The Rose Of Raby (mazurka)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This lovely mazurka was written by Dave Shepherd, the fiddler from Blowzabella. For some reason, it seems to be particularly popular in France, where they have given it the rather unlikely name "Rose of Rabbit". I learned it in the key of A minor from the now-offline French collection of session tunes posted by Simon here. A very similar version is here:

http://ekladata.com/barachois-danstr...f%20rabbit.pdf

Played on my Gibson Ajr, with overdubbed tenor guitar accompaniment.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nicely played Mazurka. Your Gibson is a treasure.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Ginny! I love that Gibson -- I bought it from Cafe member Aidan Crossey many years ago. It's very beaten up but plays like butter.

The composer of this mazurka, Dave Shepherd, has uploaded a wonderful video of playing this tune in Fotheringay Church: Link

His description says: "Playing 'The Rose of Raby' a tune I wrote in honour of Cecily Neville Duchess of York and mother of Edward IV and Richard III, in front of her tomb in Fotheringay Church in Northamptonshire England. This was on 27 April 2015 six days short of the 600th anniversary of her birth."

Cecily Neville was born at Raby Castle in Country Durham, and was therefore known as "The Rose Of Raby".

Just to show everything is connected: in the century after Cecily Neville's death, her great-great-granddaughter Mary Stuart was excecuted in Fotheringay Castle, which in turn inspired the wonderful Fairport Convention song "Fotheringay" written and sung by Sandy Denny.

Martin
  4. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Another great tune Martin - thanks for the notation.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a great tune, which I hadn't heard before. And it sounds very good on your mandolin! A lot of people love those Gibsons, and this one certainly has great tone.
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    As the original site for the Tourne a l'Aube songbook is now down, I've just uploaded it to the Cafe (Link). "Rose of Raby" (misspelled as "Rose of Rabbit") is tune #296, on page 98.

Martin
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a beautiful mazurka and well performed by yourself, Martin. To listen to the playing of the composer himself is great, too. Thanks for the link.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely tune, nicely played Martin.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine tune and fine playing, Martin. Keep them coming.