Den vaegelsindede (Danish waltz)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This waltz was written by Frede Nielsen from Denmark, and also has the alternative name "Fredes vals", after its composer.

The score for two voices plus chords is here:

https://www.spillefolk.dk/nodesamlin...f?t=1179771903

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Excellent Martin!
    -for some reason I have strong memories of taking breakfast 56 years ago in Germany.
    We were staying at a gasthaus and ate in an enormous restaurant with tall ceilings.
    They had a large radio on a table and often played music, even during meals.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I really like this one, Martin, and thanks for the link to the notation. Your version is beautifully played here.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for this nice waltz (expertly played) and thanks for the link, too.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Simon/John/Frithjof. There are a very large number of wonderful Scandinavian tunes with harmony parts at the Spillefolk site and even after all these years of going there I've only just scratched the surface.

Martin
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Will tab out the accompaniment later... thanks again Martin.

X:1
    T:Den Vægelsindede
    S:SimonDS
    R: Waltz
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    K:G
    |B,3 C B,A,|G,2B,2D2|G3F GA|B4B2|c3 d cB|A2DFA2|B3 c BA|G2D2D2|
    B,3 C B,A,|G,2B,2D2|G3F GA|B4B2|c3 d cB|A2DF AF|G3A GF|G4 Bd|
    |:g2g2g2|g2f2e2|e2d2d2|d6|c2c2c2|c2B2A2|A2E2E2|F2D 2D2|
    B,3C B,A,|G,2B,2D2|G3 F GA|B4B2|c3d cB|A2DF AF|G3 A GF|1G4 Bd:|2G6|
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Martin, your playing of this tune really got me wanting to have a go at it, so here is my version now. I used the two mandolin parts from the arrangemnet you linked to and added mando chords and minimal guitar to suggest a bass line. I play it a bit slower than you have done, maybe too slow?

The flowers are Japanese windflowers, white foxgloves and white heather from my garden.

8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John. It sounds quite different and quite wonderful played at the slower speed and without tremolo. I find that when I learn a tune from the printed page without having a recorded example, like here, that it seems to pick its own tempo without much conscious thought. It is only when I hear somebody else playing it at a different tempo that I notice that other choices may be equally appealing, or indeed more so.

Martin
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Lovely versions all 'round. I would have loved this one but would mess up the spelling....I had a hard enough time with the Shcwiberitz one..was it..?
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sounds great, it’s almost an Air.
    Fine playing John, the chords here played slowly give this one a sedate, majestic feel.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all.

Martin, I was not aware that I was playing the tune so much more slowly than you did until I had another listen! I had a track of guitar chords but decided not to use it as it was making the tune a bit heavy, so I restricted the guitar to single note pseudo-bass line.

Ginny, remember you could copy and paste the title in to your tune after you recorded it. I really think this tune would suit your playing a lot.

Simon, you are right in that I often tend to play more in an air style, though this one is fairly strict tempo (I hope). I kept the chords to the first time round, with no harmony, then on second time I stopped the chords and played the harmony. Anything to add a wee bit of variety.
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    What I like about this tune is that the melody has a range of two full octaves, from the open G string to the G above the open E. It makes for a more varied texture.

John: I think the reason why yours has the feel of an air is not just the slower tempo but also because you don't have the strict ONE-two-three waltz rhythm.

Ginny: You can always use the alternative name for the tune, "Fredes vals". Easier to spell. The "Frede" in question, Frede Nielsen, is still active with his band Højreby Spillemandslaug, about to celebrate their 40th anniversary. This waltz is from their 1993 album "På Lang Afstand", but there doesn't seem to be a recording of it online to see how they were playing it.

Martin
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes John, you have more accent and longer note length for the first beat of the measure, which to a certain extent is often the case for waltzes but when accentuated I feel it’s more epic.

I like the surprises in this one.
    I feel that it’s flirting with the phrygian mode at the begininng with the B note. Quickly drops back to Gmajor and is reasonably standard till that 4th measure and that B note or B minor chord again. Then in the eighth measure the jump from G down to D implying the missing B (?)

In the B part it’s the C in the fifth measure creating a bit of tension and the F# in the eight measure which gives a feeling of resolving on the Bm again but drops suddenly to D, which is what we would normally expect.

(I think that’s what’s happening!?)
  14. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice recordings from both of you.
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    John, I like your recording a lot. It would be boring if we had some exactly equal recordings in every thread. I find it exciting how different our fellow SAW members arrange their recordings.

Martin, I like both ways to learn a tune. It’s so great to have access to different recordings today. OTOH it’s kind of adventures to take an unknown sheet music and then to try and play it on your instrument until it works (or not).

In the case of this waltz I was happy to find the (original) video on the spillefolk website.

There is a tiny YouTube button right under the PDF button. That works by some not all tune of spillefolk.
  16. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frithjof. I am aware of the Youtube links on Spillefolk (great resource!), but must have missed the link in this instance. Probably because I was playing from a printout I made several years ago when I made my own songbook of Spillefolk tunes. The video was added after my printout. I think that's fairly close to how I was playing the tune, with a bit of added energy that comes from playing for actual dancers (and having about twenty fiddlers plus four accordions).

Martin
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a great video of a lively, live session, Frithjof, and as Martin says, the presence of dancers really lifts the playing so much.
  18. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That accordionist seems to have an extra long shoe to tap the beat!

Very enjoyable versions from Martin and John, too. I agree with the comment that the various styles in this group are one of its assets. I always look forward to everyone making a tune their own.