the showmans fancy

1. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    i know this one is in here but for the life of me i just couldnt see it. i havent played or learnt a hornpipe in years, i must pick a few more up , not quite sure if i got that hornpipe feel to it but was fun anyway

2. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    You played it very fluently! The intonation on your mandolin is not perfect. I think you have to move the bridge a little upwards to the neck. Other than that, you played it very well!
  3. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thanks Hendrik, you could be right , ive only just changed strings, its possible i could have moved the bridge slightly.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great display of triplet playing there, G. Hendrik, your ear outperforms mine, I have to admit, but I have age on my side as an excuse!
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gortnamona that’s the tune I have to learn to get my triplets sorted! Fine smooth playing.
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice triplets, I adore that!
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Yes, that sounds like a tune I would give a try. Your triplets are great as usual, Lawrence!
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Wow..great triplets G. Very nice.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Making a solo arrangement sound so interesting is a real skill. Well played!
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff Lawrence, just learnt that one meself recently as well!
  11. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thanks folks, yes Jill it was the banjo heads that turned me onto it, thanks
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Like I almost promised I gave this hornpipe a try:

13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice picking, Frithjof.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well played Frithjof. Brave of you to attempt this, I’m still nervous about attempting that many triplets in one measure!
  15. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like this Frithjof. Well played.
  16. Brian560
    Brian560
    Great playing on that Frithjof. It sounds as if you could play it all day !
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Frithjof!
  18. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for all the nice comments.
    The triplet cascade within the B part was a real challenge. But to accept a challenge is a good starting point to learn something new, isn’t it?
  19. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    A triplet cascade..what a lovely term...and you did them so well too.
  20. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    likewise Ginny, a triplet cascade , love it and well played .
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    The triplet rapids for me.
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks again. I’m happy to get a nice comment from the triplet masters Jill and Lawrence.
  23. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Frithjof, that's praise from high quarters indeed from Jill and Lawrence, and it's well deserved. Well played! And I like the shirt, too.
  24. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Dennis.