Capt E. Tosh 1st V.B.R.H.

1. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Emslie Tosh came from Dundee and served as a lieutenant with the 1st Volunteer Battalion Royal Highlanders in the Boer war. I do not know when he was promoted to Captain but by the time of his death at the battle of Loos in 1915 he was a Major and second in command.
    This tune comes from Logan's Collection of Highland Bagpipe Music Book 6.
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Maudlin - I did not know you were 'rosefertilizer' - but I found your YT channel and am glad to subscribe if that's OK with you. I like the clarity and the harmony on this tune. You have a lot of tunes, I look forward to going through them.+I just spilled iced tea on my keyboard, I should probably do something about that.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This calls for the roll of snare drums. The duet in its simplicity comes across as very militaristic (which is intended, I assume), and the accompaniment the second time round sounds almost too non-combatant.

Ginny, if there was sugar in your tea, watch out for keys that get stuck in pressed position.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Very good job, maudlin.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nicely played and I like the tone you have there.

And I believe one of my family members (Great Great Uncle) died in this battle -how cool is that?!
    -well he actually died eleven years later, and didn’t get a pension because he didn’t kick the bucket quickly enough, ‘and it was British gas wot did it,’ he used to repeat over and over.
    10,000 brand new recruits arrive in sunny France and the next day 8,000 get injured or worse...
    What bad luck!
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice to hear from you again! I didn't know this tune.