Go And 'List For A Sailor

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is an English morris tune, also sung with lyrics (e.g. on the classic "Morris On" album with vocals by John Kirkpatrick). We're playing this arrangement by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni regularly with our group. I previously recorded it in 2017 and was sure I had posted it here on the SAW group. I can't find a previous thread, so I'm starting a new one.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nicely done, Martin. I have always loved the tone of that mandolin you're using. What genre would you say this is?
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Ginny. it's a morris tune. Here are two recordings, both by bands led by Ashley Hutchings. The first is the vocal version, from the classic 1972 album "Morris On" (credited with launching the morris revival in England):

The second one is rare video footage from a 1979 ITV documentary on The Albion Band (featuring at that time most of the Morris On musicians), playing an instrumental version of the tune with a morris dancer on stage:

Martin
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Martin, nice and better even than June Tabor.
    I heard this years ago sung as a Slow Air I think. Sung by A.L. Lloyd.

Here’s the notation
    X:1
    T:Go and 'List for a Sailor
    R: polka
    M: 2/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Edor
    B,2|:E2 EF | GF GA | B2 e2 | B2 Bc | d2 d2 | d2 FG | AB AF | D2 F2|
    E2 EF | GF GA | B2 e2 | B2 Bc | d2 F2 | A2 GF | E4 |1 E2 B,2 :|2 E2 B2 ||
    |:e2 e2 | e2 fe | d2 B2 | B2 c2 | d2 d2 | d2 FG | AB AF | D2 F2| E2 EF |
    GF GA | B2 e2 | B2 Bc | d2 F2 | A2 GF | E4 |1 E2 B2 :|2 E2 B,2 ||
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Very nice recording of all the instruments, Martin. Great timing.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's one of my favourite versions of this tune, too. You nailed this one!

Morris is still relatively popular here in East Kent, and you play the melody and accompaniment with the same danceable polka rhythm as the bands around here do.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, all! It's a fun tune, and like many morris tunes just so inherently happy and bouncy.

Martin