Max and Lauri

1. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I wrote this tune a few years ago right after I got my mandola from Max and Lauri Girouard so I named it after them. I finally got the tune recorded with my friend Gregg Daigle on guitar. It's on a recording we released last year. Gregg put this video footage to it and I think he did a great job on it.

The mandola has a bog cedar top and red maple back and sides. Such an inspiring instrument--I need to play it more often.

Key of C if you're playing along. Sorry, I don't have it written out, but I'll see if I can work on that if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PGi...ature=youtu.be

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great tune, and great sound from that instrument, Don.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice tune Don, well played and the views are spectacular.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I really enjoyed that Don. I found your channel and subscribed - I didn't know what it was called. Now I do. Love the sound and the trip - where is this view we are looking at?
  5. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks Ginny, I don't know where the video is from. Gregg got it from his nephew who does a lot of drone video of great nature scenes. I'll see if I can find out.

Thanks John and Simon!
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I was thinking, it sounds like a warm and friendly tune that you’d play around a cabin fire or camp fire, is there any way to edit a vid of people playing the music to a drone shot climbing up away?
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Don, for sharing this nice tune with us.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Optimistic and straightforward tune, Don. Something for rising in the morning.
    Had me thinking - if ever those batteries fail on the drone, how do you recover it?
  9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    One of Gregg's relatives shot the footage so I have no idea on drones and changing the video. Gregg put it together.
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great mandola and guitar sound and a nice trip.
  11. bbcee
    bbcee
    Great tune, Don, and that 'dola is the business!
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, you do need to play that mandola more often. And please post all the recordings here!
  13. bbcee
    bbcee
    Here's my run at Don's lovely tune. Tenor guitar & mandolin supply rhythm, along with iReal bass & chorus touches. My not-Max Eastman mandola does melody first, then my not-Laurie mandolin plays it second time around. The whole gang jumps in on the third round.

Thanks for the chart & backing track for this, Don. If you're looking for a good closed-position mandolin workout, this is it!!

14. Brian560
    Brian560
    Nice playing on this one Bruce, and Don also did a great job at writing this one.
  15. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is great Bruce, very smooth.
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice playing and great editing, how do you do that? The contrasting instruments. I put a mandolin and a guitar together and straight away it sounds like an underwater recording!
    Nice to hear from you too, well done.
  17. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds very fine!
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Bruce, that is a lovely arrangement and you play it so well.
  19. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks for the nice feedback all, much appreciated.

@SimonDS, welcome to the rabbithole of multitrack recording. Although your guitar parts don't sound as underwater to me as they do to you, the process definitely teaches you what fits together and how (and how!).

If it wasn't for this stupid virus, I'd suggest we get together and share a neighborly bottle of Cahors and talk recording!
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks again Bruce, the Cahors sounds good though I’m not sure what that is! I’ll check Wiki...
    And thanks for the advice, I often need to hear someone or a couple of people (I think John’s said it often enough too) say this stuff -my guitar’s capo is above the melodic instrument’s capo (!) and too many arpeggios on my guitar. And...
    I was listening to your track again and one thing I notice is that you really get every ounce of sound out of the mandolin, striking the strings firmly with the flat edge and right at the limit. So the mandolin sort of jumps up. Great tone. I’m going to have to try that. I know that the tone of my octave varies quite a lot, now I think about it. Weather and time of day (how I feel), type of pick, are three of the factors...
  21. bbcee
    bbcee
    I agree with John that less is more, when playing rhythm. Can be hard to do at first, but you'll be surprised how fast it seems natural.

Thank you kindly for the compliment! It's definitely what I usually aim for. Both my mandola & mandolin can handle however hard I play without distorting, and I like the tone.

This is the Cahors I was talking about - my favorite French wine (not that I know 'em all that well!)
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh that Cahors!
    It’s a lovely region, the town of Aurillac is quite close, they have a one week street performer’s festival there every year. Maybe even this year too. I went there once, really amazing atmosphere, performers from all over Europe and the World, and because the town is the performance it’s as though everything is possible, for a week.

Afterwards I tried to hitch hike out with the crowds of people in robes and other strange garments, all walking on the road carrying their medieval looking instruments. (The locals leave the town for the week and take their cars with them).

Camped overnight then walked to the next town to catch a train at a really old train station. It was like going back a hundred years or being on a film set.
  23. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Sounds great, Bruce! Honored that you put in the time and effort to learn and record my tune. Sweet! Thanks!
  24. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    A pleasure to hear this this tune and the super fine playing. Thank you for sharing!!
  25. bbcee
    bbcee
    @Don, the pleasure was all mine! I love playing it.