Pig Ankle Rag + BANKSY

1. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

Pig Ankle Rag recorded at home on Tascam DR -05 - accompanied by some of the more whimsical (not too political) street artist graffiti paintings by the anonymous (?) BANKSY, a famous/infamous charachter based in England but whose work is world wide.
    PS: I looked for this as a SAW but couldn't find a specific week.
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great bit of ragtime playing, Ginny. Just right for tempo and rhythm, and the backing is just right. Very creative use of Banksy's artwork too!
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great music, nice pictures!
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This combination totally reminds me of The Little Rascals (Our Gang)
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing Ginny, good timing and interesting artwork.

This tune is #241 Pig Ankle Rag in The Song A Week list:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...377&do=discuss

And also #586 Pig Ankle Rag in The Other Tunes list:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...610&do=discuss
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks guys, ....Simon - should I repost it to that week, or one of the two? - I'm not sure of the procedure.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I believe the priority is the SAW, and then Other Tunes. If the tune (or alternate title) isn’t there, then you post it using the new (new for the MC database) title.
    Apparently, if you make a mistake then it cannot be rectified once someone has commented. Something to do with timestamps and customer trust?
    And you can’t write by Banksy because YouTube considers that to be misleading.

The procedure now, I guess, is to post a link to both the other two threads.
  8. bbcee
    bbcee
    Sounding real good, Ginny! The artwork really goes with the whimsy of the tune.
  9. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    That was very nice and clean playing Ginny! Did you know this was week#241 's tune? I remembered I played the tune back then in 2013 with a lot of "chinese" notes.. no grey hair??

10. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you for all the comments and advice on where to put the darned thing. - I had fun with this one and so far no one has called me a bad name....I looked for it as a song of the week but couldn't find it....I feel bad now..but mostly because I didn't understand much of what Simon said....Hendrik, that's a great recording of this song..super clean and crisp.
    If you look up a song to see if it was a SAW - do you have to go through the songs 1-500 +? Is there an alphabetical order..I tried advance search too - and then went to YT where some had done the song but not put the week in so...well maybe I'll just do songs no one has heard of.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hendrik, that is an amazing ragtime performance, and the backing is so good too. Good to see you posting after what seems like a long time absent (?).
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Great playing, Ginny (and Hendrik's old performance as well)!

I've just remembered that there is a Dave Swarbrick tune called "Banksie" -- I'll have to learn and record it. We have a Banksy artwork just outside our office in Liverpool ("Love Plane")

Martin
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Wow, that's a bit different! In spite of your YouTube name, that doesn't sound Celtic at all. But what a fine performance and production - it all looks very professional. With that kind of musicality and versatility, I can see why you have about twelve gazillion followers on YouTube!

Hendrik, the grey hair suits you. But you have obviously been an expert mandolin player more or less since birth.
  14. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Ginny...Due to the pleasure of listening to you, you can post new threads whenever you want, even if they are songs included in old threads ... you have my full permission! and you can put the titles you want here and on youtube ... you have my permission too ... what beautiful music!
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Wonderfully played tune Hendrik.

I agree Jairo, anywhere, and it’s ironic that they had a similar arrangement with Banksy.
  16. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Banksy appears where you least expect it ... always ...
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Ginny – you handled your Larrivee mandolin very well. Your creativity to produce good visuals to accompany your recordings is great.

Hendrik - great picking. I have to check the other recordings for week #241.
  18. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Cool tune. Really nice playing and video, Ginny. Enjoyed Hendrik's version too. I don't think I know any rags--time to learn this one.
  19. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you. Rags are fun with a bit of swing, which I enjoy but I find getting into the rhythm takes a bit of time.
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yep, rags are fun.

https://youtu.be/VOWp6ECqBcg
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Simon, definitely one of your best yet! Great swing to it and the backing is really good. You make me want to try this tune now!
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Go for it John! And thanks. I had a lot of fun with this one, might record Dill Pickle Rag this week. Look forward to hearing yours.
  23. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great swing indeed!
  24. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Excellent Simon. Left comment on YT. That must have been hard on the octave. Hendrik has some new things up on his channel - nice to check them out - the latest is Dawg's Waltz..so smooth you could skate on it.
  25. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    So it seems some YT comments are disappearing...this has been a YT issue for a few months..maybe they are overloaded I don't know. I have seen three of mine gone into oblivion. Just know, if you played a song, I commented and said how lovely it was. I think the same thing happened to Simon a week or so ago....??
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny yes it’s a great workout on the octave. I feel an improvement already, and I didn’t really practice it that long. The best part of tackling a tune like this is that for a week afterwards everything seems so easy -everything with this hornpipe-like rhythm and pick movement at least. I did find that my pick movement for Reels afterwards often feels ‘lumpy’. Not enough 1,2,3,4

Sorry again about the lost comment. The issue arrives because I post the tune as Public and then need a couple of hours playing something else (Reels) to be able to come back again with a more objective idea of the posting. I actually don’t see your comments from Canada until four or six hours later, sometimes the next day. Will post them Private first in future.

The issue I had with this tune was that I’d placed the backing track a little too far ahead of the melody track. This made it so that during the technically challenging parts any slowing of tempo was exaggerated. Now it sounds like the backing track is slightly behind most of the time and correct during the difficult parts. Well I hope it’s better like that, I’m never sure...

Also, because I was playing with Mr. Clicktrack, who is probably the most authoritarian musician I know, I slowed and speeded up very slightly each time I listened more to myself than to him. The result is a slight ripple in my timing.
  27. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well done!
  28. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thx D.
  29. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Simon - comments I have made on other people's channels seem to disappear and I go wtf ? It took minutes of creativeness to think of various ways of saying.."it's lovely"..which they always are. Even YT people are complaining, so I will assume that it is all over-use of YT while on the Covid plague.
    I wondered where you got your back track from - it was a little soft but I could still hear it. Emory did mine but it was at least a year ago - when I was on a ragtime phase..so he is in the description but not the end credits.
  30. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny, I usually record the tune and then zap it to my iPad, play what I’ve just recorded over headset and record the guitar track straight away. I’m lucky enough to be able to play the guitar chords by ear so it’s quite quick. Sometimes I’ll replace one of the three major chords in the key of the tune with it’s relative minor, but that’s it.
    The volume of the backing track is a compromise, some people like them, some people not so much.
  31. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Drats, I should have taken up guitar before i got so old. But John is excellent at it and adds his own flair to our music and then I wait for studio time to record with with Emory. I am not a one-person band like many of you. Woe is me.
    Martin - how lucky you are to have a Banksy near you...I thought you lived in Wales?
  32. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ginny, my daughter plays ukulele, really pretty sound, and it would go well with a mandolin. It’s simple, just regular gentle strumming. Not even loud, just extremely regular.
    -ahh, but you’d have to dedicate yourself to practice the strumming... with Mr. Metronome -that guy!!