She's Sweetest When She's Naked

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This Scottish tune was first published by James Oswald in 1741, and may have been written by him. It appears in various other 18th century collections, sometimes as "Sweetness When She's Naked" and sometimes as "Miss Faw's Minuet".

For my recording, I have combined two quite different versions. The first part is from Paul Hardy's Sesssion Tunebook, who has it in 3/4 time, marked as a "minuet" at 120bpm. The second part is from the "hatao" site, in 6/8 time but with an irregular rhythm in the B part:

https://pghardy.net/concertina/tunebooks/#session
    https://celtnofue.com/media/files/sc...he_s_naked.pdf

Most online version seem to be pretty close to Paul Hardy's transcription. Not sure where hatao's comes from -- the similarity between them is rather limited. I like both tunes, though, and they make a nice set.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia bowlback mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    The first tune sounds great and suits my own listening habits.
    I assume that the second one with its little Far Eastern touch was a stiff piece of work. I can’t see the reason for that in the sheet music but made the experience myself when I tried to play through it.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That Hardy arrangement is lovely, Martin, and you deliver is so well. I am not sure that the combination of this with the Hatao arrangement works for me, but that is one of the joys of playing music.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely Martin really good, I like the first one especially.

This is from Martin’s Hardy link, I’d be interested to know if anyone can get this to work with mandolintab.net I find that the chord apostrophes prevent a proper printout...

X:19068
    T:She's Sweetest When She's Naked
    R:Minuet
    C:Trad.
    O:Scotland, Perth 1768
    Z:Paul Hardy's Session Tunebook 2019 (see www.paulhardy.net). Creative Commons cc by-nc-sa licenced.
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    Q:1/4=120
    K:Em
    "Em"E2 B2 B2|BA GA B2|"C"E2 G2 G2|"G"DB, A,B, D2|"Em"E2 G2 G2|"D"AG AB de|"B7"B3 A GA|"Em"B2 E4:|
    "Am"E2 A2 A2|A4 G2|"G"B2 d2 d2|d4 e2|dB AB de|dB AB dA|"Em"B2 e2 e2|e4 d2|
    "G"B2 dB AG|"D"A2 B2 d2|"Bm"F2 GF ED|B,2 D2 D2|"Em"E2 G2 G2|"D"AG AB de|"B7"B3 A GA|"Em"B2 E4|]

Without the chords:

X:19068
    T:Shes Sweetest When Shes Naked
    R:Minuet
    C:Trad.
    O:Scotland, Perth 1768
    Z:Paul Hardys Session Tunebook 2019 (see www.paulhardy.net). Creative Commons cc by-nc-sa licenced.
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    Q:1/4=120
    K:Em
    E2 B2 B2|BA GA B2|E2 G2 G2|DB, A,B, D2|E2 G2 G2|AG AB de|B3 A GA|B2 E4:|
    E2 A2 A2|A4 G2|B2 d2 d2|d4 e2|dB AB de|dB AB dA|B2 e2 e2|e4 d2|
    B2 dB AG|A2 B2 d2|F2 GF ED|B,2 D2 D2|E2 G2 G2|AG AB de|B3 A GA|B2 E4|]
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John, Frithjof and Simon. As I said, I do like both tunes which is why I recorded them both. The difficulty with the hatao tune is that there are four bars in the B part that don't appear to be in 6/8 time. I tried a number of approaches to accommodate that in the phrasing and accompaniment -- this one was the least stumbly of them, but I'm not particularly happy with it. Either way I tried it, it breaks up the lovely flow of the preceding melody.

Martin
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Obviously the abcConverter on mandolintab.net got bitten by the bug – assumingly SARS CoV-2.
    Every time you press the submit-button it adds backslashes at certain places. It like backslashes a lot – especially in front of inverted commas or quotation marks. (like you found out yourself, Simon)
    Since the site was down for some time during the lockdown, I hope this problem is temporarily.

Meanwhile I use EasyABC which I downloaded some weeks ago. It works fine. The only obstacle was to understand that it needs to install Ghostscript for Windows (32 bit) even on my 64-bit computer.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well played, Martin. That 6/8 version looks like a challenge, but I like the Eastern vibe. I'll certainly try it, probably fail, and perhaps forget again quickly!
  8. JLewis
    JLewis
    I hit that same problem a few years ago, Simon. Totally bumfuzzled til I stumbled on the solution. If your abc file has inverted and upright quote marks (also called curly quotes), it's not in plain text (ASCI) which is required for abc. Open the abc file and Save As, Plain Text. Should (may ) fix it.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks JLewis, I tried to just copy and paste the tune setting # 4 (because it has chords) here at https://thesession.org/tunes/64 into mandolintab.net and it still doesn’t work. The apostrophes look ok -vertical, and I’m only using a US keyboard. Wondering if anyone else gets the same result and thereby confirm that there’s a problem with the site, mandolintab.net.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon – you should contact simon@mandolintab.net 😉 I really think there is a problem with the abcConverter at mandolintab.net.

I tried another solution today:
    1. copy the requested abc in a text processing program.
    2. use the search and replace utility to replace all double-quotation marks with two single-quotation marks (= two apostrophes)
    3. copy and paste the abc in the abcConverter

That works (today) for the cord symbols. It doesn’t work for ‘s in the title and other text. I found a solution on my German keyboard with ´s. You may play with your own keyboard to get an acceptable display or printout on your software and hardware.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof yes it is the site. http://www.mandolintab.net/tabs.php?...y%27s&id=05423 This tune was random generated by the site and has the back slash in front of an apostrophe...
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Simon. I half expected to see the "she" of the title coming gliding out of the trees at some point!
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ha ha! Thanks John, no the problem was that pianos produce too much of a racket out in the woods.
  15. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice Simon. I love the nature concerts.
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Happy St. Patrick’s, fellow SAWers!
    (Just realised this can’t possibly be an Irish tune…)