the tune.

Martin
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    An accordion tune though it may be, it is excellently transported nearer to the Italian feel the name of Miramare* suggests, by the mandolin sounds.

*) Miramare castle near Trieste, Italy, is a spot to visit. It was the last residence of Maximilian I, before he foolishly agreed to be King of Mexico. It bears a strange resemblance of Kylemore Abbey, Connemara, Ireland.
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great recording Martin!
    And thanks for the link to spillefolk.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Martin, after hearing your version I decided that I wanted to play this tune, and especially as you had also provided the link to the arrangement. I did alter the chords a bit. I have played it on mandolin with mandolin harmony and guitar arpeggios and at a slower tempo than you played (I am older than you). Melody only first time in each part then harmony added. Originally an accordion tune, I felt that the slower pace might well suit our mandolins.

Decided too to give the Mandolin Cafe shirt an airing for this one (thanks to Ginny).

9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Lovely harmony playing, John. The two mandolins are perfectly in sync, like being played by one man
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Delicious!
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John. Sounding great! Very different character at that slower tempo, but I think it works either way.

Martin
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very well arranged and played!