Davering Damsel

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I've been working on this for some time now, I'm not sure if it's a real tune or just a bunch of notes for a finger exercise. Let me know if you think it's any good. I've got so much time invested I was compelled to post it. Davering, I believe is an old Scottish word meaning: riding or walking in a dazed condition or stupor. The Damsels in the video are mostly from Rossetti and are not at all davering. Played on my GDAE tenor guitar, concertina, guitar & cello.

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing David, that octave has great tone.

Couldn’t find the word Davering, but I did find this:
    waver (v.)
    late 13c., weyveren, "to show indecision," probably related to Old English węfre "restless, wavering," from Proto-Germanic *wębraz (source also of Middle High German wabern "to waver," Old Norse vafra "to hover about"), a frequentative form from the root of wave (v.). Related: Wavered; wavering.

About the tune, if you really wanted to modify it maybe you could prune a couple of notes from the first and third measures of the B part, and give it more decision , grandeur and majesty, and similar in the A parts. I guess you could do that but then the damsels wouldn’t vafra.
    It’s great as it is.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    David, I can’t say anything helpful about the composition. The execution with your assemblage of fine instruments sounds as great as ever.
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I agree with Frithjof and with Ginny's comment on YouTube: It sounds great, and like something from Playford. A really nice feel.

I don't think it needs improvement, but you could play with the dynamics in the accompaniment - especially in the B part - to increase the sense of drama.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A very fine piece of composition, David, whether yours or not. I certainly think it is worth keeping and does not need any alteration.
    Re "davering" - I did not know this word in Scots, but in my part of Scotland we used the word "dovering" meaning to be in that state of consciousness just before falling asleep, when the mind is hovering between alertness and dream state.
  6. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely playing as usual David
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    In my dictionary to daver means to wander in a fog, something I practice daily. I love this piece you did, David - so much talent in creating and executing this and I congratulate you on an excellent tune.
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    This is certainly more than a finger exercise, it's a fine tune.
    I especially like the cello.
  9. Brian560
    Brian560
    That certainly is a good composition. I always like your varied instruments, including in this one. Since it is an original composition, and you did mention finger exercise; I cant help but wonder how it would sound on a single instrument.