Mrs Helen N Robertson

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This lovely Scottish slow air in 3/4 time was written in 1969 by A S Robertson for his wife Helen. We play it a lot in our sessions here along with others such as Margaret's Waltz, Margaret Ann Robertson (not related to Helen, I don't think) and Kate Martin's Waltz. Very popular with our fiddle and accordion players.
    I recorded 4 tracks via REAPER, mandolin melody, mandolin harmony on 2nd time around, and guitar backing in open position and with capo at 7th fret.
    The river is my favourite local water course, the River Echaig.

2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Helen Robertson would have been very pleased with this recording. You have a gift for making these slow airs sound very poetic.
  3. Leo37
    Leo37
    Wonderful, both, the music and the river. I like the natural sound of your recordings.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for sharing another beautiful Scottish slow air with us. You played it very tasteful, John.
  5. Brian560
    Brian560
    Nice presentation John. Your playing is as fluid as that river.
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    ..good one Brian. Nice tune John and well played, as always. You must be surrounded by flowing rivers. I have couple for us but have not been able to record of late, so back to you soon.
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks once again for the very encouraging feedback, everyone. Just what we have been saying elsewhere about the SAW group.
    Looking forward to whatever you have in mind, Ginny, and get back to recording as soon as you can. Our flowing rivers are one of the benefits of having lots of rain!
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ahh - such a peaceful tune, and the world seems to be at ease with itself.
    That river looks like it has a lot of water to handle, with the banks almost disappearing.
  9. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    what a lovely tune John! I enjoyed the nice ringing tones of your mandolins. Very well played.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Bertram and Hendrik. It is a very lovely tune.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really like the way you play with tempo John, well done.

-another five days at least of 32 degree, though we occasionally get very heavy rain, for ten minutes.
  12. bbcee
    bbcee
    Sorry to have missed this, John - lovely melody, well-played and harmonized.

And that is a proper river!! Here in my corner of Spain, any little trickle has a heroic-sounding river name. Of course in these weeks, with no rain in sight, they're not even that.