Don Quixote - Gordon Lightfoot

1. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

As per request, another Lightfoot tune and a photo essay of him 'through the years'. The fact that I remember many of these photos makes me feel old..which I am..so be it. There is a dearth of photos from the middle years as he was seriously ill for quite some time - so you will see some repeats from Leaves of Grass that John Kelly and I did.
    My daughter and I are actually in the shot near the end where he is receiving a plaque from the Lieutenant Governor.
    Emory is always shy of taking any spotlight away from the mandolin - but this time I told him - Lightfoot is all about the guitar - which he knows very well - so he upped the anti with his 12 string.
    Thanks for watching.
  2. Brian560
    Brian560
    Excellent presentation Ginny. I like the way the 12-string sounds with the mandolin and am glad Emory agreed to use it.
  3. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Very nice, Ginny. Nice picking partner you have there.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    The 12-string adds a lot to the mix, Ginny. Great idea to have it included, and the steady bass pattern. The backing helps to recreate the song rather than just the tune, I think. Your mandolin comes through well in the mix too. Listening to the melody line I can hear phrases that remind me of the old Liverpool folk song "Johnny Todd he took a notion, for to cross the Ocean wide..."
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely playing Ginny!
    You sure know how to produce vids!
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you for your comments. I suggested the 12 string as it is a Lightfoot staple and the melody needed some oomph. Lightfoot is obsessed with tuning all the guitars and does it several times before and during performances - he alone takes responsibility for all the tuning, not tech crews. I understood that watching Emory tuning the 12 string. Glad we only have 8. And even those take me a while. Lightfoot will be 82 soon and has concerts booked for 2021.
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great performance and video Ginny!